GloriousEggroll wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: GloriousEggroll wine Reply with quote

So, I'm trying to get EVE Online to run more smoothly. Current stack is gentoo-sources-6.0.7, wine-staging-7.17 (both 7.18 and 7.20 fail to start the launcher) with dxvk installed, on a Radeon RT5700XT and a hefty CPU/RAM/mobo setup.

I have a couple problems. One, EVE just made resource caching, thus using shared VRAM, mandatory, which leads to memory leaks and eventually the VRAM filling up with textures and crashing the client. Second, despite the good hardware, there is no support for DX12 (despite that my card supports it), and the game is sluggish at times.

I have heard that there's a wine-ge fork ("ge" for GloriousEggroll's fork of wine-proton) that works really well, and that there is a package for "dxvk-async" that also really helps. But I don't see either of these in portage (main or overlays), and I also don't see a way to enable vkd3d on wine, which is necessary for DX12 support.

Can any of you help me with these issues? Is there an ebuild somewhere for wine-ge? Is there a way to get DX12 support into wine?

Thanks for the help.

EE
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In >=wine-7 several dependencies became bundled given they gained PE format support and system's ELF libraries are useless for this (this includes, faudio, vkd3d, jpeg, mpg123, etc...). So the USE were removed and they're always enabled, aka you get vkd3d support with at least USE="X vulkan".

Alternatively, there's also proton's fork of vkd3d (app-emulation/vkd3d-proton), which may or may not fare better with some games (goes the extra mile for performance too). It works like dxvk where you build the .dll and `WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix setup_vkd3d_proton.sh install --symlink`

Personally not a fan of dxvk-async (my experience with it have been very glitchy, missing textures and weird pop'ins -- albeit that's going to vary per games and I didn't try EVE), but there's an overlay that use gentoo's ebuild and add the async patch on top with USE=async (you could also patch through /etc/portage/patches as long as it matches the version -- may sometime be behind given patches need updates about every new dxvk version).

Note that not using dxvk (aka use wine's default opengl) can work better on games that have intense shader slowdowns (talking of where it seem like it "freezes" while waiting for shader to finish compiling, which is what dxvk-async tries to help with -- but in "most" games it's typically minor and gets cached).

You may also be interested in trying app-emulation/wine-proton (this is proton's fork of wine that includes most changes you'd see in things like GE or tkg builds based on proton), usable standalone the same way you'd use wine-staging with `eselect wine`. Things that work on protondb can typically work the same with it (if need experimental proton branch, there's wine-proton-7.0.9999 too).
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed vkd3d-proton and ran the script, but still don't have DX12 available on EVE. However, what I'm more concerned about is the memory issue. Is there any way to get wine not to fill up the VRAM with textures? I think that's my main issue right now. With EVE, it very often happens that the client needs to load a lot of textures, but then stops needing them after a few minutes. From what I can tell, wine doesn't clear that data out of VRAM, so it eventually fills up and the client grinds to a halt.

Any suggestions?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: