Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] browsers reporting wrong timezone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] browsers reporting wrong timezone? Reply with quote

hi,

I have started to check my browser fingerprints with panopticlick.eff.org and there is one weird information provided by all my browsers:
They report as TIME ZONE: "Arctic/Longyearbyen". This is numerically correct, since my real location shares its time zone with Longyearbyen. But why the hell are the browsers reporting this strange value and not what I have in /etc/timezone?

I'm asking this here because I think that it is not browser related (in happens no matter if I'm on Opera, Firefox, Chromium, Vivaldi or Falkon).

Any ideas?

Last edited by freifunk_connewitz on Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who reports the wrong time zone? Is it your browser? Or the Javascript code running on your browser? Or is it the web server you are connected to?

In Javascript, it's not possible to get the name of the user's time zone. But there is a function Date.getTimezoneOffset() which returns the user's time offset to GMT. A Javascript program can use that time offset to guess the name of the time zone.
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification! Learned something again. Now I tested other fingerprint checking websites and it turns out that this Arctic phenomenon seems to go back to eff.org's panopticlick itself. Other servers reported other time zone names. So I can relax that at least this is nothing that makes me unique while browsing the web :D
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: