Simple physics simulation / phun replacement
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Simple physics simulation / phun replacement Reply with quote

Many many years ago I played with phun. Phun was a very simple, 2d physics engine which allowed creating objects by drawing shapes and assigning them to arbitrary selection out of 4 collision classes, and connecting objects with fixes, springs, and hinges, and even adding engines to said hinges which would accept force and speed as their parameters. And once drawing is done, you just start the sim and watch your awesome design crash and burn. Good stuff.
The perfect tool for very rough prototyping, since drawing by hand offers little precision, but also takes very little time. And I have a few ideas I want to test for stupidity before spending $1000 on materials and a few days working to assemble the whole thing just to find out I need one more lever anchored outside of the frame.

The problem is: phun doesn't seem to be an option anymore. I think it left the path of Open Source, and even binary packages I tried failed to download.
Does anyone know similar software I could try? I'm asking specifically for toys, engineering-grade tools are way too complex and using them would take too much time for sake of precision I don't need (for now).
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I found,
https://alternativeto.net/software/phun/?platform=linux
https://github.com/hakolao/sandbox

good luck with your project :wink:
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.... Fisicalab and Step look promissing.
Thanks. Although cardboard, matches, and hot glue are easy to shape, moving parts keep getting in each others ways, and fine adjustments pretty much require rebuilding the whole thing.
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Algodoo in a VM is not an option? :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: