Pulseaudio service unit missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinbiosis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio service unit missing Reply with quote

Hello,

I am having trouble with getting pulseaudio to startup on boot.

I am on systemd with a desktop profile.

I followed the news item 2022-07-29 Pipewire Sound Server, using Step 2: "To use PulseAudio's daemon for sound", but there is no pulseaudio.service or pulseaudio.socket units to enable:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable pulseaudio.service
Failed to enable unit: Unit file pulseaudio.service does not exist.

I have pulseaudio and pulseaudio-daemon installed:
Code:
equery list media-sound/pulseaudio media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
 * Searching for pulseaudio in media-sound ...
[IP-] [  ] media-sound/pulseaudio-16.1:0

* Searching for pulseaudio-daemon in media-sound ...
[IP-] [  ] media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon-16.1:0

They currently have the following USE flags:
Code:
equery uses media-sound/pulseaudio media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-sound/pulseaudio-16.1:
 U I
 - - abi_x86_32    : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 + + bluetooth     : Enable Bluetooth Support
 + + daemon        : Build the pulseaudio binary (not-needed for pipewire-pulse)
 + + glib          : Add support to dev-libs/glib-based mainloop for the libpulse client library, to allow using libpulse on glib-based programs. Build the GSettings PA module.
 - - jack          : Add support for the JACK Audio Connection Kit
 - - ofono-headset : Build with oFono HFP backend for bluez 5, requires net-misc/ofono.

* Found these USE flags for media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon-16.1:
 U I
 + + X             : Build the X11 publish module to export PulseAudio information through X11 protocol for clients to make use. Don't enable this flag if you want to use a system wide instance. If unsure, enable this flag.
 + + alsa          : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
 + + alsa-plugin   : Request installing media-plugins/alsa-plugins with PulseAudio plugin enabled. This ensures that clients supporting ALSA only will use PulseAudio.
 - - aptx          : aptX (HD) over Bluetooth (many Android compatible headphones), requires media-plugins/gst-plugins-openaptx.
 + + asyncns       : Use libasyncns for asynchronous name resolution.
 + + bluetooth     : Enable Bluetooth Support
 + + dbus          : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - equalizer     : Enable the equalizer module (requires sci-libs/fftw and sys-apps/dbus).
 - - fftw          : Enable the virtual surround sink module (requires sci-libs/fftw).
 + + gdbm          : Use sys-libs/gdbm to store PulseAudio databases. Recommended for desktop usage. This flag causes the whole package to be licensed under GPL-2 or later.
 + + glib          : Build the GSettings PA module.
 - - gstreamer     : Build GStreamer-based RTP protocol module which supports more advanced RTP features like OPUS payload encoding.
 - - jack          : Add support for the JACK Audio Connection Kit
 - - ldac          : LDAC over Bluetooth (primarily Sony headphones), requires media-plugins/gst-plugins-ldac.
 - - lirc          : Add support for lirc (Linux's Infra-Red Remote Control)
 - - ofono-headset : Build with optional oFono HFP backend for bluez 5, requires net-misc/ofono.
 + + orc           : Use dev-lang/orc for just-in-time optimization of array operations
 - - sox           : Add support for Sound eXchange (SoX)
 + + ssl           : Use dev-libs/openssl to provide support for RAOP (AirPort) streaming.
 + + systemd       : Build with sys-apps/systemd support to replace standalone ConsoleKit.
 - - tcpd          : Add support for TCP wrappers
 - - test          : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
 + + udev          : Enable virtual/udev integration (device discovery, power and storage device support, etc)
 - - valgrind      : Compile in valgrind memory hints
 + + webrtc-aec    : Uses the webrtc.org AudioProcessing library for enhancing VoIP calls greatly in applications that support it by performing acoustic echo cancellation, analog gain control, noise suppression and other processing.
 - - zeroconf      : Support for DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD)
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing important --user/--global flags to systemctl, please check these in the instruction you refer to.
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrison wrote:
You are missing important --user/--global flags to systemctl, please check these in the instruction you refer to.

What does this mean ?

I also have a fresh install of gentoo and having pains getting audio working. Using Pulseaudio and alsa as well

Thanks
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb1277976_ wrote:

I also have a fresh install of gentoo and having pains getting audio working. Using Pulseaudio and alsa as well

Suggest getting help via #gentoo irc channel on libera, or posting a new thread with more info (please include output of 'pa-info' running as your normal user.)
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrison wrote:
jb1277976_ wrote:

Suggest getting help via #gentoo irc channel on libera, or posting a new thread with more info (please include output of 'pa-info' running as your normal user.)

Hi,

I actually did start another topic after I read this one. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1166746-highlight-.html?sid=119433b2d8533d6f8f1db0aa82a6b031

I didn't know what to post so I will start with the info you told me.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: