automate gentoo setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphaaurigae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: automate gentoo setup Reply with quote

Ive been busy to write a script for the setup process.
Came so far that i want to share it. Been a "few" hours on it - maybe somebody here who can enjoy it or parts off it?
https://github.com/alphaaurigae/gentoo_unattented-setup
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here we go again. Every new php coder writes his own framework, and every new gentoo admin writes his own installation script.

Don't be discouraged, it is a good learning experience. Don't get your hopes of sharing it too high though.
It has nothing to do with quality of your work, it's just one of the problems everyone involved solves in his own way.
alphaaurigae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i started out with this there was no out of the box solution i could find. The guides available dint cover everything for my ideas and it was a process of reading guides, squeezing goog and asking inon irc channels.. so i started with taking notes and setup by step put everything in script form...
abandoned it for a little while in-between because i was busy elsewhere and recently considered it a good idea to finish everything to a fair mockup - removed bugs, sorted and tested the setup over and over again...

.... the whole story and if it can safe somebody else time and effort nice....

Anyways, yeah been a neat learning curve too :)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why there is no out of the box solution for automated installation in case of Gentoo is because it will always be worse than the installation guide.
Whatever script you come up with, it will either be:
a) too restrictive to be helpful for other use cases
b) too complicated to be useful
c) possibly both

There were some attempts to provide installers in the past, but there does not seem to be much interest in using them.
There is also the aspect of support: after you had installed your system manually, chances are you've developed enough skill you won't be an annoying crybaby I mean completely break your PC at the worst time possible :lol:
So, yeah, congratulation on doing your homework, and welcome aboard ;)
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Ah, here we go again. Every new php coder writes his own framework, and every new gentoo admin writes his own installation script.

Don't be discouraged, it is a good learning experience. Don't get your hopes of sharing it too high though.
It has nothing to do with quality of your work, it's just one of the problems everyone involved solves in his own way.

Due all my respect, this replay is not up to the standards of a public support forum.

You could either:

1) Politely explain what complication there might be, without suggesting what's not gonna happen, because it's not you who's gonna do it.
2) Engage in discussion politely and discuss some technical aspects of the matter without imposing your limiting conciderations on the discussion.
3) Pass by without engaging.

Your back off in the second paragraph does not make your first paragraph more polite. Your replay is still definitely discouraging and disrespectful.

Regards,
Georgi
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a friend would ask me how to install Gentoo, I would recommend to go with our AMD64 handbook (or with my german installation guide ;-) ). I wouldn't recommend an automated installation because:

You have to learn Gentoo AND all settings for an automated installation !

... BUT ...

If someone has to install many computers with Gentoo, it should be done with an automatism. Now you can ask how many people install Gentoo in e.g. a company ? So, result could be, there are not many users needing an automated installation.

I understand all saying from @logrusx completely; I also know @szatox as a very kind, friendly and helpful user, so I understand what he wanted to tell to PO @alphaaurigae. Yes, someone can misunderstand his first post. That should be no problem in a discussion forum because we can talk about every aspect.

Many regards,
Peter
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphaaurigae wrote:
When i started out with this there was no out of the box solution i could find. The guides available dint cover everything for my ideas and it was a process of reading guides, squeezing goog and asking inon irc channels.. so i started with taking notes and setup by step put everything in script form...
abandoned it for a little while in-between because i was busy elsewhere and recently considered it a good idea to finish everything to a fair mockup - removed bugs, sorted and tested the setup over and over again...

.... the whole story and if it can safe somebody else time and effort nice....

Anyways, yeah been a neat learning curve too :)

Hello and thank you for your effort putting this together.

What I'd like to see is a summary in the documentation, what's automated, what options there are, what are the expected outcomes, what else could be done. I'd also like to see references to the handbook and other tutorials you have used.

In short I'd like to be able to understand what's this about without having to go through it.

One thing you cold do is write a tutorial based on your experience with links to other sources, so that when something changes, people could research and adjust on their own.

One thing you could have done is blogged about the process, but this one maybe for the next time as if wouldn't be authentic if you do it now.

Regards,
Georgi
alphaaurigae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'd like to see is a summary in the documentation, what's automated,.

- Bottom of the main-page Readme.md i lined out the default setup as first step. Those are the tested options as of now, the default setup ive run over the past complete testruns.
- The ultimate goal would be a wiki-page or wiki/Readme.md from my point of view ass of now.

Quote:
I'd also like to see references to the handbook and other tutorials you have used.

- Included links to the handbook sections and helpful pages in the functions comments ex:
https://github.com/alphaaurigae/gentoo_unattented-setup/blob/master/src/CHROOT/BASE/CONF_LOCALES.sh
https://github.com/alphaaurigae/gentoo_unattented-setup/blob/master/var/chroot_variables.sh
- probably can do more on that end in future, ill aim todo so.

Quote:
In short I'd like to be able to understand what's this about without having to go through it.

- I try to accomplish this on the main page indeed, so if one wants to go further (or start over after a break) docs and comments on var / functions do .. tricky to find a fair balance without bloating up everything in comments.
During the main mockup that turned out to be difficult as things changed so much, probably more easy now that the main setup is somewhat done,

Quote:
One thing you cold do is write a tutorial based on your experience with links to other sources, so that when something changes, people could research and adjust on their own.

- Starting to think the documentations i wrote are clobbered into so many different places that its hard to find an entry,,, wrote this in the beginning to remind myself after a long break possibly - maybe requires a different view.

Would be pleased to read constructive suggestions / ideas here or in the issue section on github ... most probably try to take them into account for further progress. I have some ideas to make it more dynmic / modular.
Want to keep it simple at this point and find a fair balance between whats needed, overload - time to implement and really test so that its working flawlessly..
Beside the documentation in general fe add efi boot beside bios boot as option, desktop environments, bootloader lilo maybe, basic firewall configs, root install without lvm and/cryptsetup... or a menu for the script, and test everything on a root server instead of a VM (partitioning hmm) - include GPU setup on the way...

More ideas than time, thx for the input indeed!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphaaurigae wrote:

More ideas than time, thx for the input indeed!

Well, chose small things and do them regularly, otherwise this project is dead without community around it. Hopefully people will find it useful and the community will form and this project will start living its own live :)

Regards,
Georgi
alphaaurigae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thx for the feedback indeed. Getting a clearer picture now ^^
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW when you update something, you need to post updates somewhere, including here. Otherwise nobody will know that you're ding something. Also add some information that would aid Internet searches in you README.md on github.

Regards,
Georgi
alphaaurigae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can follow me on github ... took a break now that the basic setup works. ill get back to it soon once other things that have been pushed aside while on it get done.
if i complete other milestones i may post it here to then too.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I thought this project would fade away, but now I see you're still working on it. :)

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: