Issues booting PPC build on Alu G4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenericBadName
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Issues booting PPC build on Alu G4 Reply with quote

Followed documentation here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC

Chose BTRFS as filesystem (owing to familiarity), compiled into kernel as default

When attempting to boot it returns: /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:4,/boot/kernel-5.15.59-gentoo: Unknown or corrupt filesystem

I've confirmed this looks correct in yaboot.conf, but I'm no expert with it (this is my first gentoo and first PPC build).

/boot isn't mounted (only contained within /dev/sda4 mounted as / ) so I think I'm supposed to reference it like that?

One thing is yabootconfig doesn't seem to be able to find kernel without me manually entering the path (which documentation implies shouldn't be necessary?).
GenericBadName
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up on yaboot, installed grub instead.

Now on grub loading I'm receiving "error: extent not found" when it attempts to load kernel. I've confirmed the filesystem is there, and tried editing to include rootfstype=btrfs but no luck yet.

Seems to be related to the fact that I'm using btrfs but there seems to be no guidance or recording of this particular error anywhere I look.

I would just restart installing using a less funky filesystem but it took 26 hours to emerge the @world set last time so I'd prefer not to. Any suggestions?"
immolo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use BRTFS but I believe you need to follow this guide:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Btrfs/Native_System_Root_Guide

Failing that if you haven't already changed it you could tar up your current install and switch to ext4 :)
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Try ext2 /boot Reply with quote

Hi,

I know that your post is a bit on the old side. I hope that you've already solved the problem.
Currently I have a PPC machine running Gentoo. I use yaboot to boot it. (Its a B&W G3)
I've always used a separate ext2 partition for /boot, and that's reliably worked for me. I haven't tried GRUB yet on PPC, so I can't help on that end.
If you haven't gotten it to work yet, I'd give yaboot another try with an ext2 /boot.
I might be able to help you with a yaboot setup. Post on this thread if you need/want more help. I'll check back from time to time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: