Usage of Intel's Clear Linux* Kernel Patches
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z33d3vill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Usage of Intel's Clear Linux* Kernel Patches Reply with quote

Okay, as promised, here is a clear explanation of what could be very useful to anyone, developing, using, learning, how to gain needed "case" specific Kernel benefits..

As an example, I love my hardware doong what it was manufactured to do, and some ;)

So, to start off, my prior guide was a bit (much) lol! This is a more to the point and less me wandering and getting others lost hahaha.. I digress.. okay, so, enjoy :)

As far as patches go, let's get a couple of really proven things (useful, necessary, word it as you see it needed)

I feel I don't need to mention this, for sake of (not all know, like others, I hence will)

Code:
$ mkdir -p ~/Kernel-Secrets/Special-Patches
&&
$ cd ~/Kernel-Secrets/Special-Patches

Whilst inside, run wild with either of these:
Code:

$ https://github.com/sirlucjan/kernel-patches
or
$ https://github.com/CachyOS/kernel-patches

My hat goes off to Sirlucjan, his repo's are well devised and laid out to browse and be very specific about what you might require (give it a look)

Okay, so, we have some patches (whoop) they wouldn't do justice in Sunday tea, so let's do something with them? Hahaha..

You have 2 choices, know, however, one is for thee laid back as hell and if you enjoy the Linux Kernel and decide to run into the idea of one-day to join the development making it thrive, and continue it's great existence, you'll prefer the 2nd choice.. (however, it's Linux, have fun, or you might find eventually all your best attempts at anything are running out of room to be stored.. errors are not permanent, well.. hahaha! How frequently do you encounter them aforementioned "errors" uh-huuuurm)..

Okay, so, putting the patches you want to have automated into your Kernel source (I use gentoo-sources) and my own madness of 30 patches plus/minus cause I can, how else do I study what something does ;)

Right so simple, your patches will be placed in:
Code:
$ mkdir -p /etc/portage/patches/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

Then it's rather order of preference (who expected me to say magnitude?) Nope, this isn't that type of showdown lol! And I speak English, not "let me try and confuse whilst saying shit equally as confusing")

Go to:
Code:
$ cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

Feel free to run the ebuild command as needed, to see what can work and what won't, Noting that which doesn't, can be applied manually so don't panic, your Bluetooth drivers aren't off the table.. (yet? Haha)

Your ebuild command is any of the following -->>
Code:
$ sudo ebuild gentoo-sources-6.0.6.ebuild clean prepare

Or
Code:
$ sudo ebuild gentoo-sources-6.0.6.ebuild clean merge

Right, at some point the obvious is (well, not going to work) so, let's give them the 2nd wind they deserve (Bluetooth for the win, right? Lol)

Sorry going to do this from my laptop rather, Sammy isn't working for me I need more typing freedom man haha :D (okay, where was I)

So migrate your desired patches that portage was unable to patch against the source from your ebuild run to:
Code:
$ sudo mv (that patch/those patches we just exhaled mentioning?) /usr/src/patches

The /usr/src/patches is needing to be ushered into existence by your hand, so naturally:
Code:
$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/patches

(10 points for huffledor-griffinpuff :))

okay, almost done, then you can escape my humor and embark unto new kernel moments :)

Lets go to:
Code:
$ cd /usr/src/linux

double check you in the appropriate place, or.. well, you can blindly hope and find out..

8O

now do get code sight of your "die-hard" BT patches :roll: 8)

It is enough to;
Code:
$ ls ../patches

this will save patching time: (or am I luring you into pain i learned the hard way?.. haha)
Using:
Code:
$ sudo patch
  --dry-run
  -e
  -p1
  --merge
  -Rp1

I'll say this much, you want to take your time doing what is up next, here's why..

quick example:
Code:
$ sudo patch --dry-run -p1 < ../patches/0001-Remove-intel-*.patch

1) --dry-run | better be welcome all year-round | one failed patch applied can cause a less experienced individual to turn their workstation downside out the window 20 storeys into smashed!

2) Don't hate the result, essentially it's your poor method, so just stay focused and your blood-pressure will get along with you for once :)

3) any correct combination of those 5 above "patch flags" can make (sane, correct patches be a breeze to apply) your patches with lower versions or incorrect "intended versions they were originally meant for, not your hackery. keep playing around, fortune favors the optimistic :)

and well, that's about it.
good luck, remember, the hard part is successfully building your mad-kernel-Frankenstein ;)

I'll re-read and add hints-tips in-between the above later in the new week,
bye for now
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: