Problems with Firefox
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbryant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Problems with Firefox Reply with quote

I've been having problems with the firefox browser lately. The problems started about a week ago. I just compiled v91.13.0esr yesterday. The problem persists.

Every once in a while the browser says "danger ahead" and prevents me from accessing a page. This happens with all sorts of pages that I know are perfectly safe -- DuckDuckGo, Sourceforge.net, and wsj.com, in particular. I filed a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1787536 a little while ago ... the first time I clicked on "submit", the browser said that Mozilla's bugzilla site was insecure, and it wouldn't let me file the report! Fortunately I had saved everything in a text file, and after I killed the browser and restarted it, I was able to file the bug report.

I'm just curious if anyone else is having similar problems. I have tried fiddling around with the "privacy and security" settings, but no luck yet. I do use a VPN plugin with firefox. I'll try turning that off for a while, to see if that's the source of the problem. Any ideas? Anybody else having a similar eperience? Thanks!

What do you know. Now it won't let me make this post in the forum. Time for copy, paste, and restart firefox, I guess.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Edit -> Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Security -> Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection

Is 'Block dangerous and deceptive content' enabled? Does it help to disable this option?

It could be the VPN plugin. Uninstall it. Does that help?
davidbryant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Go to Edit -> Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Security -> Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection

Is 'Block dangerous and deceptive content' enabled? Does it help to disable this option?

That option was already turned off. I can recognize insecure sites.

Quote:
It could be the VPN plugin. Uninstall it. Does that help?

I tried that yesterday. It seems to be helping. I'll turn the vpn back on and see what happens. Thanks. The odd thing is, I've been running this VPN plugin for about two years, and it has never given me any trouble previously.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: