Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stay with i8042.nopnp.

Please switch CONFIG_SERIO to [M] "=m" as well.

BTW: Your case is highly unusual. Don't be surprised that we are trying to solve this with a trial and error method...
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it does load up, none of the buttons work on it. Do I have to create a keymap for it? What should I do?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the output of 'dmesg'.

Please make sure that you test on a TTY console. It could well be that that there's another issue in your X11 configuration. We must fix the kernel issue first.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:
http://ix.io/47vR

This is the latest dmesg
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I don't know what to do. I'm sorry that I can't help you. :cry:
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kucklehead wrote:
Here it is:
http://ix.io/47vR

This is the latest dmesg

TL;DR
Code:
i8042.noloop i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp i8042.reset i8042.kbdreset

are these really necessary?
you booted arch for comparison - did arch also used some of these kernel flags?

Code:
cat /proc/cmdline

kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, those configs are not needed. I am or was testing certain arguments seeing what would work. And from what I've seen so far that a couple arguments from here https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Synaptics
Code:

i8042.nopnp  i8042.noloop i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp

Seem to work nicely such as it will produce something with my AUX port and Keyboard, however, the keyboard itself still will not work :/
I did add INPUT_DEVICE to my make.conf. Arch linux does not have any of those flags let alone i8042.nopnp. I've been trying to configure and create a working kernel again since it's been over a year but for some reason I am just struggling to get a working one.
I get warnings about deprecation,RWDX permissions loaded in tmp.vmlinuz, just unusual stuff that I've never seen or dealt with before. Even when I run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg I don't see any initramfs.img.. Only my vmlinuz and a intel.img. Even when I have compiled and created kernel multiple times, it's a far cry compared to compiling a gentoo kernel manually. When I do compile a kernel manually for gentoo compared to arch ( as for right now ), I don't get any errors at all.
I also run these commands when I compiled gentoo:

Code:

make -j3
make modules
make modules_install
make bzImage
cp -v cp -v arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-linux5190
cp System.map /boot/System.map-5-19-0-x86_64
dracut --kver=5.19.0-gentoo

There's no issue for some reason. No warnings nothing. That said, I cannot get a current arch linux config file uploaded as right now. For now, I can show the configs from a archlinux iso which I have said this before, the keyboard works perfectly in it.
But for some reason gentoo live, the keyboard does not work at all.
I use to have arch linux-5.15.5 or whatever it was, but I deleted it as I got cocky might have to make a post for that issue separately. I hope you understand my situation
And
Code:

[    9.082376] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3

Is not in the dmesg. I assure you that I am not editing it out or anything like that. I really want to get this machine to work and to continue to configure it before fall term
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Linux distributions use heavily patched kernels; Gentoo sources has only very little patches (its nearly vanilla). So, it could be possible that we dont have all needed modules for a latest chromebook (chromebooks are rather special anyway). Maybe we miss a patch for a/some module/-s ... maybe we have to wait for next kernel versions when patches goes into mainline kernel.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way I can report this? Even with the keyboard and the mouse built as a module and or built-in, it won't work. Or maybe I have to map it? Kind of grasping at straws here..
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kucklehead: it's difficult to say what's wrong here.
  1. It could be a bug or a missing quirk in the vanilla kernel

2. It could be a bug or a missing quirk in the Gentoo kernel (which is not the vanilla kernel)

3. It could be a bug in your configuration

4. It could be a problem in the way you use Linux. I don't like that you switched to unstable and that you use GCC 12. It's not stable

So no, I don't think it makes sense to file a bug.

I think that I could make your keyboard work if I had the notebook here on my desk. But it's too difficult to explain it in this forum.

There's one thing you can do. Instead of using the Gentoo kernel, you could try Arch's kernel. Download and install Arch's kernel sources and compile them with Arch's default .config. If Arch's kernel makes your keyboard work under Arch Linux, it should also make your keyboard work under Gentoo Linux. If you do that, don't forget to copy Arch's modules.conf as well. Maybe there's a module option for one of the modules (i8042, PNP, etc.) that makes your keyboard work? You may also want to use Arch's kernel command line options.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll install a stable kernel and use a stable GCC compiler. And if that doesn't work, I'll download arch linux kernel and I'll post
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It saddens me that you have so much trouble.

Please keep in mind that a dysfunctional keyboard is highly unusual. Many users report a black screen after booting or a dysfunctional audio card. But as far as I know, we haven't had a broken keyboard for a long time.

Either your Samsung Chromebook has a very odd keyboard interface - or there's something wrong in your kernel config or with your Gentoo setup. That's why I recommend to start making major changes like switching back to GCC 11.3, or switching to the Arch kernel and using Arch's default .config.

Last edited by mike155 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why but vanilla version with arch linux that I compiled manually works fine it's why it took longer to reply.
Here's the one I used https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/packages/linux/trunk/config

Here's the config I am using right now with minor adjustment to it:
http://ix.io/47NA

Here's the grub:
http://ix.io/47NC

I am still planning on switching my GCC to a more stable version and installing this kernel https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get Secure Site Not Available when i try to look at your uploads at ix.io.

please use wgetpaste from now on.

getting your own kernel options takes some time, because there are so many.

just start with the kernel .config which works perfect on your system and later you can slim down some options step by step.

greetings
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly even compiling my kernel with GCC 11.3, my keyboard still will not work.
Here's the config:
https://dpaste.com/HYRAHHBWK

I'll post my config of arch linux kernel config later on tonight or tomorrow. Keep in mind it also does say something about "Key lock active" one of the links I've sent surely has it. If not I will also post the dmesg config as well

Here's my grub config:
https://dpaste.com/8NZU9PZUM

Here's the /proc/cmdline:
https://dpaste.com/7GD9ERE58

NOTE: These links are from gentoo and not from Arch linux. After this reply, I will be working on posting the configs from arch linux. The system is kind of broken for some reason as I vaguely explained what I was dealing with
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my grub config as well:
http://dpaste.com/DB7KQ84EE

My apolgies that again that it took so long. I was chrooting arch linux using ubuntu and my ubuntu installation is odd. I am using kali linux and getting the links FINALLY:
Oh and here's .config that works for my keyboard:
http://ix.io/47Zb

I've been having issues with building my kernels and I think it's because of my ubuntu installation.
That said, I should have cmdline link by tonight if I am right. :D

Edit:
@mike155, I swapped my GCC for a stable version and built a stable version I downloaded from gentoo-sources. I have the links above this reply
Do I have to rebuild all my packages for my gentoo installation? All my packages have been built with 12.11 GCC, and only 5.19.2 and the stable I grabbed (5.15.59 ) has been built with 11.3 GCC

Oh and if you get what @CooSee gets. let me know as soon as possible
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me ask a question.

I don't understand this sentence:
Quote:
I don't know why but vanilla version with arch linux that I compiled manually works fine it's why it took longer to reply.

Which kernel did you compile? And where? Did you copy the Arch kernel sources (or the vanilla kernel sources?) to Gentoo? Did you compile it under Gentoo? With GCC 12? Does it work under Gentoo?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kucklehead wrote:
@mike155, I swapped my GCC for a stable version and built a stable version I downloaded from gentoo-sources. I have the links above this reply
Do I have to rebuild all my packages for my gentoo installation? All my packages have been built with 12.11 GCC, and only 5.19.2 and the stable I grabbed (5.15.59 ) has been built with 11.3 GCC

Well, it depends (as always).

You can install multiple versions of GCC in parallel (it is slotted). You can switch GCC versions with the commands below:
Code:
eselect gcc list
eselect gcc set

Usually, there's no need to rebuild the toolchain or all packages if you switch to GCC 11 to build a kernel. Switch back after that.

Additional steps may be necessary if you update the GCC you use to compile your world. Sometimes, it is necessary to rebuild binutils and libtools. Sometimes, when there are changes in the C++ ABI, it is necessary to rebuild all C++ libraries and applications. Usually, Portage takes care of that. In rare cases, there's a news item with additional instructions.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to what I did to my arch linux. Basically, I downloaded the 5.19.1 from www.kernel.org ( Which has a lot of issues about deprecating and what not. ), and I am assuming that's the vanilla version I grabbed ( correct me if I am wrong ) compiled it even when I was getting warnings. Installed the modules and made the initramfs using mkinitcpio -p linux5191. Booted the machine and the keyboard works just fine. This was with the archlinux default config. Anyways, I did this because I wanted proof and to show you and everyone who's viewing this that vanilla kernel sources even when compiling it with a 12.1 GCC, the keyboard works just fine.

No I didn't copy any of the arch kernel sources to gentoo at all. Instead I did what you suggested before (swapping to a stable GCC and a stable kernel ) to which I did. And the keyboard wouldn't even work despite compiling 5.15.59 and 5.19.1 with GCC 11.3. Basically swapping to GCC 11.3 and building my kernel with it for gentoo, does not work. Those are one of your solutions you recommended correct?
The only option I would have would be building arch linux kernel and moving it over to gentoo. But even so, should I? Would it even work?
If so, how would i compile arch linux kernel under gentoo?
I was thinking all I need is to grab the default config, download 5.19.2 from kernel.org and compile it. Everything should be in there and there shouldn't be any need for copying things over right?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only option I would have would be building arch linux kernel and moving it over to gentoo. But even so, should I? Would it even work?

Yes, of course. I use the vanilla kernel (from www.kernel.org) as well. There's even a package you could use: sys-kernel/gentoo-sources.

You can either copy the binary kernel (and all modules) or you can copy the sources and the Arch .config and compile it under Gentoo. Both should work. The latter is probably better.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the commands I ran when compiling and installing arch linux kernel under gentoo:
Code:

wget https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/linux-5.19.2.tar.xz
tar -xvf linux-5.19.2.tar.xz
cd linux-5.19.2
wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/packages/linux/trunk/config
make menuconfig
make -j3
make modules;
make modules_install  INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt/gentoo
cp -Pr linux-5.19.2 /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/
cp -v /mnt/gentoo/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.2-arch-x86_64
ln -sf /usr/src/linux-5.19.2-arch /usr/src/linux
eselect kernel set #
# <-- The number that linux-5.19.2-arch is
dracut --kver=5.19.2
mv /boot/initramfs-5.19.2.img /boot//initramfs-5.19.2-arch-x86_64.img

@mike155 is this good so far?
Oh and the /proc/cmdline. The only difference is the arguments corresponding with crypt:
http://dpaste.com/39CS5GRUW

There's no special parameters and if you really want me to boot with the exact parameters then I need to create a initramfs without using dracut or genkernel
as dracut requires special arguments to boot a crypt device. For example:
https://dpaste.com/7N3983M94

Last edited by kucklehead on Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I compiled it and got it to boot. The keyboard still won't work after copying the vanilla version 5.19.2, and compiling it with my arch workstation with Arch linux default config:
http://ix.io/484Z

I'm thinking it's a bug at this point
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you compile and install the kernel and its modules under Gentoo Linux? Exactly the same way as under Arch? Or did you use different commands?

Do you use an initramfs? Do you want and/or need an initramfs?

If you do NOT want an initramfs, the recommended way to compile and install a kernel and its modules is:
Code:
make
make modules
make install
ls -la /boot          # make sure you kernel is there and that your grub.cfg has an entry for it
make modules_install
ls -la /lib/modules   # make sure there's is a directory for your kernel

It could make sense to remove /lib/modules/<your kernel version> before you run the commands above.

Another approach would be to disable modules and to build all drivers directly into the kernel image. That's what I usually do. If you do that, it's necessary to disable all drivers and kernel options you don't need or use - otherwise your kernel image will get too big.
kucklehead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mike155 Yes, I want a initramfs to boot from. I compiled it exactly how I compile the arch linux kernels following this guide here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel/Traditional_compilation
The only difference when making the kernel and the initramfs is that I use mkinitcpio -p <vanilla-kernel-sources> and for gentoo, I use dracut --kver=kernel-version-bin
I ran these commands which are stated in another reply:
Code:

make menuconfig
make -j3
make modules;
make modules_install  INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/mnt/gentoo
cp -Pr linux-5.19.2 /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/
cp -v /mnt/gentoo/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.2-arch-x86_64

While on my archlinux workstation
I switched to my terminal that had gentoo chrooted in and followed this guide here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
And linked it. At this point, It's either file a bug ( which I have not done before ) or stick with arch linux for this chromebook and move my gentoo installation to match this laptop: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Portable-Micro-Edge-Anti-Glare-14-fq1025nr/dp/B09G8SK2KK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=35EG19HFOTMUF&keywords=asus%2Blaptop%2Bcore%2Bi5%2Bmicro+sd+port&qid=1661075282&refinements=p_36%3A-40000&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sprefix=asus%2Blaptop%2Bcore%2Bi5%2Bmicro+sd+por%2Celectronics%2C162&sr=1-6

How it's going right now it ( as I don't think there's any other recommendations or suggestions ), seems like just sticking with arch linux for it seems easier to do and modifying the gentoo installation I have right now to be compatible with this new laptop. Or perhaps there is another solution I haven't tried which you do state; build everything inside the kernel and not as a module. seems like a pain to do for something that can't even run gentoo by itself. But I'll give it a shot sometime later \o/
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kucklehead,

this patch mentions a "ThinkPad C13 Yoga", but also other Chromebooks. If your problem is not solved in the mean time, please try 5.15.65 because of: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=linux-5.15.y&id=d74ce3ece4028a85aacf0d26a5ce13c872fcb949
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: