View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: [Solved] Two login screens with gdm 42 Reply with quote

I have a strange issue with gdm on my Lenovo laptop with hybrid graphics. Up to and including gdm 41, the login was normal. Now with gdm 42 the login screen is displayed and I login. After a pause, a second login screen is displayed. I enter my password a second time and I get to the desktop. I use wayland, but I tried x11 and the same thing happened.

Now here are the odd things. I have a sound that plays when the desktop starts. When I login the first time and the second login screen is displayed, I can hear the sound play before I enter my password the second time. I assume the first login is successful and the desktop is starting based on the sound playing.

The second thing I have observed is that the first login screen has the gear in the lower right corner. The second login screen does not have the gear.

Finally, if I disable gdm.service, reboot to the console, login as root, manually start gdm.service to get the login screen then I do not get the second login screen.

I did experience this issue early on with gdm 42, but re-installed gdm 41 which corrected the issue. However, I was not being careful during updates and gdm 42 got installed again. I am stuck now, gdm 41 isn't available so I am trying to fix the problem without having much luck.

Mike

Solved!!!!
I tried everything including removal of gdm, but nothing fix the gdm 42 problem. I saw gdm 43 in the repo and installed it. No more problem! So, I don't know the issue, but it is fixed.

Last edited by MikeyG on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

gdm's asking twice for username and pw ?

no logfiles?

have you tried changing some options of gdm, e.g enabling or disabling user-list?

please try with another user or (make a backup before) delete the users gdm configs in users home folder and try again.

you're not the only one https://askubuntu.com/questions/1421637/gdm-requires-login-twice

greetings

EDIT:

what happens if you change to autologin with gdm?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: