Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkyral
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
If sddm starts up fast, then any entropy related issue is off the table. This delay sounds more like a timeout (like dbus).

Hi,
Do you have any hint about this? I have this issue for some time. Got new laptop with SSD. Start of SDDM is really fast, but then took more than one minute to start the plasma desktop itself. And what is worst, kmix is started, but its icon is missing in system tray. Also the same for Psi+ jabber client. It is started, but icon in system tray is missing. To fix it I can re-login or restart both applications.

How to find out what is wrong there? I don't use systemd and pulseaudio. Just openRC and Alsa. And only Wifi.
ph0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a similar (maybe related?) problem - startkde takes a very long time after the SDDM login and then I only have a blank desktop with the default wallpaper. The panel and my other settings are gone. I have to switch back and forth between my external monitor and the integrated laptop display several times, then the panel and the settings reappear after a while. Xorg and SDDM logs do not show any errors. Which other logs should I check? Any ideas?

Thanks.

edit: I have merged haveged and added it to default as suggested in this thread.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkyral wrote:
asturm wrote:
If sddm starts up fast, then any entropy related issue is off the table. This delay sounds more like a timeout (like dbus).

Hi,
Do you have any hint about this?

Install haveged and add service to default runlevel
ph0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ph0 wrote:
then I only have a blank desktop with the default wallpaper. The panel and my other settings are gone. I have to switch back and forth between my external monitor and the integrated laptop display several times, then the panel and the settings reappear after a while. Xorg and SDDM logs do not show any errors. Which other logs should I check? Any ideas?

Seems it is due to this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356727
mkyral
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
mkyral wrote:
asturm wrote:

Hi,
Do you have any hint about this?

Install haveged and add service to default runlevel

Did not help. As explained in sentence.
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having very similar symptoms as described here. would love to know what logs can be looked into for this. i'm using wayland/plasma. i have my system on nvme, and my /home on hdd. i tried disabling file scanning on kde, but no avail.

first login after a boot takes almost 3 minutes from enter to usable kde desktop.

i also switch my screens frequently during the day. my monitors are switched via a/b hdmi switch (between my linux desktop and a windows laptop via "kvm"). my kde background settings get lost (wallpaper) and often my screens get flipped (left -> right).

i'd really like to learn how to troubleshoot and fix the slow login issue. 3 minutes is abhorrent.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: