Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dropped Legacy Drivers In Mesa 22.x - Alternative Options?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Dropped Legacy Drivers In Mesa 22.x - Alternative Options? Reply with quote

I've been reading the discussion threads regarding the changes in Mesa 22.x where a number of old legacy drivers have been dropped from the Mesa code base - in my case I still have a couple of old IBM T41 & T42 laptops that use
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon r200"

in make.conf.

I understand that there are several solutions that can apply here, notably:

1. Make a local ebuild of Mesa 21.x or earlier and continue to use that as long as possible.
2. Install mesa-amber which still provides the old r200 drivers (and several others).
3. Forget about any form of Mesa 3D acceleration completely and use a more "basic" kernel driver for graphics.

In my particular case, I don't care that much about 3D graphics on such old machines but do still want to use them as light desktops with XFCE - so I don't care about option 1.

I have unmasked and installed mesa-amber 21.3.9 but I get the following error with glxgears or glxinfo:
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi: /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
direct rendering: Yes

I also have mesa-22.0.5 installed, as well as mesa-amber. Is that correct or should I completely install mesa-22.0.5? I can't find anything in documentation that says that mesa-amber is either a mesa replacement or just an addon?

If I go the third option and forget about 3D graphics completely, what's the best alternative driver to use in the kernel? Should I just use the Intel one or a framebuffer one? My Thinkpad T41 has a 1400x1050 display which is currently picked up fine by what's installed - but will a framebuffer driver pick that up?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what I want to do with my R200 machines yet, but wonder if you noticed that the R200 has been problematic for a long while (glxgears glitching is easiest to reproduce example)? Having both happen I don't know what the best outcome is...
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to gauge the r200 performance of glxgears because it's normally locked to the monitor refresh rate anyway.

There's a simple shoot-em-up game called chromium-bsu that has a few simple textures in it and I did notice a couple of years ago that r100 and r200 started showing a problem with blocky textures around some of the on screen ships that I was never able to solve, including turning off compositing. I'd probably have to put that down to mesa.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind the frame rate in glxgears, the gears aren't even drawn properly on multiple r200 cards I have (9250, 8500, 9000M) ...
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredbear5150 wrote:
It's difficult to gauge the r200 performance of glxgears because it's normally locked to the monitor refresh rate anyway..
vsync can be disabled, but then it's typically bottlenecked by the cpu instead anyway (you'll see a single thread use 100% cpu making it not very gpu-bound).

Without a compositor, and no vsync, I get ~50000 fps on glxgears on my nvidia 1070 and a i7-8700, if I disable intel turbo boost (notably nice to get a boost on single thread performance), it drops to ~40000fps :| Going to be worse depending on the cpu, especially laptops.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: