Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Recover from botched /boot/grub/menu.lst?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Recover from botched /boot/grub/menu.lst? Reply with quote

Greetings, all! Well, after spending several days, I *almost* have gentoo installed _BUT_ I screwed up the settings in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and I can't figure out how to get back in to it. I added an entry in the 'kernel /boot/bzImage...." line to indicate my cd-rw was /dev/hdd [(hd3,0) to grub] , and now it tries to boot to the cd-rw, obviously without success. I get a "BOOT FAILURE" message. I don't think I should have put that line there! Is there any way I can use the livecd to get back into my hard-disk and edit the file? I suspect I'll have to mount the drive somewhere, but, uh, I'm kinda lost.
TIA, jim
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it was written before the LiveCD era, https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#4 might be of service.
drjim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: OOOPS! Reply with quote

Yes, I found that about ten minutes after I posted, and followed the procedure. I was able to mount the hard-drive, and edit out the reference to "hdd=ide-scsi", but I still get the same error message:
"Not found any [active partition] in HDD
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
This almost looks like a bios error message. I wonder if there's something whacko with this mobo, or did I really just screw up installing grub?
Hmmm...thanks for the guidance, and I'll bang my head on the keyboard some more!
jim
vern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to use the grub command line to boot even though your menu.lst is boogered.

If I remember right, just use the same commands that you 'should' have used in your menu.lst file and it should take off. I had to do this one time when I messed up but didn't have a 'safe' backup boot config.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should reinstall grub in the boot of his disk. It is what his error message suggests to me (there is no boot loader installed)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OOOPS! Reply with quote

drjim wrote:
I still get the same error message:
"Not found any [active partition] in HDD
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
Looks like no partition is set to be bootable. Use the CD to get in, then use fdisk to set an active partition.
drjim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Set Partition Active??? Reply with quote

Ummmm....I followed the directions in the Install Guide *exactly* when I partitioned the drive. Shouldn't this set the partitions active? If not, why aren't the 'extra' or 'missing' commands in the Install Guide?
I've reinstalled grub.
I checked my fstab.
Still get the same error about no active partition.
And yes, I've read all the fm's.
jim
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your exact menu.lst and what commands you are typing when you go in to grub to set up the drive for booting? Sounds like a simple configuration error to me. Some setting just needs to be changed to get the box booting from the right place.

RagManX
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Set Partition Active??? Reply with quote

Run fdisk on the drive you have your boot partition on. 'fdisk /dev/hda' for example. Then enter 'p'. Is an '*' next to the boot partition?
drjim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Starting Over Reply with quote

Now that I have several pages of notes from all the nice people here, I've decide to just start over. My partitions were not set to be active, and I was finally able to get to the grub start up screen, but it just rebooted. I tried running 'fsck' on my UNMOUNTED partitions, and it hosed /dev/hda3....don't know how that happened. I'm also pretty sure I made some mistakes in my 'make menuconfig' for the kernel, so I've printed out several pages on that, too.
At this point I figured it would just be easier for me to start over using the K6-2 Stage3 tarball. I'm back up to Step 14 in the Install Guide, so I'll see how it goes from here, this time being MUCH more careful in my kernel selections.
Thanks for all the help....
jim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: