net.wlan0 starts with wpa_supplicant but I'm using iwd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FordArthur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: net.wlan0 starts with wpa_supplicant but I'm using iwd Reply with quote

I'm new to Linux and after booting Gentoo for the first time, I don't have access to the internet, so I tried installing wpa_supplicant as the manual says however, I still had trouble connecting to the internet, then I installed iwd since i remembered that it worked quite well with my arch install and after setting it up and trying to start wlan0, I get an error message saying that it couldn't start wlan0 with wpa_supplicant. Also, iwd isn't able to recognise wlan0 but ifconfig is.

Any help is hugely appreciated, thanks.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netifrc (which is what net.* links to) is not aware of net-wireless/iwd.

If you want iwd and just need simple DHCP, then start dhcpcd instead of net.wlan0
FordArthur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I removed the symlink, dhcpcd starts at boot, removed wlan0 from defaults and when I do openrc I don't get any errors, but I still don't have an Internet connection. What do I need to do?

Edit: So, I just unplugged and plugged the wifi antenna and ifconfig recognizes it (since I have 2 antennas and the one that is always being recognized needs some kind of drivers that I don't think are in Linux) I finally have an internet connection working. But, is there any way that I don't have to unplug and plug the antenna each time i turn on the PC?

Btw, thanks for the solution with netifrc!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: