Kernel panics during emerge / merging phase
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Kernel panics during emerge / merging phase Reply with quote

I have recently decided to upgrade my kernel from 4.14.x series (gentoo-sources) to newest longterm, 5.15.x. Now running 5.15.52.

I've noticed that occasionally I get a kernel panic when running emerge, specifically at the point when a package is being merged - files being copied to the filesystem from temp directory. Specifically the problem seems to occur when the checksums are being calculated. All filesystems are ext4fs, and the dmesg seems to be indicating a fault with ext4 modules. The result is that caps lock starts blinking. After I reboot, if I do emerge --resume there are bunch of warnings that there are orphaned files (not belonging to any package) with same names in the system, but emerge will overwrite them anyway. So no harm done as such. If the package was huge (like qt-webkit), I can also just continue with "ebuild <.ebuild> merge".

If I downgrade back to 4.14.269 the problems disappear.

How would one go about resolving this issue? I cannot even get the panic log fully displayed - it doesn't show up at all if I'm running a GUI, and in console part of the log always scrolls away. It's just a bunch of tracebacks and apparently something to do with ext4.

The reason I wanted to upgrade from 4.14 was that it's support is ending "soon" (well, 2024). Not a pressing issue as such but kind of interesting anyway.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any specific error messages or traces it's a bit hard to determine what's going on.

Errors on merge usually suggest filesystem problems or changes that were made over the time. Two things here I'd try:

1) run it on console

2) try a 'slightly newer' kernel than your 4.14 - like 4.19.XX and see how it behaves.

3) try to reproduce it with vanilla-sources
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
Without any specific error messages or traces it's a bit hard to determine what's going on.
2) try a 'slightly newer' kernel than your 4.14 - like 4.19.XX and see how it behaves.

Thanks. I think I'll try this approach first.
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep me posted!
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel panics during emerge / merging phase Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
and the dmesg seems to be indicating a fault with ext4 modules

At my desktop I run a modular kernel too. But especially the filesystem of / is compiled in here and not run as a module. I'd advice that.
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing now with 5.4. Actually, now I remembered why I wanted to upgrade - I had started getting warnings about kernel being too old and upgrading to 4.16 or newer recommended. PC has Intel graphics card.

Just for kicks, I also ran memtest with extended testing, no problems with memory. Let's see how this works with next larger emerge @world..
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Testing now with 5.4. Actually, now I remembered why I wanted to upgrade - I had started getting warnings about kernel being too old and upgrading to 4.16 or newer recommended.

Even for SSDs you want to upgrade because of proper trim functionality. I had that issue on Debian 10 and had to build my own debian kernels (and still do)
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like issue is not occurring with 5.4.

Oh well, I'll stick with that release train for now then, hopefully no need to upgrade any time soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: