Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Suggestion about dealing with pirating posts...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilricky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Suggestion about dealing with pirating posts... Reply with quote

I suggest that anyone breaking this rule have their forum account removed. I dont believe its fair that one person can have a thread locked up by talking about a crack or pirating games. Case in point was the thread about getting Warcraft 3 working. None of the posters were talking about cracks or pirating any software, until 1 loser decided to bring up piracy. Although it was just the one person, Kurt exclaimed "What is it about "do not discuss cracking software on these forums" that you guys don't understand????" First off the people on this thread save the last one(which I agree should have his post deleted), was not talking about cracking software. This is not right and can interfere with getting things working with Gentoo...
Just my 2 cents...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from Gamers & Players to Gentoo Forums Feedback. Though a Game thread is mentioned, this would really be a forum-wide suggestion.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion about dealing with pirating posts... Reply with quote

lilricky wrote:
I dont believe its fair that one person can have a thread locked up by talking about a crack or pirating games. Case in point was the thread about getting Warcraft 3 working. None of the posters were talking about cracks or pirating any software, until 1 loser decided to bring up piracy.

You certainly have a point. I will say that life, in general, isn't fair and I don't promise that these forums will always be, either. That said, read the rest of this message before you respond.

lilricky wrote:
Although it was just the one person, Kurt exclaimed "What is it about "do not discuss cracking software on these forums" that you guys don't understand????"

Side note: "you guys" was aimed at the multiple people that insist on discussing cracked software, not necessarily the posters in that particular thread. I agree that I could have chosen a better way to word my message.

lilricky wrote:
I suggest that anyone breaking this rule have their forum account removed.

I think this is a bit draconian as well. As much as we'd like everyone to read the forum guidelines, there will be those who are simply too lazy to do so. Rather than overreact in the opposite direction and start deleting accounts with abandon, here's what we'll do from now on:

• The first crack/warez post in any thread will get deleted and a warning will be posted.
  • Any further discussions of crackz/warez in that thread will get it locked.
  • Similarly, if the thread turns into a debate about the goodness vs. badness of crackz, or continues to have anything to do with crackz/warez, the thread will also be locked.
In other words, one warning shot fired across the bow and after that, it gets sunk.

--kurt
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion about dealing with pirating posts... Reply with quote

lilricky wrote:
I suggest that anyone breaking this rule have their forum account removed. I dont believe its fair that one person can have a thread locked up by talking about a crack or pirating games. Case in point was the thread about getting Warcraft 3 working. None of the posters were talking about cracks or pirating any software, until 1 loser decided to bring up piracy. Although it was just the one person, Kurt exclaimed "What is it about "do not discuss cracking software on these forums" that you guys don't understand????" First off the people on this thread save the last one(which I agree should have his post deleted), was not talking about cracking software. This is not right and can interfere with getting things working with Gentoo...
Just my 2 cents...

I believe the "loser" your referring to in that thread was me. Whatever. I'll just say I was in no way discussing piracy, or edorsing it in anyway. I simply was correcting someones statement that war3 does not work with the cvs build. I was simply trying to help out a guy who didn't have access to the commercial version of winex, in doing so I mentioned "THINGS NOT TO BE DISCUSSED" and got the thread closed. Nothing I mentioned involved piracy, or anything even remotely illegal, but rules are rules and I apologize for getting the thread closed.

Quote:
This is not right and can interfere with getting things working with Gentoo...
Just my 2 cents...

In this case however, it was actually not being able discuss said software which interfered with getting the game working.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just a quick note: what you were discussing was illegal: if you look at the licenses for games and other software these days, you'll see that it's illegal to modify the software in anyway. There's no fair use; you can only use the software according to the terms given by the license.

(edited for grammar)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nudges the crowd back on topic*
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh yeah on topic...just delete the offending post, was a bit overkill to close an entire thread due to my two sentence reply.
Tuxisuau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's about cracking windows games for being able to play then with winex, even if you have the original games. (as they don't work in Linux normally). I know it is a bad place, and if the game doesn't work with linux or winex cause of crappy copyprotections you should deal with the vendor, not us, but think twice before deleting any account.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: