View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: KDE- small mouse movement tiles? all open programs [SOLVED?] Reply with quote

Running latest KDE plasma and after upgrade, when I'm reading something on a website occasionally a small movement of the mouse (desktop) suddenly makes what I'm reading lose focus and all open programs show on the screen as icons or small versions of themselves.. (I don't know what this is called) whereby I have to search for the program I was just using and click it to bring it back active. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Very annoying and I haven't discovered what mouse movement triggers it or how to disable it. This is probably going to be a !DOH! moment but stumped for now. /jd

Last edited by hunky on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean everything is minimized to the taskbar.

in xfce there is a button to do precisely that--named ""Show Desktop".
In your case maybe a kde bug?
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
You mean everything is minimized to the taskbar.

in xfce there is a button to do precisely that--named ""Show Desktop".
In your case maybe a kde bug?

Thanks for the reply, but not minimized to taskbar. I'll grab a pic next time it happens. I'll have to use a camera since no way otherwise.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(NB: not a plasma user) I think maybe you hit a bug in the 'hot corners' shortcuts. Is System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> Present Windows enabled? I was going to ask if you just tried hitting Esc but it looks like the default shortcut is Ctrl+F10 to jump in and out of it.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtx wrote:
(NB: not a plasma user) I think maybe you hit a bug in the 'hot corners' shortcuts. Is System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> Present Windows enabled? I was going to ask if you just tried hitting Esc but it looks like the default shortcut is Ctrl+F10 to jump in and out of it.

took a look and yes, it is enabled. I'm going to leave it enabled so I can grab a shot next time it happens, then disable it to see if that takes care of it. I can't reproduce it intentionally.. there are no hot corners when I try that.

[edit]: Actually, Ctrl+F10 does do what I'm talking about. So maybe that will solve my problem if I disable the "Present Windows".. though I could get used to using that if the random effect can be solved. Maybe it is a bug..
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, cool. I suggested hot corners because that was the first thing that came to mind connecting a mouse motion to an action. In some DE/WM long ago (I forget what, maybe Compiz), that was the default/suggested way to activate what you described: mouse to a corner. But I forgot about the usual mouse gestures. Though I can't say an upgrade would come with new defaults for those, or what other kind of shortcut it could be, at least you know what the action is called.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dbtx for replies. I'm going to mark this sort of solved since I've discovered the issue based on your Present Windows clue. I disabled that and the problem went away. Last night I upgraded to Plasma-5.25.1 thinking it may have fixed any bugs (my latte-dock would also stick open instead of hiding - I would have to log out to fix that each time and don't know if that is fixed or not yet since it really isn't part of plasma) and the upgrade may have.. I re-enabled Present Windows and didn't have a problem until today it happened again. But this time I had inadvertently moved the mouse to the upper left corner of the display and now I can reproduce that - so seems it has become a Hot Corner for that action. I'll leave the Present Windows enabled and see if any other mouse movement triggers it.. nice to know if so that I can just disable it and it will go away.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: