Quick Search: in
no sound -- no codecs initialized
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Could this be the issue? Reply with quote

Elongate wrote:
Been discussing it here [1] https://forum.level1techs.com/t/no-z690-chipset-linux-drivers-really/

Just realized that lspci identifies what I suspect is the HD audio device as 7AC0, but Intel lists the HD audio device as 7AD0 here

[2] https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/ipla/software-development-platforms/client/platforms/alder-lake-desktop/intel-600-series-chipset-family-platform-controller-hub-pch-datasheet-volume/004/device-and-revision-id/

My theory is that because the ID's don't match, the snd_hda_intel audo driver isn't getting bound to the device.

Could this just be a typo in either the the Intel documentation or the Intel series 600 platform driver?

What do you mean ? In both documents [1] + [2] you will see that 7AC0 is a PCIe Port and ONLY 7AD0 is sound.
Elongate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Could this be the issue? Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
What do you mean ? In both documents [1] + [2] you will see that 7AC0 is a PCIe Port and ONLY 7AD0 is sound.

Ok, I admit I'm probably wrong. I'm just another user struggling to get the motherboard sound hardware working under linux, nothing more.

At this point since there are no other obvious options I'm going to just wait until kernel 5.18 comes out (hopefully sunday) and hope it resolves the issue.

Not to add to the confusion, I now see that the Realtek ALC4080 Codec hardware on my MSI Z690 TORPEDO DDR4 motherboard is supposedly connected to the system via USB:
https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-old-alc4080-on-the-new-intel-boards-demystified-and-the-differences-from-alc1220-insider/
which would explain why it's not being listed as a PCIe device.

Unless someone has suggestions...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elongate,

Here's a few requests for information.

Put the following onto a pastebin site.
1. the output of dmesg
2. your kernel .config fire.

and post the links

Post the output of
Code:
lspci -nnk

Post the content of
Code:
/proc/asound/devices

What does
Code:
grep -R -i codec /proc/asound
return?

If your analogue audio does not appear in lspci, its probably disabled in the BIOS.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Elongate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for offering to help, @NeddySeagoon

As the new kernel is coming out today I'm going to hold off on taking your time. If/when the issue persists I'll bleat for help. Either way I'll report back on whether the new kernel resolves the issue.
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treating the Asus Z690 based mother board (ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi) as a USB audo device seems to work well for most things. Alsasmixer has a "sound card" entry: Default 2 USB Audio that gives good quality analog output. Unfortunately, I still can't get the optical output (SPDIF) working. I plan to start a new post about that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: