[SOLVED] RS780 card disabled, no audio
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] RS780 card disabled, no audio Reply with quote

Hi all. I recently upgraded (by reinstalling) my several years old workstation. Most stuff works, but my audio seems to be a casualty.

I'm running an ATI controller, lspci says
Code:
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780 HDMI Audio [Radeon 3000/3100 / HD 3200/3300]

genkernel'ed kernel with all options defaulted
Code:
Linux hellboy 5.15.32-gentoo-r1-x86_64 #1 SMP Sun May 15 18:48:33 -00 2022 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

If I go into kde system settings, under audio, it lists my RS780 under "Inactive cards", and there doesn't seem to be any way to activate it. There are no other audio cards in the system.

When I try alsa-utils "speaker-test" I get a bunch of white noise out of the speakers, they're doing something, but I bet it's not supposed to play static.

Oh, and of course this stuff all worked fine before my upgrade, I have no reason to suspect a hardware problem.

What else should I be looking at? Thanks in advance . . .

[see last post for extra, confusing, information]

Last edited by therealjrd on Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Apparently speaker-test IS supposed to generate white (well, pink) noise. So this confirms that the low level hardware/driver is working.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealjrd wrote:
Update: Apparently speaker-test IS supposed to generate white (well, pink) noise. So this confirms that the low level hardware/driver is working.

Try appending '-t wav' like this 'speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D ...'

Please check if enabling CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC and CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_HDCP works to enable ELD sensing (which should make sound server understand there is an audio output.)
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC and CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_HDCP are set to "y"
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious how old was the system that you upgraded?

There was a change around kernels 4.15.x or something which effectively caused ELD to be not valid or missing for radeon driver. This confuses software looking for audio device presence. Unfortunately I do not have a link to exact change handy and it took quite some time to find it back when I used RS880 onboard video + hdmi audio.

If you are using recent pulseaudio, "forcing" device to be available should work: run pavucontrol, navigate to Configuration tab, select HDMI output which works and then "lock" the card to that profile.

I will try to find that older kernel change but no promises here.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Garrison

The system was pretty old, something like 2 years since I'd emerged it up to date. That's why I just did a fork lift upgrade. Its kernel was 4.19.72.

I'll try the pulseaudio thing when I get done with my workday. Thanks for the pointer.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealjrd wrote:
I'll try the pulseaudio thing when I get done with my workday. Thanks for the pointer.
You do not have to pick pulseaudio but if you are on openrc you might be interested in reading elog messages which might have introduced a change breaking your audio.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . I fixed my problem. Sort of.

I was horsing around with the pulseadio settings, and noticed a device I'd forgotten about. Last year I played around with video capture on this machine. I plugged in a UCEC USB video device.

I unplugged it, rebooted, and my audio started working!

So I have a solution. But I'd like to be able use both.

Also, my KDE control panel still thinks my RS780 card is disabled. It seems to think it's playing through the headphones, even though the sound is coming out the speakers. Unsure whether that's got anything to do with anything.

Before I mark this resolved, does anybody have ideas about what this video device was doing to me?

TIA
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealjrd wrote:

Before I mark this resolved, does anybody have ideas about what this video device was doing to me?

Regarding pulseaudio and outputs:
- if you are on openrc check if you followed the elog from pipewire which is likely installed too - if both pulseaudio and pipewire are running you will need to pick one audio server (i.e. either pulseaudio daemon or pipewire audio) and disable the other
- if you are on systemd worth checking that elog too but usually there is no issue
- in both cases confirm the daemon you want is in use with pactl info - look for Server Name

If that is sorted, check your Default Sink in pactl info - it should be the one you want to use, could be that with your cam plugged default sink was not assigned as you expect.

Regarding RS780 and HDMI unavailable in pulseaudio:
- check if your dmesg has HDMI ATI/AMD: no speaker allocation for ELD and if so that is the issue I'm trying to look up on the net. Will try to search for the kernel change causing that for a little while more. There was no fix yet as of last year, but you can probably try filing an issue with kernel bugzilla and maybe discuss this on dri-devel mailing list I think. Whether that change to kernel can be simply reverted, or speaker presence can be otherwise forced I still do not recall.
- if you manually switch card profile in pulseaudio to specific HDMI output which works and lock it (like noted in earlier reply) that will make hdmi sink usable even though pulseaudio automation believes output is not available.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You're completely right, I have both pulseaudio and pipewire running. I wasn't even aware of pipewire until now :)

Doing a bit of wiki reading, it does look like I've got to reconcile my USE flags and do some rebuilding. I currently have -gstreamer, but I probably want it, and want to move over to pipewire from pulseaudio. That'll be a project for the weekend.

Re the RS780, you're also right: dmesg contains
Code:

[    5.262740] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC1D0: HDMI ATI/AMD: no speaker allocation for ELD

I'll take a look at dri-devel.

Thank you so much for your expertise! This forum is great.

Marking resolved.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On openrc you need to double-check you completed this section https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/master/media-video/pipewire/pipewire-0.3.49-r1.ebuild#L309-L323 otherwise you get both daemons running with audio enabled in pipewire and usually that breaks audio.
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. On my list for the weekend cleanup. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: