View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lockie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: XScreensaver 6.0 inconvenience Reply with quote

Hello. After xscreensaver 6.0 came to portage, it was quite irritating to use it for a couple of usability reasons:
1. In previous 5.xx version, the very first key you typed was considered the first letter of a password, so you could've just come up to your computer, type the password and start doing your stuff. Not in 6.0, no sir. In 6.0 the first keystroke just makes the ridiculously large password window to pop up, so first you have to press any key or move the mouse, and only afterwards you can start typing your password.
2. If you typed the password wrong, hitting and holding backspace key does... nothing. The last character gets removed, and then autorepeat is not working as it should in X11 apps.

Those two factors combined brutally break finger automatism developed by more than a decade of using XScreensaver. I've tried masking 6.0 version, but then 5.xx was removed from portage and it blocked glibc libcrypt update, so I had to install 6.0 version. Does anyone suffer from these problems? Is there some workaround, perhaps the patch of sorts, that at least makes XScreensaver consider all typed keys to be password? Perhaps one can ask to return the old but gold 5.x version to portage?
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was mostly composed months ago for the 'software you avoid' thread... I had the same complaint as your #1 after trying 6.00 before it was in the tree, and then already masking it, before 5.45 went away. I had already wholesale-copied x11-misc/xscreensaver into /usr/local/portage for testing 6.00. But I did that by renaming the 5.45 ebuild and there were newer revisions anyway, so I needed to run some things like
Code:
# cd /usr/local/portage
# curl https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/patch/x11-misc/xscreensaver?id=39272b109329f6eb7dc4b1bd217cfcccdcda8b96 > xscreensaver-545.diff
# patch -R -p1 < xscreensaver-545.diff
# (misc things, ebuild digest)

Of course this approach doesn't have a bright future; now I'm "maintaining" it here and only for me.

The program that runs the authentication dialog in 6.00 isn't the same program that received a keystroke and started the wakeup-- so the first character of the password would get dropped. But the breaking point for me is that so much has been rewritten, I couldn't see an easy and obvious way to port my local patch. It turns the monitor off again instantly, after the password dialog closes without unlocking, to save power and to more completely and correctly apply the "Quick Power-off in Blank Only Mode" option. I suppose I should have sent it to jwz and maybe then 6.00 would have already done that right thing, but it's only one thing.

Actually it would make more sense for me to rip out all the extra fancy stuff and just have a screen-locker/ DPMS-toggler, since that's all I need xscreensaver to do for me, as if I ever wanted to maintain anything related to security... I don't :(

edit++:
Quote:
and it blocked glibc libcrypt update
I actually had no idea about this. Perhaps now I must become more skilled or more uncomfortable or both. yay

Last edited by dbtx on Sun May 15, 2022 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days after the update to xscreensaver, I ripped it out (depclean) and installed slock for the rare cases when I feel the need to lock the screen. With modern monitors and power controls, few people really need a screen saver, and for those who need timed screen locking, there are abundant non-fancy alternatives. My use case is home with trusted family around so I really needed xscreensaver like I needed a hole in the head. xscreensaver had become a bad habit.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
lockie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, dbtx and figueroa.
I guess I'm going to have to migrate to some other software (i3lock looks promising). RIP XScreensaver.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
My use case is home with trusted family around so I really needed xscreensaver like I needed a hole in the head.

Same here. If something is running I don't bother locking. My wife knows not to touch anything. Kids are grown and gone. My wife did like seeing the swimming dolphins as she walked by, but machts nichts. If we leave the house I log out. (portage updates mostly overnight - start it before going to bed to be sure everything looks good, usually via ssh. I never uninstalled it but it stopped working somewhere down the line. Decoration - nothing more.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
A few days after the update to xscreensaver, I ripped it out (depclean) and installed slock

Thanks for reminding me. I already installed it several months ago but it didn't do everything already and I didn't feel like modifying it at the time. Now I see it doesn't support DPMS at all so I probably only need to have it run 'xset dpms force off' again sometime after a failed attempt. I must have forgotten how much easier it should be to hack on vs. xscreensaver.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread to let other users know about xfce4-screensaver. It's a low dependency port of the mate screensaver and appears to work well under OpenBox, so probably also most other WMs and DEs. I'm starting it with a line in ~/.config/openbox/autostart as shown below:
Code:
$ grep xfce4-screensaver .config/openbox/autostart
xfce4-screensaver &

Read about it at: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screensaver
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to not mess around inside slock, but I emerged xprintidle and wrote a script. It runs as 'screenlockloop' in ~/.xprofile and as 'screenlock' on Ctrl+Alt+Del. It's kind of flimsy/janky/smelly but for half a year it has been mostly good enough :P
Code:
dbtx@pewter ~ $ ls -l bin/screenlockloop
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dbtx dbtx 10 Nov 12  2021 bin/screenlockloop -> screenlock
dbtx@pewter ~ $ cat bin/screenlock
#!/bin/bash

# idle time in seconds
timeout=1200

lock()
{
   # make display extra sleepy, then lock, then restore
   # aggressive powersave-time for after spurious input or password failure
   xset dpms 0 0 3
   sleep 1
   slock
   xset dpms 0 0 ${timeout}
}

# begin
cmd=$(basename $0)
u=$(whoami)

# override anything set earlier in .xinitrc, .xprofile, etc.
# usual powersave-time is redundant here; we just need a good number
xset dpms 0 0 ${timeout}
# this defaulting to 10 minutes collides with us
xset s off

if [[ ${cmd} == "screenlock" ]]; then
   lock
elif [[ ${cmd} == "screenlockloop" ]]; then
   while true
   do
      sleep 10
      # see if slock is already running
      if [[ -z $(pgrep -U ${u} slock) ]]; then
         # see inactivity
         if [[ $(( $(xprintidle) / 1000)) -gt ${timeout} ]]; then
            # act accordingly
            lock
         fi
      fi
   done
fi

edit++: for example it doesn't cooperate at all with mplayer -stop-xscreensaver or anything else that tries to go through the correct channels, and I didn't spent very much time figuring out how to visit the X API and test from the shell whether anyone thought the screensaver is currently disabled. P.S. it's public domain in case anyone wondered
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used xautolock with slock to provide an effective and automatic scree locking. This was the line in ~/.config/openbox/autostart that I was using:
Code:
xautolock -time 55 -locker slock -corners 00-0 -cornersize 20 &

Currently replaced with xfce4-screensaver, mainly for additional feature of switch user.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a patch you'd like to get applied gentoo-wide please make a github pull request adding it to the ebuild and our git tree. Since xscreensaver is maintainer-needed no one will get the bug mail, but the proxy-maint team will look after pull requests made against maintainer-needed packages.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
If you have a patch you'd like to get applied gentoo-wide please make a github pull request adding it to the ebuild and our git tree. Since xscreensaver is maintainer-needed no one will get the bug mail, but the proxy-maint team will look after pull requests made against maintainer-needed packages.

I'm pretty sure x11-misc/xscreensaver is hopelessly broken. It is being widely abandoned by distributions in favor of various forks.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide a citation for that, and describe which forks other distributions are pursuing? Readers here might find that useful if they don't like any of the alternatives described in this thread.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Could you provide a citation for that, and describe which forks other distributions are pursuing? Readers here might find that useful if they don't like any of the alternatives described in this thread.

There is no single citation I can make reference to. I've been following my nose looking for and finding solutions.

Gnome-Screensaver (may or may not have been forked from XScreensaver -- I have no refernce), now depcreated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Screensaver

Light-Locker: Used in Debian stable, MX-Linux, old Ubuntu and old Linux-Mint stable (not sure about current versions), with the XFCE desktop. Light-Locker is integrated with LightDM, and was forked from gnome-screensaver (and is in the Gentoo unstable tree): https://github.com/the-cavalry/light-locker

Cinnamon-Screensaver (Linux Mint) forked from Gnome-Screensaver. https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-screensaver

XFCE4-Screensaver (Debian Sid and in the Gentoo stable tree) is a fork of Mate-Screensaver, which is a fork of Gnome-Screensaver https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screensaver/about/

Having discovered and am using the XFCE4-Screensaver, I found it to be low and light in dependencies, while providing the important security features I expect from a full-featured screensaver (locking, user switching, stability). It's new and actively developed.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That rundown may benefit silent readers who want to try out alternatives.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see that this was already posted on this forum but it was mentioned recently, 6 years later: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703

Quote:
The author's wishes that users not bother him with bugs about old
versions of the software can surely be addressed without unavoidable
dialogs in *bold* or ALL CAPS presented _every time a user unlocks her
screensaver_, as well as every time a user tries to configure her
screensaver. I can think of at least two ways off the top of my head¹,
that don't involve discrediting xscreensaver's downstreams or shouting
at users.

TBH, I read less than half of that thread. It reiterates to me that much of our overall strategy for having & doing Software™ is broken. I'm still thinking about what I could and should do about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: