[SOLVED] Issues with my laptop's touchpad and libinput
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryzinga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Issues with my laptop's touchpad and libinput Reply with quote

Hello! I originally posted this issue on r/Gentoo but thought I would post it here as well.

Hello! New Gentoo user here. Everything has been going smoothly so far and I have been enjoying it, however I'm having really weird issues with my laptop's touchpad that I've never had with my previous Linux installs. I have researched the internet far and wide using different phrasing with no avail and this is now my last resort. PLEASE HELP! :)

My touchpad on my Acer Swift SF314-42 currently has issues when it comes to two-finger scrolling and disabling tap-to-click, and it comes down to the fact that my touchpad is recognized as a pointer by libinput, not as a touchpad like it should be. Originally it would not see the touchpad at all until I added i8042.nopnp as a kernel parameter, but after that it just doesn't recognize it correctly.

Let me clarify what I know about the current situation:

Gentoo recognizes the touchpad as a "Logitech PS/2 pointer" as shown in this dmesg line:
Code:
[    1.172544] input: PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input5

I have confirmed that my touchpad is not based on Synaptics and that libinput recognizes the touchpad correctly when using other live media that uses libinput (such as Manjaro Architect).

I don't know what the model of the touchpad is, but running a Manjaro Architect Live USB reports it as an ELAN0504:01

Any option I make under Xorg conf files for touchpad have no effect.

I have used libinput debug-events on both my Gentoo install and the Manjaro ISO to find out what it sees. Gentoo only sees button inputs along with pointer moving. Manjaro sees everything, including gestures and two-finger scrolling.

My school's Linux club has suggested checking my BIOS for PS/2 emulation, however my laptop's BIOS does not have an option for that visible. I could try updating the BIOS to see if that option has become available over time, but I already formatted my entire drive that originally had Windows on it and I would like to avoid borking my install just for that if necessary.

Using xinput in order to force the scrolling mode does not work, it only allows none or button as options (even when running as root.)

I currently use genkernel for kernel compilation, however I have tried using the menuconfig flag to add every possible module under the General Drivers > Mice options.

I have made sure any references of "ELAN" in my config file are set to "y" when building using genkernel as someone has suggested in the Reddit post as shown here, however it has no effect with or without the i8042.nopnp kernel parameter:
Code:
$ grep -i '_elan' /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH_SMBUS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_ELAN_I2C=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_ELAN_I2C_I2C=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_ELAN_I2C_SMBUS=y
CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_ELAN=y
CONFIG_HID_ELAN=y
CONFIG_USB_FTDI_ELAN=y

---

At this point I am not sure where the problem lies. Something tells me it has to do with either drivers or the kernel, since I have no idea if libinput is configurable. My understanding of how inputs work in Linux in general is iffy since I never had to fix issues with it.

Any help would be great at this point. Let me know if you need output of any extra commands or files.

Output of the following commands from my Gentoo install: dmesg lspci lsusb
Output of the following commands from the Manjaro Live USB: dmesg lspci lsusb

Last edited by bryzinga on Mon May 16, 2022 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with my laptop's touchpad and libinput Reply with quote

bryzinga,

Welcome to Gentoo Forums !

bryzinga wrote:
Something tells me it has to do with either drivers or the kernel, [...]

I suppose its a modern notebook with a touchpad connected via I2C. For this you need some kernel modules, I made a (german) guide (use only the description of kernel options beginning with "multitouch"):
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8692426.html#8692426

... and please take back your kernel command line parameters (i8042.nopnp)

(If you are new to kernel comnfiguration you may have a look into this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration)

If this doesnt help we would need your kernel .config
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryzinga,

Welcome to Gentoo.

I don't have an answer yet but I can offer some deductions based on your post.

The touchpad works on <random distro> but not on Gentoo. That reduces the problem space to just Gentoo.
Your BIOS and BIOS setup is in the clear because that is common to both. Gentoo is the only thing that if different.

Grepping in /usr/src/linux/.config for things not set is generally not useful.
When a menu you need in off, its contents don't appear in the .config file at all, so grep can't see them.

See Configuring the kernel for searching menuconfig for hidden options.

Make friends with wgetpaste. Use it to share the kernel .config files from your non working Gentoo and a working <random distro>.
Likewise, use wgetpaste to share the entire dmesg output from both distros.
Lastly, post the output from
Code:
lspci -nnk
both distros.

This will let us compare kernel drivers in use, the way the kernels detect hardware and hopefully, point out something missing from your Gentoo kernel.

-- edit --

Wild guess ...
Code:
  ┌────────────────────── Elantech PS/2 protocol extension ───────────────────────┐
  │ CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH:                                                    │ 
  │                                                                               │ 
  │ Say Y here if you have an Elantech PS/2 touchpad connected                    │ 
  │ to your system.                                                               │ 
  │                                                                               │ 
  │ This driver exposes some configuration registers via sysfs                    │ 
  │ entries. For further information,                                             │ 
  │ see <file:Documentation/input/devices/elantech.rst>.                          │ 
  │ If unsure, say N.                                                             │ 
  │ Symbol: MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH [=n]                                               │ 
  │ Type  : bool                                                                  │ 
  │ Defined at drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig:124                                    │ 
  │   Prompt: Elantech PS/2 protocol extension                                    │ 
  │   Depends on: INPUT [=y] && INPUT_MOUSE [=y] && MOUSE_PS2 [=y]                │ 
  │   Location:                                                                   │ 
  │     Main menu                                                                 │ 
  │       -> Device Drivers                                                       │ 
  │         -> Input device support                                               │ 
  │           -> Generic input layer (needed for keyboard, mouse, ...) (INPUT [=y │ 
  │             -> Mice (INPUT_MOUSE [=y])                                        │ 
  │               -> PS/2 mouse (MOUSE_PS2 [=y])                                  │ 

You may also need its option for SMB too
Code:
  │ │    [ ]   Elantech PS/2 protocol extension                                 │ │ 
  │ │    - -     Elantech PS/2 SMbus companion

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
bryzinga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you all for the suggestions and welcomes.

Quote:
I suppose its a modern notebook with a touchpad connected via I2C. For this you need some kernel modules, I made a (german) guide (use only the description of kernel options beginning with "multitouch"):
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8692426.html#8692426

... and please take back your kernel command line parameters (i8042.nopnp)

This ended up being the issue. I did more digging in the fourms and found this post that inevitably fixed everything after adding that to my kernel config.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: