Fixed, not solved - Inappropriate USB autosuspend
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Fixed, not solved - Inappropriate USB autosuspend Reply with quote

Earlier this year I began having problems with my USB auto-suspending quickly, and not waking up. A search later and I added the line
Code:
options usbcore autosuspend=-1

to /etc/modprobe.d/usbcore.conf which fixed it. Today was my first boot of kernel 5.16.12, which I built using the exact same .config as the 5.16.11 which it replaced. The autosuspend problems are back - even with those lines in modprobe.d.

I guess I've got some lines of script I found on the web which might fix it, but those are untested and I'm wondering why this even happened at all.

The fix -
I had re-assembled my system after taking it down for some home improvements. I used a USB-3 hub plugged into a KVM, for beginners. Before the tear-down it was plugged into a regular USB-3 on the back-panel. After the tear-down I saw a jack labeled "USB-3.2" and figured I'd plug into my BEST USB instead. I didn't remember dates exactly, but that's when my troubles started, both with keyboard and a separate problem with USB autosuspend. Re-plugging back into a regular USB-3 and all of my problems went away. I don't know why the USB-3.2 was poison, but it was. That's why I say, "Fixed, not solved".

Last edited by depontius on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know Powertop?

Start the program and press 'Tab' to go to the tab 'Tunables'. This tab will show the power state of your hardware devices.

Use the arrow keys to go down to the USB devices. Press 'Space', which will toggle the power state. Powertop will show the command it uses, for example:
Code:
echo 'on'   > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/control'
echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/control'
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Do you know Powertop?

Start the program and press 'Tab' to go to the tab 'Tunables'. This tab will show the power state of your hardware devices.

Use the arrow keys to go down to the USB devices. Press 'Space', which will toggle the power state. Powertop will show the command it uses, for example:
Code:
echo 'on'   > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/control'
echo 'auto' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/control'

I fired up powertop and all of my USB ports shown are "bad", meaning that they're not autosuspending. But I don't have anything plugged into the USB-3.2 port that was giving me problems, so I don't know what's up there, at the moment.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check in dmesg if Linux considere that the usb hub do not have enough power for each usb connector 'not enough power'. When Linux say so it disable some if not all usb connectors of the hub and than you must reenable them through the sysfs.

This mostly happen if you use a usb 2 connector to provide power to the hub, usb 3 and an independant power for the hub are generally sufficiant.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
Check in dmesg if Linux considere that the usb hub do not have enough power for each usb connector 'not enough power'. When Linux say so it disable some if not all usb connectors of the hub and than you must reenable them through the sysfs.

This mostly happen if you use a usb 2 connector to provide power to the hub, usb 3 and an independant power for the hub are generally sufficiant.

I made sure to get a separately powered USB hub, for just that reason.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember to remove the options usbcore autosuspend=-1 from your boot scripts
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: