wpa_gui: why do I get more instances?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: wpa_gui: why do I get more instances? Reply with quote

I'm using wpa_gui on my laptop. I don't really have a problem with it. But it seems that after each emerge @world I have another instance running after I boot. In the beginning I had 3 of them. Now whenever I start the laptop I get 6 (yes, six) open windows of wpa_gui.

Why does it do that? And more important, how can I tell it that 1 window is enough?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What desktop environment are you using and are you saving session each time you logout/restoring when you login?
Do they come back up if you close them before logging out/shutting down?
Do they come up as another/all user(s)?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a bit longer as the laptop was updating and I ran into issues with rust...

- I'm using KDE/Plasma. Standard choice with an eselect
- I don't really save/restore a session. I start KDE with "startx" and shut down the laptop with the shutdown from the KDE menu
- yes, they always come back. I can close the windows but I then get the message "wpa_gui will continue running in the system tray". If I look with "ps auxw" after closing I see the 6 of them listed as running processes.
- I am the only user apart from root. If I run KDE as root then I get only a single instance at startup. But it looks as if that was also the first time I logged into KDE as root.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would see likely you have multiple and incrementing invocations of wpa_supplicant in startup scripts, and something in emerge @world is causing it. Possbily the output of emerge --info wpa_supplicant would be helpful.

What starts wpa_supplicant? Is it started automatically? If yes, by what? Maybe explore in that direction.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the following and tried a few things.

- because there were 6 instances of wpa_supplicant running when I did "ps auxw", I killed 5 of them.
- next I shut the laptop down and booted again
- now there was only a single instance started
- rebooted the laptop again and it stayed at a single instance.

So I closed the instance. I get the notification "wpa_supplicant will keep running in the system tray". And manually started an instance with the menu. When I now reboot the laptop, the 2 instances start again.

I think I understand what happens. I normally close the instances. But as I cannot find them in the "system tray" when I need it I just use the menu to start it. Only it starts another instance, it doesn't open the interface of the instance that is already running.

So the problem is now changed into: why don't I find the running instance in the systems tray?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I figured, unfortunately I don't know KDE and if/how it saves sessions. I know that xfce optionally saves sessions on logout and will restart these things on login, but if you have the program also in login scripts, you will then get two... and one gets added every logout/login cycle. Perhaps removing the startup from the startup scripts and leaving it autostarting from logout/login is sufficient as a workaround. Or just disable session saves on logout (unless you like this feature...I sure don't and it's disabled for me in xfce!)
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
... So the problem is now changed into: why don't I find the running instance in the systems tray?

In case you're confused, the "system tray" is the think that pops up from the task manager when you click on the upwards triangle (or when it thinks it necessary, such as inserting a USB device). It's not normally open, which is why you might miss the fact that it's in there. Apologies if you already know this!

There's definitely a bug in wpa_gui's behaviour here: normally when I close it, I get a "radiating antenna" icon in the task manager, but every so often, particularly if it can't find a suitable service, the darned thing vanishes, and isn't in the system tray either. Once I've manually started a new copy, after the next reboot/logon, I have two of them!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's just a regular client, it's plausible to run multiple copies - one per desktop environment for a single machine...kind of silly but it's plausible. Whether it should enforce single run per environment is up to upstream. Perhaps as a workaround one can write a wrapper script that ensures only one is run per system...
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Spanik wrote:
... So the problem is now changed into: why don't I find the running instance in the systems tray?

In case you're confused, the "system tray" is the think that pops up from the task manager when you click on the upwards triangle (or when it thinks it necessary, such as inserting a USB device). It's not normally open, which is why you might miss the fact that it's in there. Apologies if you already know this!

That's what I thought as well. But I only have there "notifications", "clipboard", Night color control", "vaults", "battery and brightness", "disks & devices" and "lock keys status". Wpa_supplicant isn't there. And if I go into the controls, then wpa_supplicant isn't there as one that can appear in it.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice now that when wpa_gui runs, it only puts an invisible space into the system tray, and that space works, but I can't see. I think I've found a bug. The systray incidence should have an icon.

I'm running OpenBox with the panel from LXDE (lxpanel) which provides the system tray.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: