Standard/custom kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Standard/custom kernel? Reply with quote

1.) Is there any way to use a standard, that is, non-patched kernel with Gentoo? I mean install a non-patched kernel in the beginning, not download and recompile the kernel afterwards.

2.) Any plan to have some kind of more flexible patching mechanism? It'd be nice if Gentoo just came with a standard kernel and I could apply my own patches, though somewhat impractical. I use the lm_sensors (hardware monitoring) and pktcdvd (packet writing) patches. Hopefully these patches will be integrated into the kernel by 2.6.

3.) Anyone know what kernel 1.4 final will ship with? I'm hoping 2.4.20 will be out by then...
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard/custom kernel? Reply with quote

RK wrote:
1.) Is there any way to use a standard, that is, non-patched kernel with Gentoo? I mean install a non-patched kernel in the beginning, not download and recompile the kernel afterwards.

emerge sys-kernel/vanilla-sources

RK wrote:
2.) Any plan to have some kind of more flexible patching mechanism? It'd be nice if Gentoo just came with a standard kernel and I could apply my own patches, though somewhat impractical. I use the lm_sensors (hardware monitoring) and pktcdvd (packet writing) patches. Hopefully these patches will be integrated into the kernel by 2.6.

see above, you dont have to use the custom gentoo-kernel, there are other kernel versions available too ... see /usr/portage/sys-kernel/

RK wrote:
3.) Anyone know what kernel 1.4 final will ship with? I'm hoping 2.4.20 will be out by then...

who knows :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard/custom kernel? Reply with quote

RK wrote:

What do you mean by "in the beginning"? Downloading and compiling a kernel is part of the normal Gentoo installation process.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: