Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Getting framebuffer to work with Nouveau drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Getting framebuffer to work with Nouveau drivers? Reply with quote

So iam having an issue getting the framebuffer to work and it keeps freezing on the initramfs screen but the keyboard still works.
I want to use the built in Nouveau drivers because it works with Realtime but i am having serious issues with frame buffer support.

I have console support on, VGA text mode on, simple frame buffer support on. EFI FB support, VESA FB Support but nothing.......

Been Googling and attempting to fix the issue for the past few hours.

Last edited by finalturismo on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finalturismo,

nouveau gives you nouveaufb free. The other you mention may be used before nouveaufb is started.

We need to see your kernel .config file, the dmesg, which you can get if you ssh in.
Both go to pastebins.

Your
Code:
lspci -nnk
output will be good too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
finalturismo,

nouveau gives you nouveaufb free. The other you mention may be used before nouveaufb is started.

We need to see your kernel .config file, the dmesg, which you can get if you ssh in.
Both go to pastebins.

Your
Code:
lspci -nnk
output will be good too.

I happened to get it working with vesa. Need a very specific set of frame buffer options that i stole from a defaut locamodconfig.

Never realized how picky frame buffer was till now. Also saw alot of post on the net about the original nouveaufb not working but vesa did.

There are also frame buffer options that if set will override other ones. From what i found vesa seems to be a good for a wide range of GPUs.

freedesktop.org has a faq about the frame buffer issues with the default neuveafb.

If anyone comes across this issue while trying to only use tje built in the kernel nouveau driver, let me know and i will let you know what FB options to select that will get you get console display without quiet being on in the kernel parameters.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: