View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: dunst configuration file not working? {SOLVED] Reply with quote

EDIT: As per my reply below I've changed the subject here.

Wow...Feel like I'm loosing my mind here.

Some time back I installed x11-libs/libnotify and started using the notify-send program for a few monitoring cron jobs I run for my user. When I did that, I found some way to configure it so as to center the notifications at the bottom of my screen. Note that I have dbus installed (mainly because it was required for thunderbird) but I've never had it's service running. It's always appeared that notify-send just starts a background process for that if it's not already running.

I just updated recently, though none of that should have been affected. Now out of nowhere my messages started appearing in the upper right, which is exactly what I don't want. However a) I CANNOT recall what/where the file was where I configured that, and b) I've Googled everything imaginable, and can't find what that might have been!? In fact some things seem to indicate that you can't configure it(?).

HELP. This is just beyond weird.

Tom

Last edited by tld on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...now this is making a little more sense. I'd forgotten that the actual notification server I'd installed was dunst. In my update that was in fact updated from 1.6.1 to x11-misc/dunst-1.7.3.

The config file is at ~/.config/dunst/dunstrc and must not be working in the new version...will dig further.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...marked this one as solved. Apparently in dunst-1.7.3 for format of the dunstrc file changed significantly, most notably the "geometry" setting I was using no longer exists. As it turns out, getting the bottom / centered notifications is actually much simpler in the new version:
Code:
diff /etc/dunst/dunstrc ~/.config/dunst/dunstrc
33c33,34
<     origin = top-right
---
> #    origin = top-right
>     origin = bottom-center

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: