Anyway to update only UPDATABLE PACKAGES
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Anyway to update only UPDATABLE PACKAGES Reply with quote

So is there a way to update only updatable package on Gentoo.

For example if i run into packages blocking a system update instead of spending 5 hours excluding packages and updating packages 1 by 1 until i can get past the conflict or blocked package etc...

Can i just run a command that only updates the packages that can update without issue?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually blocked package are caused by a specific problem, it would be better to post the output to get help.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Usually blocked package are caused by a specific problem, it would be better to post the output to get help.

Yes i know and i can fix the issues by playing around and following error messages but i was wondering if it is a possibility.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, emerge does perform partial upgrades automagically if possible.
If it does not offer any updates, it means it was not able to find viable options. You can tell it to try harder by increasing --backtrack= value (i think 5 is the default, manual suggests 30 when required, you can provide an arbitrary value), possibly also --with-bdeps (though this one is probably just a waste of time)

There are no guarantees that a solution will be found (even if one exists), but some blocks can be just waited out, and others require manual intervention from you.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum command to update all packages is:
Code:
emerge --update --deep @world

This will not guarantee removal of any conflicts particularly when a USE flag is changed system-wide in the profile such as with PYTHON_TARGETS. For this reason, the --changed-use or --newuse options are often necessary to overcome this.

Solving the real issues and updating at regular intervals will keep things rather quiet.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
Code:

This will not guarantee removal of any conflicts particularly when a USE flag is changed system-wide in the profile such as with PYTHON_TARGETS. For this reason, the --changed-use or --newuse options are often necessary to overcome this.

Solving the real issues and updating at regular intervals will keep things rather quiet.

Python updates steal a day or 2 of my life sometimes and this is the 4th times iam having to do this.!?!?!!?!
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a long enough time period, yes, you can rack up a mess that requires several hours to untangle, particularly if you never develop proficiency in applying the information Portage is giving you. You can also make things worse by keeping several non-identical systems, and then needing to solve each of them individually.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Over a long enough time period, yes, you can rack up a mess that requires several hours to untangle, particularly if you never develop proficiency in applying the information Portage is giving you. You can also make things worse by keeping several non-identical systems, and then needing to solve each of them individually.

Yes well the reason i ask is i manage about 5 Gentoo systems a few which arnt technically mine...
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finalturismo wrote:
grknight wrote:
Code:

Python updates steal a day or 2 of my life sometimes and this is the 4th times iam having to do this.!?!?!!?!

It's not normal to have to do this, see Hu_'s comments. We can actually help you understand and fix them quickly if you let us.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
finalturismo wrote:
grknight wrote:
Code:

It's not normal to have to do this, see Hu_'s comments. We can actually help you understand and fix them quickly if you let us.

Ty i posted the results in other post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: