High resolution display scaling issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zah21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: High resolution display scaling issues Reply with quote

So my new laptop has a resolution of 2160x1350 with a 16:10 aspect ratio on a 13' screen. So the display overall is really nice but when it comes to browsing websites, I need to constantly zoom on every new site to be able to read the text. This is quite annoying and I'm not sure what tools are available / configuration changes that I can make to fix this.

I've seen on Ubuntu setting (Gnome-3) that the scaling can be changed so that makes thing much easier but without such a desktop environment it's difficult.

Anyone here have any ideas / suggestions on what can be done?
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: High resolution display scaling issues Reply with quote

zah21 wrote:
I've seen on Ubuntu setting (Gnome-3) that the scaling can be changed so that makes thing much easier but without such a desktop environment it's difficult.

Anyone here have any ideas / suggestions on what can be done?

I have thought every desktop has the ability to set a scaling factor like gnome and kde has (but I dont know for any others). But if there is really no chance you can try at least to set the size of used fonts in your browser itself. If you need more help we would need to know your environment.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could play with randr's scaling option for non-kde/non-gnome, I'm pretty sure both kde and gnome have a setting for scaling.

Otherwise, it's like pietinger mentioned, you could change font size.
Leonardo.b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, try to tweak Xft.dpi and Xcursor.size in ~/.Xresources.
zah21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses.

Anon-E-moose wrote:
you could play with randr's scaling option for non-kde/non-gnome, I'm pretty sure both kde and gnome have a setting for scaling.

Otherwise, it's like pietinger mentioned, you could change font size.

Are there any detailed guides on how to do that? I mean configuring xrandr. I've messed around with fonts on firefox, so far it's not been a good experience. Some sites work ok but other things look blown out of proportion.

I've a really busy schedule so stopped using Gentoo for a few years now. Miss the OCD state of messing around with things but I don't have the time for that anymore. I was considering switching to Gnome3 but I've been using i3 for half a decade now so don't feel like changing things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: