View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: [solved] Insane gtk+ mouse scroll behavior Reply with quote

With all gtk+ software, when I am into a window with a file list, as example the window we get when doing File -> Open, the only way I can scroll it is by clicking on the scroll bar on the right, keep the click or keep the mouse pointer over that scroll bar, and move the mouse up and down or use the mouse scroll when the pointer is over that scroll bar.

To simply having the mouse over the file list and using the scroll mouse buttons (mouse buttons 4 and 5) just doesn't work and this drives me completely nuts.

Is it some settings I can try to change?

It's on gentoo ~amd64 running X, fvwm and fvwm-crystal. The gtk theme in use is Aidwaita-dark. It is the same issue with all other themes I try. With the Qt software, I don't get that issue and the mouse scroll is just working fine into all kinds of windows.

Last edited by Dominique_71 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominique.

That's weird: it can't be a mouse configuration issue, as it's working with your QT software...yet it's not Adwaita-dark's fault either, as I can use that theme (with XFCE though, not FVWM) and the GTK programs behave as expected (both mouse wheel scrolling and page up/down key scrolling work, without any need to poke at the scroll bar). Maybe it's an obscure FVWM setting...I'm not familiar with that window manager.

All I can suggest, if you don't find the proper fix, is testing the keyboard page up/down method...and, if that works, turning your mouse events (buttons 4 and 5) into page up/down key presses. It's an ugly hack but better than nothing.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
Maybe it's an obscure FVWM setting...I'm not familiar with that window manager.

Hi psycho,

I don't think so, it is no command in fvwm that can do that. It is a few GTK hacks, but nothing related to the internal of gtk. fvwm can be view as a toolkit for the Xlib, it have no toolkit as dependencies, so it would be very weird it it can change what is the internal of gtk. Fvwm manage the windows decorations and behaviors, but not what is inside the windows.

Quote:
All I can suggest, if you don't find the proper fix, is testing the keyboard page up/down method...and, if that works, turning your mouse events (buttons 4 and 5) into page up/down key presses. It's an ugly hack but better than nothing.

I am in the middle of a world update now. I would prefer to do a gtk bug report than messing that way with the mouse shortcuts. But before I do that, I must move away all the gtk preferences in my home directory and reboot into the newly up to date system.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which driver do you use for your mouse?

Code:
$ equery list 'xf86-input-*'
 * Searching for xf86-input-* ...
[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput-1.2.0:0
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
Which driver do you use for your mouse?

Code:
$ equery list 'xf86-input-*'

First, in the middle of a world update, that command gave me a very strange result. Now, that update is done and it gave me:
Code:
 # equery list 'xf86-input-*'
[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.6:0
[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.9.1:0
[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-wacom-0.40.0:0

I will remove x86-input-evdev from my system and test the result.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few changes was necessary into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, but that changed nothing for that issue.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New test by renaming ~/.gtkrc-2.0, ~/.config/gtk-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0. I see the changes on the look, but that mouse behavior issue is still the same.

I also saw a few more things. In hexchat, the mouse scrolling is working fine. But in transmission-gtk, it is just not working, and one time on 100, it work but in that case, as soon I click on something, it stop working.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I found the solution here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1226465

A bug from 2015 that should really be fixed by sane default into gtk+ and not elsewhere. The following line into ~/.basrc fix it:
Code:
export GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS=1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: