Do I really need CONFIG_USER_NS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Do I really need CONFIG_USER_NS? Reply with quote

I am just upgrading my kernel from 4.19.175 to 4.19.214 using gentoo-sources. In diffing the kernel configs that I got after running make oldconfig, I noticed that it seems that "upstream" (Gentoo?) had (quietly) turned on CONFIG_USER_NS (user namespaces). Make oldconfig did not present this to me for a choice.

I have kept that deliberately turned off because I have read it is a potential security hole, allowing root privilege escalation. Whenever I try to google and read more about these issues, my eyes glaze over... I am really not capable of digging deeply enough into this topic to be able to make my own decisions about security.

I recall that Chromium's build has "nagged" me in the past that I should have this turned on, but nothing seems to be broken without it. To this day, I am running Chromium (and Vivaldi, fwiw) without user namespaces, and also without SUID, and everything seems fine.

Is there some good reason that "upstream" is trying to force this on me? Is it safe? Does not having it prevent me from running Docker some day? Thx.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User namespaces allow unprivileged user code access to call kernel code that was historically restricted to root, and to access only resources that either (a) could have been accessed without the user namespace or (b) are logically associated with the user namespace. In theory, all such code was reviewed and appropriately hardened before this access was granted. In practice, there have been bugs, particularly around input validation, where a previously root-only component could be exploited in a user namespace. For example, normally users cannot create new mount namespaces, but a user namespace allows that. If there is an ioctl that required privilege over a mount namespace, then before user namespaces, only root could use that ioctl. With user namespaces, an unprivileged user could create a new user namespace+mount namespace, and then use that root-only ioctl in the mount namespace. If that ioctl has an input handling bug, then the user namespace allows unprivileged users to trigger that bug. This is not a fault of the user namespace. It is the fault of the buggy ioctl.

The upside of user namespaces is that they allow user processes to build for themselves limited environments that previously required root. For example, historically only root could use chroot to isolate its view of the filesystem. With user namespaces, ordinary users can lock themselves into a chroot jail, which is desirable for web browsers because of their terrible security record (which is a direct consequence of the fascination with running everything in the browser, meaning the browser must be horribly complex, which leaves plenty of places for security bugs to creep in).

By running without user namespaces, you are likely hindering the browser's ability to confine the subprocesses that handle the most untrusted content. As long as you run only secure web browsers, this should be fine. (Note: a quick review of how often browser releases fix something nasty suggests there is no such thing as a secure web browser, if you want it to work with the modern Javascript infested web.)
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu... thanks for taking the time to give a detailed explanation. Very helpful, and no eye glazing :lol:

I hear you saying that setting CONFIG_USER_NS is advisable, in your opinion. I have taken that under consideration and perhaps not on this kernel upgrade, but maybe the next, relatively soon, I expect I'll decide to go for it.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...
Kernel unconfigured for now...
Hu's explanation is convincingly clear.

Currently reconsidering... :roll:

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of context from kernel-5.15.6
Code:
 CONFIG_USER_NS:
  │
  │ This allows containers, i.e. vservers, to use user namespaces
  │ to provide different user info for different servers.
  │
  │ When user namespaces are enabled in the kernel it is
  │ recommended that the MEMCG option also be enabled and that
  │ user-space use the memory control groups to limit the amount
  │ of memory a memory unprivileged users can use.
  │
  │ If unsure, say N.
  │
  │ Symbol: USER_NS [=n]
  │ Type  : bool
  │ Defined at init/Kconfig:1249
  │   Prompt: User namespace
  │   Depends on: NAMESPACES [=y]
  │   Location:
  │     -> General setup
  │       -> Namespaces support (NAMESPACES [=y])
  │ Selected by [n]:
  │   - GENTOO_LINUX_PORTAGE [=n] && GENTOO_LINUX [=n]
Code:
  │ Symbol: MEMCG [=n]
  │ Type  : bool
  │ Defined at init/Kconfig:971
  │   Prompt: Memory controller
  │   Depends on: CGROUPS [=y]
  │   Location:
  │     -> General setup
  │ (1)   -> Control Group support (CGROUPS [=y])
  │ Selects: PAGE_COUNTER [=n] && EVENTFD [=y]
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afa kconfig-hardened-check app is concerned, CONFIG_USER_NS is indeed discouraged:
Code:
CONFIG_USER_NS                               | is not set  |  clipos  | cut_attack_surface |
to be taken with a grain of salt, though.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this happened:
Code:
11:07 root@linux # grep USER_NS .config
# CONFIG_USER_NS is not set
11:07 root@linux # make
scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  DESCEND  objtool
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 778 modules
11:07 root@linux #
00:25 root@linux # grep USER_NS .config
CONFIG_USER_NS=y
00:25 root@linux #
Giving this some thought, I realized that this must be being activated by some other kernel setting that has it as a "dependency"? Digging in to make menuconfig a bit, I find that it seems to be CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_PORTAGE. I suppose I don't want to turn that off. The help explains that all this stuff will be default pretty soon, so get used to it (in so many words).

Doesn't seem very "Gentoo" to force this kind of thing on people in order to be able to use the default package manager, but... as I noted earlier, I probably would have given in pretty soon anyway, so I guess soon is now :roll:

Last edited by Punchcutter on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
it's just a text file that doesn't know who or how it was changed, right?

No! There are dependencies between options. Editing .config manually is strongly discouraged.
- Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?
- They had eggs.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halcon wrote:
No! There are dependencies between options. Editing .config manually is strongly discouraged.

Point taken. But I've already edited that bit out of my previous message :D
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
Doesn't seem very "Gentoo" to force this kind of thing on people in order to be able to use the default package manager, but... as I noted earlier, I probably would have given in pretty soon anyway, so I guess soon is now :roll:

Take a look into /usr/src/linux/distro/Kconfig and you will see which option enables more options. For example if you activate Gentoo-SYSTEMD you will have all what systemd recommends, even it is not neccessary, e.g. IPv6 is now hard enabled ... bad, if you dont want IPv6 and you want to disable it. The only chance you have is:
1. Edit the Kconfig file -or-
2. Dont enable Gentoo-systemd and enable all other needed for systemd by yourself
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
So, this happened:
Code:
11:07 root@linux # grep USER_NS .config
# CONFIG_USER_NS is not set
11:07 root@linux # make
scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  DESCEND  objtool
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 778 modules
11:07 root@linux #
00:25 root@linux # grep USER_NS .config
CONFIG_USER_NS=y
00:25 root@linux #
Giving this some thought, I realized that this must be being activated by some other kernel setting that has it as a "dependency"? Digging in to make menuconfig a bit, I find that it seems to be CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_PORTAGE. I suppose I don't want to turn that off. The help explains that all this stuff will be default pretty soon, so get used to it (in so many words).

You're not being forced to (you don't even have to use that option) -- it's just recommended because it's a common set of things needed to make things work correctly, in particular, for Portage's sandboxing. Feel free to turn off the CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_* options and manually enable the ones you need (with the tradeoffs from disabling some of them) if you want more control?

As Hu has explained well, most people should really enable this anyway. Not doing so is like disabling seccomp -- your system is likely to be less secure as a result.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: