Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores. Reply with quote

So i have been doing a bit of reading and found out you can force your intel based cpu to its max turbo ratio across all cores
and by pass the tdp limit using wrmsr from the msr-tools package.

Problem is there are like zero guides for doing this and i was wondering if one of you guys could me understand this.

Here is a link for basic explanation.
https://gist.github.com/Mnkai/5a8edd34bd949199224b33bd90b8c3d4

Here is the link for the cpu specific msr links from intel.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/download/intel-64-and-ia-32-architectures-software-developers-manual-volume-4-model-specific-registers.html

I installed the msr-tools package and enabled a kernel parameter for it and it seems be working. I was able to write msrs to my cpu, but the best ive goten was instability till crash or lower clock speeds.

The most i understand is how to choose to msr registry attribute to change, but i dont understand how to generate the mask for my cpu cores and their multiple values.

Anyway this a very rare find and it allows you to get non unlocked cpus to their max turbo values on all cores. So maybe one of you can help me for finding this XD.

Heres a link with a good break down of msr calculation, but i still dont get it...
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Undervolt_intel_CPU
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finalturismo,

Only two hours for a bump?
That's a bit optimistic. It takes 24 hours for everyone to have one opportunity to read a new post.

By responding to your own topic, its no longer in the "Unanswered topics" search either.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Kernel & Hardware.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that.. XD guess i do now.

One can only hope, kinda interested to see if i can get some help on this one. I got some ideas for this.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores. Reply with quote

finalturismo wrote:
So i have been doing a bit of reading and found out you can force your intel based cpu to its max turbo ratio across all cores

Problem is there are like zero guides for doing this and i was wondering if one of you guys could me understand this.

I suspect the reason you've had no meaningful replies is that there's nobody here sufficiently brave/foolhardy to try it. Intel put the tdp limit there to protect the hardware; forcing the chip to run outside the limit risks killing your cpu.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores. Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
finalturismo wrote:

I suspect the reason you've had no meaningful replies is that there's nobody here sufficiently brave/foolhardy to try it. Intel put the tdp limit there to protect the hardware; forcing the chip to run outside the limit risks killing your cpu.

TDP is more based on marketing. Most chips from the same generation have the same architecture and are set at different speeds and models with different TDP limits. your still technically in spec of the architecture just not of the model.

For example some models go to higher TDP and Turbo ratio than others.

With this it allows you force your CPU to multiplier limits. There is little to no risk involved working on standard desktop CPUs.

The risk is when you are using tools like this on laptops or low end desktop units who do not have sufficient cooling to support a higher model CPU.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to figure out a way to disable this strange behavior: I find my laptop drops out of turbo boost mode immediately if I shake or just tilt the computer. Temperature doesn't matter, it will drop out if the processor is mostly idle at the time too. It seems to reenable turbo after the machine is still for 3 minutes.

It's an older laptop, a 3rd gen Core i5.

---

BTW my 2nd gen i7 (unlocked) seems to ignore writing the max multipliers with wrmsr, still only goes with what was written in the MSRs through BIOS... It says the multipliers are changed in i7z, but no speed bump is observed.
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I'd like to figure out a way to disable this strange behavior: I find my laptop drops out of turbo boost mode immediately if I shake or just tilt the computer. Temperature doesn't matter, it will drop out if the processor is mostly idle at the time too. It seems to reenable turbo after the machine is still for 3 minutes.

---

BTW my 2nd gen i7 (unlocked) seems to ignore writing the max multipliers with wrmsr, still only goes with what was written in the MSRs through BIOS... It says the multipliers are changed in i7z, but no speed bump is observed.

What was the process you did?
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:

The paste has dried up and shrunk. When you torque the body of the laptop you're lifting the heatsink partially off the CPU package. The thermal mass of just the package is low enough that you immediately get a hot spot on the chip and it throttles itself.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores. Reply with quote

finalturismo wrote:

The most i understand is how to choose to msr registry attribute to change, but i dont understand how to generate the mask for my cpu cores and their multiple values.

Which MSRs are you writing and why?
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: msr-tools help unlocking max turbo across all cores. Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
finalturismo wrote:

Which MSRs are you writing and why?

TDP and Turbo Values.

Free CPU upgrade?

Same reason people overclock, but this is nice for locked processors as you can at least push them to maxed turbo ratio across all cores.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: