Add ZFS To Minimal Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxcow55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Add ZFS To Minimal Install Reply with quote

Requesting ZFSOL filesystem [/b]be added to minimal install, ZFS is very popular and it would be nice to have this right in the minimal install to use.
Very frustrating that it isn't.[b]
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a licencing issue that prevents zfs module to be included in the Linux kernel.
Having said that there are many live cds that do come with zfs available.
Try maybe Manjaro.
It doesnt matter which live cd you use to install Gentoo.You can use anything you like.
tuxcow55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally prefer to use the livecd for the distro I'm installing. It also does seem a bit dumb (no offense) to suggest using another distros livecd just to get ZFS partitioning on the livecd. Like why even offer the gentoo minimal install, if you get my point.

Also is that actually an issue in this case? I thought that was for the kernel, not livecds. Users can already enable the zfs options when they build their kernel, but my suggestion was to have it so users can partition the drives at the start with zfs:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks#Applying_a_filesystem_to_a_partition
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I generally prefer to use the livecd for the distro I'm installing.

Its a matter of preference.But if you use something else you will get the extra benefit of a Desktop Environment also.
So i dont see it that "dumb"
Code:

Also is that actually an issue in this case? I thought that was for the kernel, not livecds.

Well live cds DO contain a kernel dont they?
In Linux the zfs module is always external ie the user should build it after having compiled the kernel.
It is the module and and userspace tools.
It is not only Gentoo.
Most of distros dont offer zfs as an installation option for that precise reason.
Manjaro was an exception.
I am sure there are others.
You see not everybody want a root-on-zfs installation nor an lvm-on-luks for that matter.
These are more "niche" kind of interests that can easily be implemented by the user.
:)
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linus Torvalds wrote:
Quote:
Don't use ZFS. It's that simple. It was always more of a buzzword than anything else, I feel, and the licensing issues just make it a non-starter for me.

The benchmarks I've seen do not make ZFS look all that great. And as far as I can tell, it has no real maintenance behind it either any more, so from a long-term stability standpoint, why would you ever want to use it in the first place?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: