Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
need to make new initramfs for new CPU. How to do it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,

I had two ports on the old machine, because the plug on the one on the board wore out. However, here's my problem: the liveUSB names the one on the new board enp3s0, while the machine itself, apparently does not. Without being able to log in, I can't find out what it's named to add it with rc-update. Is there some config file I can use to force the name? It's not eth0, eth1, or enp3s0.

As for logging in, elogind is failing to start. Would that prevent me from being able to log in?
UPDATE: remerging elogind fixed my problem logging in, huzzah! So ow I can log in, and see that there is no network device created at all for the ethernet adapter, despite the specific kernel module being built in. I guess i'll go about fixing that.

UPDATE2: so, 'ls /sys/class/net/' shows two items, lo and "sit0". Would the system really have named the network adapter as "sit0"? That seems … weird. But ifconfig shows no other devices.

UPDATE3: haha, whoops, I forgot to mount /boot before doing 'make install', so the new kernel never got installed on real /boot. got internet working now.

Now I'm trying to get xorg, or rather lightdm, to start

Is there a way to tell the initramfs (I'm using the genkernel one) to run fsck on /, /usr, and /var before switching to "real" root?

Cheers,

EE
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that UPDATE3 solved this, but as a note: no, sit0 is not your network card. That is a tunneling device. You probably don't need it to exist.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
Is there a way to tell the initramfs (I'm using the genkernel one) to run fsck on /, /usr, and /var before switching to "real" root?

Current genkernel initramfs does not support fsck on any thing.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: after ploughing through illegal opcode warnings, I got xorg, then my browser, also internet and audio, up and running. Now I'm working my way through the end-point programs like libreoffice, texstudio, etc.

Question about genkernel's initramfs: if it doesn't do fsck on any premounted filesystems, is there a way to do that at any stage? fsck won't check filesystems that are already mounted, so whatever does it would have to do it at the early boot stage, yes?

I'm almost home…

Cheers,

EE
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus,

fsck will run on read only filesystem. That's how root is checked and why its mounted read only, then remounted rw later.
If root is rw, it passed its fsck.

You can remount /usr ro to run fsck, as long as there is nothing open for writing.

/var can only be checked when its not mounted.

Be aware that fsck cannot fix everything on a ro filesystem. It may warn you to run it again while its not mounted.

Warning: When fsck finds an inconsistency, it guesses what should be there. When it guesses incorrectly, it wakes things worse, not better and the is no undo.

Do make some backups and validate them before you start.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
Question about genkernel's initramfs: if it doesn't do fsck on any premounted filesystems, is there a way to do that at any stage? fsck won't check filesystems that are already mounted, so whatever does it would have to do it at the early boot stage,

May I ask why you think fsck are needed?

If your shutdown are correctly executed your would not need fsck after restart. if you encounter a unexpected situation cause system unclean shutdown it would be better off by manually examine each file system at early boot sequence when init system decide fsck is required

To answer your question about early boot stage fsck, I don't know if it possible with systemd but if you are using OpenRC it is possible.

*** Warning, Doing follow might cause even bigger problem than you expect ***
  • root# touch /forcefsck
above will cause /etc/init.d/fsck perform fsck with default options -A -p. The -p will cause for ext4 filesystem automatically fix filesystem where it can safely fixed without human intervention. -A will walk through the /etc/fstab file and try to check all filesystems in one run.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, previously I had problems with the machine randomly switching off when the MOSFETS overheated (the mobo was eight years old, which was why I started this whole ordeal in the first place). So I'd get a lot of orphaned inodes and similar when it rebooted. But if you and Neddy both caution that this isn't necessary/desired on /usr and /var on bootup, I can leave it.

So now the machine is running great, with the only problem being occasionally tripping over SIGILL errors in random programs and then remerging those ebuilds.

(on a side note, brave [the browser] keeps giving errors like this in dmesg:

Code:
[  312.436830] brave[5631]: segfault at 0 ip 0000557147cc4519 sp 00007fff6cb00100 error 4 in brave[557143958000+9d84000]
[  312.436839] Code: 00 48 8d 34 03 48 81 c6 00 10 00 00 0f b6 84 03 1e 10 00 00 83 e0 3f 49 89 c5 49 f7 dd 48 c1 e0 05 48 89 f7 48 29 c7 0f 18 0f <80> 3a 02 48 89 7d d0 0f 84 52 01 00 00 80 7a 02 00 0f 84 8a 01 00

This is obviously another illegal instruction, but is there any way to track down which specific dependency is causing it? It's not the brave binary itself, because that's brave-bin)

I think I'm almost done with this. Hoo boy, has this been a stressful week!

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: