General portage question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: General portage question Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying that I have been using Gentoo for a long time, but I haven't really put much thought into my question before just recently. Suffice to say I am probably using this wrong.

Say I have a package such as dev-python/backrefs which currently only shows version 5.2 and it happens to be stable...yet, I currently have version 5.1 installed which was marked as testing last I checked. For portage, I setup the ~amd64 accepted key word for portage like so...

Code:
=dev-python/backrefs-5.1 ~amd64

My thinking is that when the next stable build arrives, no matter which version it is, it would be installed as long as it is different than the current version. Yet that doesn't happen, however if I change it to...

Code:
dev-python/backrefs ~amd64

the next stable build will be installed. Is that why...

Code:
>=dev-python/backrefs-5.1 ~amd64

is recommended when dealing with testing packages? And as a followup, will that install any package that is in testing or stable?

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: General portage question Reply with quote

gjy0724 wrote:
Code:

My thinking is that when the next stable build arrives, no matter which version it is, it would be installed as long as it is different than the current version Yet that doesn't happen

This is true and is weird that portage not install the next stable version.
For example with sys-apps/less
Code:
# eix less
[I] sys-apps/less
     Available versions:  581.2 ~589 590 {pcre unicode}
     Installed versions:  590(04:46:45 PM 09/01/2021)(pcre unicode)
     Homepage:            http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/
     Description:         Excellent text file viewer
# echo '=sys-apps/less-589 ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
# emerge -1 '=sys-apps/less-589'
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!
[ebuild     UD~] sys-apps/less-589::gentoo [590::gentoo] USE="pcre unicode" 345 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 downgrade), Size of downloads: 345 KiB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-apps/less-589::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-apps/less-589::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete                           Load avg: 0.39, 0.26, 0.32
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
# emerge -uDU @world
Password:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/less-590::gentoo [589::gentoo] USE="pcre unicode" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

gjy0724 wrote:
, however if I change it to...

Code:

the next stable build will be installed.

This leads me to say that the version you think is stable is actually not.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you were able to downgrade the sys-apps/less package to a testing release and then upgrade it back to a stable release using the
Code:
=sys-apps/less-589 ~amd64
syntax, yet this morning I wasn't able to update dev-python/backrefs until I revised my accept_keywords file to
Code:
. And, you are right the last config more likely installs the next version available if it is stable or testing, but obviously the latter is more likely.

With all that said, what is the best way to setup accept_keywords to minimize testing packages. I was hoping
Code:
would do the trick, but it does not.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjy0724 wrote:
yet this morning I wasn't able to update dev-python/backrefs until I revised my accept_keywords
Please show the full shell output of what you tried and what Portage printed, both before and after your change to accept_keywords. If I were to guess based on your description, your problem is only related to unstable by way of use flag masking. Consider, on a stable system:
Code:
# emerge -pvO backrefs

[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/backrefs-5.0.1::gentoo  USE="-doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9 (-python3_10) -python3_8" 4024 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 4024 KiB
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64 emerge -pvO =backrefs-5.0.1

[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/backrefs-5.0.1::gentoo  USE="-doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9 -python3_10 -python3_8" 4024 KiB
I deliberately forced the same version of the package both with and without unstable keywords. Yet, when I allow unstable keywords, I have the option of using Python 3.10. When I do not allow unstable, python3_10 is masked out (via a use.stable.mask entry in my architecture's profile). My guess is you experienced the same, and your real problem was that you were required to have Python 3.10 support enabled, which was only possible when the unstable keyword overrode the use.stable.mask.
gjy0724 wrote:
With all that said, what is the best way to setup accept_keywords to minimize testing packages. I was hoping
Code:
would do the trick, but it does not.
You should usually use ~, not =, so that you can accept Gentoo revisions within an upstream release. Other than that, what you describe is reasonable.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me back up a bit actually. A few weeks ago, I went through all of my ~amd64 entries to try to minimize the number of perpetual test builds by setting all to...
Code:
=group/package-version ~amd64

Although, I knew that some such as packages from overlays, would need to be set to...
Code:
group/package ~amd64

My thought/hope was that using the former testing setting would be that the current testing version would be replaced by the next stable version. I ran updates as normal at least once a week with those settings. However, during a recent update, my Cinnamon desktop broke due to a partial update as I install it from an overlay. So last night I updated all entries from that overlay to use the
Code:
group/package ~amd64
setup which resolved my issue for just those packages and fixed the Cinnamon desktop, none of the other testing packages were updated. Because of that, this morning I went through and did the same to my other testing settings ran a system update
Code:
emerge -uNDav world
as normal. Several, somewhere between 5-10 packages were updated including the previously mentioned dev-python/backrefs-5.1 which was testing at install to 5.2 which is a stable, and only listed package on packages.g.o, package. So naturally the changes I made a few weeks ago didn't work like I hoped or thought they would.

Honestly, I do not remember the reason why dev-python/backrefs-5.1 was installed using ~amd64. I need to start adding notes to those files when when making those changes. I do know that the use of python 3.10 was not involved as part of the reason, likely it was because of another package that required it. I mainly brought up that package because it validated that the use of accepted keywords doesn't work like I was hoping for.n

Hopefully that clears up my issue(s). Tonight I went through all of my testing packages and remove the testing references for any that were on stable releases. In the end, I would hope that there was an easier way to handle that scenario.

Thank you
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always check why a certain package version is not installed by running
Code:
emerge -p =cat/pkg-version

That should output an error specifying why that version cannot be installed currently. Alternatively if that command does propose to install the requested version, a deeper investigation might be necessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: