Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
October 2021. Would you suggest to switch to Wayland?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g-virus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: October 2021. Would you suggest to switch to Wayland? Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.

This question is always in my head. I think I'm happy with Xorg and i3wm, I cannot say it works somehow wrong or slow or it deserved to be replaced. But Wayland is under development, time is running, maybe something interesting appeared, maybe problems have gone. Could you guys, who uses Wayland, tell in that topic your opinion regarding that technology? Are you satisfied with Wayland, is it worth to switch to Wayland just because you want to try something new, is it worth to switch because of other reasons, etc.

Questions:

• Is it stable?
  • Is it significantly better than Xorg in performance?
  • How often do you have to use XWayland to run applications?
  • Is there a problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers compatibility?
  • Is it compatible with Gentoo's no-multilib profile?
  • Any GUI glitches in GTK/Qt applications? Other applications?
  • How good is it in fullscreen OpenGL/Vulkan applications?
  • Tearing

Thank you in advance!
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Sway, a tiling window manager and Wayland compositor, inspired by i3. As far as I know, it works pretty well.

You could install Sway in parallel to your existing i3wm environment. Then try Sway. If you like it, stay with it. If not, fall back to i3wm.

I have a set of shell scripts that allow me to easily switch between different desktop environments and between X and Wayland: "startx" starts my XFCE environment, "start_sway" starts Sway, "start_weston" start Weston (the Wayland reference compositor) and so on.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it stable?
Is it significantly better than Xorg in performance?
How often do you have to use XWayland to run applications?
Is there a problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers compatibility?
Is it compatible with Gentoo's no-multilib profile?
Any GUI glitches in GTK/Qt applications? Other applications?
How good is it in fullscreen OpenGL/Vulkan applications?
Tearing

yes, using freshly installed sway/waybar only system (dual monitor) with tinydm via autologin, then swaylock starts and acts like a login-manager, no Xorg at all.

way better than Xorg, apps starting way faster.

xwayland - don't know, most apps i use are wayland compatible ootb.

using amdgpu, which is perfect.

yes, i use no-multilib profile.

nope, no glitches at all, even if playing 0ad on first monitor and watching movies on second.

i just love it, won't use anything else, wayland is the future.

greetings (...programs) 8)
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: October 2021. Would you suggest to switch to Wayland? Reply with quote

• Is it stable? – Wayland is just a specification, so it depends on which implementation (compositor) is chosen. Sway, Wayfire are safe options for daily driver.
  • Is it significantly better than Xorg in performance? – I think performance is the same.
  • How often do you have to use XWayland to run applications? – X apps are started transparently, user is not required to start XWayland separately if, for example, wayfire or sway was emerged with X flag.
  • Is there a problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers compatibility? – driver v470 works for my optimus card 940M. I observed some issues with sleep/resume when nvidia is enabled but I have not investigated yet. I run intel card most of the time.
  • Is it compatible with Gentoo's no-multilib profile? – I use combined profile no-multilib+desktop.
  • Any GUI glitches in GTK/Qt applications? Other applications? – I did not observe such issues.
  • Tearing – No tearing, this is the one of reasons to switch to something Wayland based. Subjectively, the video is nicer to watch in wayland based compositor.

If you're i3wm user, look at Sway.
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to jump in and hijack a little.

How well does plasma/kde work in wayland right now? I see there is a hard push.
Does steam/games/wine/proton work?
How are multimedia applications (eg mpv/browsers)?
Currently if I switch to wayland from X, what are the issues to be aware of?
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:
How well does plasma/kde work in wayland right now?
Currently if I switch to wayland from X, what are the issues to be aware of?

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers
g-virus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all of you for your replies, guys! I actually got inspired to try Wayland now. I have a fresh installation of Gentoo, no-multilib profile, and I want to try Sway since I'm in love with i3-gaps. But I'm a little bit confused when I see a list of dependencies that Sway pulls - there is almost nothing compared to Xorg!

Code:

[ebuild  N     ] gui-wm/wayfire-0.7.2::gentoo  USE="gles system-wfconfig system-wlroots -X" 736 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-40.1.1::gentoo  USE="-branding" 16,828 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  gui-libs/gtk-layer-shell-0.1.0-r1::gentoo  USE="-examples -gtk-doc" 34 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.29:3::gentoo  USE="X introspection wayland (-aqua) -broadway -cloudprint -colord -cups -examples -gtk-doc -sysprof -test -vim-syntax -xinerama" 20,896 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gui-wm/sway-1.6.1-r1::gentoo  USE="man swaybar swaybg swayidle swaylock swaymsg swaynag -X -tray -wallpapers" 5,421 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    app-eselect/eselect-fontconfig-1.1-r1::gentoo  2 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   gnome-base/librsvg-2.50.7:2::gentoo  USE="introspection vala" 21,704 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    x11-libs/pango-1.48.10::gentoo  USE="introspection -X -debug -sysprof" 2,024 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]     media-libs/fontconfig-2.13.1-r2:1.0::gentoo  USE="-doc -static-libs" 1,684 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]     media-libs/harfbuzz-2.9.1:0/0.9.18::gentoo  USE="cairo glib graphite introspection truetype -debug -doc -experimental -icu -test" 18,706 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]      media-libs/freetype-2.11.0-r1:2::gentoo  USE="adobe-cff bzip2 cleartype-hinting harfbuzz png -X -brotli -debug -doc -fontforge (-infinality) -static-libs -utils" 2,208 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  gui-apps/swaylock-1.5-r1::gentoo  USE="filecaps gdk-pixbuf man pam" 35 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  gui-apps/swaybg-1.0::gentoo  USE="man" 16 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-libs/cairo-1.16.0-r4::gentoo  USE="X glib svg (-aqua) -debug (-gles2-only) -opengl -static-libs -utils -valgrind" 41,014 KiB

It that really enough to get system work? (I skipped lightdm, rofi, urxvt and status bar for now)
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really want to disable X? Not recommended. Start with a mixed environment, then migrate all the applications you use to Wayland (step by step) and then turn off X .
g-virus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Do you really want to disable X? Not recommended. Start with a mixed environment, then migrate all the applications you use to Wayland (step by step) and then turn off X .

I have a fresh installation on a new computer, there are no applications yet, that's why I would like to keep system either pure X or Wayland
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run X along side wayland, and swap back and forth easily. I recommend that for those first trying wayland.

To run wayland it would be best to turn on the wayland use flag for several things. My system, has these with the wayland flag turned on.
Code:
dev-cpp/gtkmm
dev-qt/qtgui
dev-util/vulkan-tools
media-gfx/imv
media-libs/libsdl2
media-libs/mesa
media-libs/vulkan-loader
media-video/libva-utils
media-video/mpv
sys-block/gparted
www-client/firefox-bin
x11-libs/gtk+
x11-libs/libva
x11-libs/libxkbcommon

That should get you to the point of being able to easily use gtk+/qt apps under wayland.

Wayland is a WIP, things might break, though I've not had any major breakage.
As far as performance vs X, the graphics/video effects are smoother, and thus seem better.
This includes tearing, if there is tearing it would be a bug that will get fixed.
I use a couple of older apps (pre-wayland) so they automatically run under Xwayland.
As far as nvidia, that depends on which card one is using and which set of drivers, there's mixed results across the board for nvidia.
No problem with no-multilib.
Haven't run any apps that use Vulkan, though I have the plumbing set to go.

When I started using wayland, I had X set up using startx.
I added all the wayland use flags that I thought I would need, recompiled those libs.
Then I compiled wayfire and all it's dependencies (wlroots, wayland & protocols, etc) and created a little script to set certain env vars and start the compositor, from the console (startw :) )

Then after I was comfortable that wayland met my needs, I did away with the Xserver, and use straight wayland or Xwayland now.
Leave the different X libraries, as you'll need them, with or without X itself.

Good luck.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
(startw :)

'w' is for... wonderland? :wink:
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are all installed ebuilds on my sway only system for comparison:

https://dpaste.com/C3BG32QVN

my emerge --info -v:

https://dpaste.com/5NTYWU2FY

all problems i had before because of usb keyboard hiccups, while using a mixed system with Xorg and sway, are now gone with only sway and no Xorg :D

and here's a great site for Color translation:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/index.html

8)
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Plasma with Wayland for almost an year. So good so far. The biggest issue that I've is that sometimes under high CPU load when building some packages with LTO, i.e. Mesa, FF and some others, Konsole and Chromium are crashed or killed without ant reason.

Last edited by Perfect Gentleman on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to echo that I've been running a pure Wayland environment (sway) built on Gentoo since early 2019 on an x86-based laptop that is my daily work and personal machine. I don't really have any problems of which to speak at this point -- other than screen sharing during meetings, though I understand there is a fix for this.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for balance :-( I keep trying plasma+Wayland, and it doesn't work for me; it comes up OK, but various small annoyances mount up to it not being ready IMHO.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both gnome and kde have problems with wayland (to varying degrees) though with each update they're getting better.
I've heard that there are many fixes that went into 5.23, but I have also heard that there are still some problems.

Everything about wayland should be looked at as a WIP (usable in most cases, but still a WIP)
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to use wayland with screen sharing apps like jitsi/zoom/teams? I used to use wayland exclusively for a short while, but shifted out due to screen sharing limitations & turned off the use flag. Would love to hear if something has changed in the last few months.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_actuary wrote:
Has anyone managed to use wayland with screen sharing apps like jitsi/zoom/teams?

net-im/teams can't share screen because it is based on a very old version of chrome.
I run teams directly in a modern browser www-client/google-chrome, screen sharing works via gui-libs/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr. Some additional configuration is required
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#WebRTC_screen_sharing for those wondering about screen sharing.

Note: pipewire is also a WIP *shrugs*
g-virus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v heard enough how Wayland is good and today I have attempted to install Sway to try.

What can I tell now...

1. Even you try to use a pure Wayland environment, some dependencies like gtk+ pull tons of libX* with it.
  2. Even you want to install a very minimal Wayland environment, you will have to invite its friends even you don't want: Rust and Vala. You can't avoid Rust in your system since at least alacritty and greetd depend on it, otherwise it becomes not a pure Wayland environment if you use Xorg-based terminal emulators/DMs.
  3. If you decided to buy an NVIDIA GPU instead of an AMD toaster, say goodbye to either performance or ability to just start up: Sway won't start with your proprietary nvidia-drivers (only Nouveau), instead it will suggest you to launch Sway with an argument --my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia, and afterwards it will NOT start yet because you don't want a glitchy s*** and have disabled Nouveau in your kernel =) (it tries to load nouveau shared library)
  4. And finally, when you decide to switch back to Xorg you will have to clean up all the garbage Wayland has left.

Maybe in other compositors the situation is different, but since I'm an i3wm user I didn't try others and not going to.
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spica wrote:
I run teams directly in a modern browser www-client/google-chrome, screen sharing works via gui-libs/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr. Some additional configuration is required

Anon-E-moose wrote:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#WebRTC_screen_sharing for those wondering about screen sharing.

Note: pipewire is also a WIP *shrugs*

Very insightful, lemme try this. Thanks spica and Anon-E-moose.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_actuary wrote:

Enabling screencast can take some time, because default logs are not informative. I use wayfire and here's a short howto with examples which will help to get screencast working:
1. Add "screencast" to global USE, reemerge world if needed, enable chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer

2. export XDG_SESSION_TYPE XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP RTC_USE_PIPEWIRE before starting wayland compositor
This is how I start wayfire for reference:
Code:
function start_wayfire {

# easier to debug if log is separated
    exec > /tmp/wayfire.log
    exec 2>&1

export XCURSOR_SIZE=48
    export GDK_BACKEND=wayland
    export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
    export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=sway
    export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
    export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
    export RTC_USE_PIPEWIRE=true

# turn audio off by default
    pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ 1
    pactl set-source-mute @DEFAULT_SOURCE@ 1

# path to my experimental plugins
    export WAYFIRE_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/local/lib64/wayfire"
    exec /usr/bin/env dbus-run-session -- /usr/bin/wayfire
}

3. After wayland compositor is started, dbus environment needs to be updated with WAYLAND_DISPLAY + need to start pipewire
Example from .config/wayfire.ini (dbus command is for OpenRC, for systemd it is different):
Code:
[autostart]
a1 = pipewire
a2 = dbus-update-activation-environment WAYLAND_DISPLAY

4. Need to configure .config/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr/config, see docs page for available options, this works for me:
Code:
[screencast]
output_name=eDP-1
max_fps=30
exec_before=disable_notifications.sh
exec_after=enable_notifications.sh
chooser_type=dmenu
chooser_cmd=wofi -d
chooser is needed because it will ask which screen to share.
disable_notifications.sh is just a simple script which pauses notification daemon so private messages do not appear on the shared screen, this is example if notification daemon is dunst
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

dunstctl set-paused true

It is a bit hard to debug if this config has errors or, for example, exec_before is not writable or absent, or chooser is not available, it silently does not work in this case, see p.7 where to increase logging level for debugging

5. How to test if screen sharing works
Code:
google-chrome-stable   --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html

6. How to run teams in browser (Hint: you can also create a .desktop file):
Code:
google-chrome-stable  --app=https://teams.microsoft.com --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
How to test in browser: Calendar –> Meet Now - create a meeting where you are the only participant

7. If screencast does not work and logs are not informative, hint for debugging: add proper flags which increase verbosity, use tee to divert logs into a separate file if needed /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop.service and /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.wlr.service. See /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal -h and /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr -h

--
I hope this will be helpful for all who try to get screencast working in google-chrome because I have not seen good config examples (for OpenRC users) in the wild and I had to debug a lot
p.s. this howto is not applicable for gnome
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spica wrote:
the_actuary wrote:

Enabling screencast can take some time, because default logs are not informative. I use wayfire and here's a short howto with examples which will help to get screencast working:
1. Add "screencast" to global USE, reemerge world if needed, enable chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer

2. export XDG_SESSION_TYPE XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP RTC_USE_PIPEWIRE before starting wayland compositor
This is how I start wayfire for reference:
Code:
function start_wayfire {

# easier to debug if log is separated
    exec > /tmp/wayfire.log
    exec 2>&1

export XCURSOR_SIZE=48
    export GDK_BACKEND=wayland
    export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
    export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=sway
    export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
    export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
    export RTC_USE_PIPEWIRE=true

# turn audio off by default
    pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ 1
    pactl set-source-mute @DEFAULT_SOURCE@ 1

# path to my experimental plugins
    export WAYFIRE_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/local/lib64/wayfire"
    exec /usr/bin/env dbus-run-session -- /usr/bin/wayfire
}

3. After wayland compositor is started, dbus environment needs to be updated with WAYLAND_DISPLAY + need to start pipewire
Example from .config/wayfire.ini (dbus command is for OpenRC, for systemd it is different):
Code:
[autostart]
a1 = pipewire
a2 = dbus-update-activation-environment WAYLAND_DISPLAY

4. Need to configure .config/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr/config, see docs page for available options, this works for me:
Code:
[screencast]
output_name=eDP-1
max_fps=30
exec_before=disable_notifications.sh
exec_after=enable_notifications.sh
chooser_type=dmenu
chooser_cmd=wofi -d
chooser is needed because it will ask which screen to share.
disable_notifications.sh is just a simple script which pauses notification daemon so private messages do not appear on the shared screen, this is example if notification daemon is dunst
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

dunstctl set-paused true

It is a bit hard to debug if this config has errors or, for example, exec_before is not writable or absent, or chooser is not available, it silently does not work in this case, see p.7 where to increase logging level for debugging

5. How to test if screen sharing works
Code:
google-chrome-stable   --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html

6. How to run teams in browser (Hint: you can also create a .desktop file):
Code:
google-chrome-stable  --app=https://teams.microsoft.com --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
How to test in browser: Calendar –> Meet Now - create a meeting where you are the only participant

7. If screencast does not work and logs are not informative, hint for debugging: add proper flags which increase verbosity, use tee to divert logs into a separate file if needed /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop.service and /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.wlr.service. See /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal -h and /usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr -h

--
I hope this will be helpful for all who try to get screencast working in google-chrome because I have not seen good config examples (for OpenRC users) in the wild and I had to debug a lot
p.s. this howto is not applicable for gnome

Really appreciate the detailed post, spica! Will try it out this weekend. This deserves a separate thread in documentation, tips and tricks since it will save a lot of users time.
g-virus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVIDIA has pushed a driver update 495.44, which works with Sway out of the box with the latest mesa even it still complains you have a devil touched gpu. But there is a new problem - no hardware cursor, and it can't launch alacritty for some reason
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g-virus wrote:
it can't launch alacritty for some reason
Just a suggestion to try these terminal emulators which do not require Rust and are known to work with wayland:
gui-apps/foot <-- I prefer this one but this is a question of a taste
x11-terms/kitty
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: