Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh,

I need to retest then. My MFP M479fdw seems to work. Fol printing anyway.
I never got it to scan with SANE, so I scan to USB stick or to its web server.
I've never tried the fax :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spica wrote:
Those entries are not a list of dependencies to be downloaded, but a hint for Portage which files need checksum verification.

Yep, and none are in the mirrors - so for each of them it times out on each mirror in your list before finally going for the source uri.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjb wrote:
Yep, and none are in the mirrors - so for each of them it times out on each mirror in your list before finally going for the source uri.

I beleive you can fix that by adding "RESTRICT="mirror"" to the ebuild. Long ago it was "nomirror" which made more sense to me.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of necessity of avoidance:
  1. polkit. (Security reasons)
  2. udisks. (Security reasons; hard dependency on polkit)
  3. pulseaudio (though I am forced to the protocol by discord-bin; using pipewire as a bearable substitute) and related:
  4. alsa-plugin[pulseaudio]: Why on hell should I put a perfectly working alsa tool into pulseaudio which eventually sends to alsa after some delay - if I am lucky. (Unfortunately, I have to maintain my own pipewire ebuild to get rid of this unsane dependency).
  5. avahi (security reasons)
  6. nss-mdns (security reasons)
  7. acl, attr because some root programs do something to your filesystem without your knowlege. Unfortunately, this is practically unavoidable, and I have myself written some root scripts using it, since for wayland there does not seem to be another way.
  8. pam (security reasons). Unfortunately, I found no way to avoid it with wayland, but I have the useflag only enabled where unavoidable
  9. gconf, gnome-vfs. Unnecessary bloat, storing things in your ~ which you do not want to have stored.
  10. liblastfm (spy service)
  11. mariadb, mysql, postgresql (this has nothing lost on a desktop unless you really use a database for business reasons or happen to develop for it)
  12. corefonts (license reasons). package.provided is your friend
  13. two different icon themes or any fonts beyond those needed for texlive - unnecessary bloat
Note that systemd is not on the list, since I like to have it as an alternative init-system. Without polkit it is probably not so catastrophic, security-wise, although I would not use it on a regular basis for security reasons. Of course, I do not use its dhcp-and-other-net-badly-rebuilt-because-NIH.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list is much like some of yours. Lately, I don't want >=pango-1.44, because I've long been very satisfied with a particular combination of settings that I first found back in 2004-2005. Now it's cancelled, perhaps temporarily, perhaps not. Pango has funny ideas of the meaning of "maintenance mode" and Harfbuzz may or may not be inclined to compensate. I'm still thinking about what I could and should do about it.
Comrade_Stalin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know, the usual bloat. Full Desktop environments, systemd, gnome apps, electron, anything that takes more than twn minites to compile on my 12 thread CPU.

Also, this is my first post on the forum. Greetings, Comrades.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrade_Stalin wrote:
Oh you know, the usual bloat. Full Desktop environments, systemd, gnome apps, electron, anything that takes more than twn minites to compile on my 12 thread CPU.

Also, this is my first post on the forum. Greetings, Comrades.

Welcome to Gentoo. What electron?
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
What electron?
This, I assume.
Wikipedia wrote:
It allows for the development of desktop GUI applications using web technologies: it combines the Chromium rendering engine and the Node.js runtime.
  • Wanna run separate Chromium processes for simple web programs?
  • Too much ram? Or don't want to utilize it as a disk cache?
If you answered yes to both, then Electron is the answer!

I'm using Signal Electron. Waiting for the day I can have an alternative client...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
kukibl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I avoid much ...

Whole Systemd drama passed me by, because I was off Linux at the time it appeared and most of major distros switched to it. I use OpenRC exclusively because I know it well enough (better than systemd in any case).

I do not use binary packages in general, where the choice between source-based and binary one exists. The only exception is Gentoo's dist kernel, which I primary used as fallback at the beginning (and for debugging purposes), but became too lazy (or simply and completely out of spare time) to maintain my own kernel in the meantime.

I do avoid Chromium(s) and WebKit(s), except Vivaldi which is my fallback browser. The same applies to Electron and JavaScript/Node software in general.

All the other usual bloat I do use. Either I do not have or know the reasons why should I avoid it or even if I did - I'm not sure if I would be willing to invest my time in finding the ways to avoid it.

However, I do keep my world file minimal and carefully pick all the USE flags, globally and locally.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only try to avoid binary packages but even those... if it has to be used, it has to be used.

That being said, I still use libreoffice-bin because it doesn't seem to play nicely with dependencies...
the_actuary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNOME. Having tried to use it for a few months and desperately tried to like it, I've realized it's an abomination ... the very thing from which evil gets its shape and form. The stupid thing is not decently customizable, crashes, breaks extensions that try to customize it with every release and wrecks havoc all over the place. I've used XFCE, Cinnamon & KDE and have nice things to say about them. GNOME, I have nothing but absolute hatred. It's beyond me how major distros use this as the default DE or maybe that's why Linux is hated so much in the lay user space.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtx wrote:
it's cancelled

Man that thread is a sad read:
Quote:
Exactly. That's what we decided not to support anymore. You can try to get used to the "blurry" rendering. Or you can find something else to use, or whatever. You are using Free Software you realize, right?

It's just a shitty attitude to have and I wasn't surprised to see Matthias Clasen is involved, he's done a lot of good work but he can be quite brutal about forcing his way or the highway.

Anyway on-topic I always avoid KDE/Qt (Unless I'm running a KDE system) - I have nothing against either but on source based you pull in so much **** and waste time building huge packages for say one application, on a binary distro the deps can pull in a load of crap I simply view as not needing.[/quote]
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not particular avoid any packages, but I do try to keep my system tidy. Which means avoiding duplication if possible. Namely, being with KDE, I try to avoid anything gnome related, using openrc - anything systemd-ish, etc.
I disklike, to the point of try to avoid, packages that require with them customary build systems (such as rust).

The one thing I really would like to disappear is polkit.

But I find that among applications (as opposite to the system) that I use everyday, more and more are binaries - zoom, skypeforlinux, vivaldi, firefox-bin. Perhaps surprisingly, libreoffice I still compile.
And the difference being, many of them are on fast rolling release schedule, with updates appearing almost weekly. With their compilation requirements on not so new machines, it becomes impractical.
Libreoffice, though, gets updated rarely enough
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: