Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y351 wrote:
Hi,

Following this https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Toolchain/libcrypt_implementation,
after migrating, is it sur to remove this ? :

/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

Code:

# Needed for the right masks to kick in, we revbumped for the migration
# NOTE: Remember to drop this once the migration is done as a stable user
=sys-libs/glibc-2.33-r5
>=sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.24

Please keep it if you're on stable (as you did it manually) until the transition happens for stable users.
y351
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Hi,

Please keep it if you're on stable (as you did it manually) until the transition happens for stable users.

Hi,
Do you know whether there will be any update on the News item for the stable user ?
drarkanex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how it can be reproduced every single time. I've installed Gentoo 3 times over the course of 3 days now, and every single time I switch from amd64 to ~amd64, i get this problem.

libxcrypt finishes compiling and during the install phase, won't install because of file collision.

it can be replicated simply by installing gentoo with amd64, rebooting, and then switching to ~amd64 and running a @world update
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
tld wrote:
Is there any idea as to when the glibc/libcrypt change might go stable...or some way I can look for some advanced warning on that? I'm running stable on my machines, and if possible I'd like to have my machines synced and updated fairly close to that, but before it happens. I'm not sure how important that actually is. I updated last week, and I'd imagine that news item may mostly be warning against having some massive number of unrelated updates at the same time.

Also, my two MythTV systems as 32-bit. Will that fixed util-linux 2.37 be marked as stable before then? Thanks in advance!

Tom

Hi!

It should be a month (possibly slightly more) from today. I'll try to remember to update this thread with the stable bug when it's filed, but it'll be filed as a blocker on the tracker (so if you add yourself to the CC list on that bug, you'll get an email when it's filed).

Yeah, we'll make sure to stable the fixed util-linux before then, or backport the patches to 2.36.
I see that the stabilization of this one was obviously delayed (almost a month past the above estimate). Just curious as to any idea on where that stands now. Looking at the stabilization bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/809410) I take it that it's been delayed by this rather scary sounding bug(?):

https://bugs.gentoo.org/811462

Thanks!
Tom
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At https://gpo.zugaina.org/RepNews/180
is a big warning about an issue with old passwords when updating glibc with libxcrypt as seperate.

Isn't it only if
Code:
# [ "${USER}" = "root" ] &&grep -e'\:\$.\$' /etc/shadow ||echo "only shows as root"

gets some lines which have ":$1$"
Code:
USERNAME:$1$....
??

I am asking because I found on an old webpage (too old the info?)
Code:

$1$  md5
$2$ Blowfish
$5$ SHA-256
$6$ SHA-512
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migrated yesterday on stable because of portage news
Code:
2021-10-18-libxcrypt-migration-stable
norification.
Had to proceed with
Code:
 emerge -v1 "~virtual/libcrypt-2" --autounmask=n --usepkg=n
to trigger updates.
Within the process net-misc/openssh-8.6_p1-r2 requires USE=ssl had to be applied here.

Hoping portage files maintenance procedure will be provided if required once new configuration has been integrated in stable.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that most recent news item which says this will go stable on 11/1. I plan on making sure I get everything updated shortly before that.

I also see that gcc 11.2 just recently went stable. I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to whether I should switch to that before or after the libxcrypt change. Not sure if there's any additional risk one way or the other(?). Thanks in advance.

Tom
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libxcrypt change first, my 2 €ts...
Thks 4 ur attenion, interest & support.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
libxcrypt change first, my 2 €ts...
Thks 4 ur attenion, interest & support.
That was my inclination as well....better to avoid things compiled with different versions etc. Thanks!
Tom
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I also see that gcc 11.2 just recently went stable. I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to whether I should switch to that before or after the libxcrypt change

If you do your weekly update of @world you will have gcc-11.2. I did it (as always) and switched to it (as always). No problems so far. I expect no problems when the 1. november comes ... (because I a have a simple stable system and its uptodate). I dont believe our developers would have set gcc-11.2 as stable if there could be problems with libxcrypt. So my choice is: Switch now.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention with password
ulenrich wrote:
only if
Code:
 [ "${USER}" = "root" ] &&grep -e'\:\$.\$' /etc/shadow ||echo "only shows as root"

gets some lines which have ":$1$"

I only got one very old not used user with an ":$1$" md5 password. So I moved on and made the change with pretty much unmasking as described in the NEWS. All got through. At the end also recompiling of dev-lang/python. Which is a wonder work our developers did for us.
Thanx. Very thanks
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a bad one.

First update everything except glibc/libxcrypt bits. Then update attempt for glibc/libxcrypt - failed with aforementioned file collisions. Another glibc rebuild removed libcrypt.so and left a broken system behind; emerge libxcrypt failed at configure stage because perl needs - libcrypt.so!
I had to download stage3 and extract libcrypt.so to continue with libxcrypt installation.

And I thought after reading the news item I was well covered ...

Code:

~ # emerge --info |grep collision-protect
~ #
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has already become an absolute nightmare.

The glibc update installed without any problems, but then:

Code:

* Final size of build directory: 7580 KiB (7.4 MiB)
 * Final size of installed tree:   856 KiB

strip: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded -N __gentoo_check_ldflags__ -R .comment -R .GCC.command.line -R .note.gnu.gold-version
   /lib64/libcrypt.so.1.1.0
   /usr/lib64/libcrypt.a
   /lib64/libcrypt.so.2.0.0

>>> Installing (2 of 12) sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25::gentoo
 * checking 28 files for package collisions
 * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
 * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
 * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
 * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
 * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
 * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
 * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
 * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
 * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
 * a bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/ unless you report exactly
 * which two packages install the same file(s). See
 * https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Blockers for tips on how
 * to solve the problem. And once again, please do NOT file a bug report
 * unless you have completely understood the above message.
 * Detected file collision(s):
 *      /usr/include/crypt.h
 *      /lib64/libcrypt.so.1
 * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
 * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
 * sys-libs/glibc-2.33-r7:2.2::gentoo
 *      /lib64/libcrypt.so.1
 * Package 'sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25' NOT merged due to file collisions.
 * If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole content of the
 * above message.

>>> Failed to install sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25, Log file:

>>>  '/var/log/portage/sys-libs:libxcrypt-4.4.25:20211104-112245.log'

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

The remainder of the packages:

Code:

# emerge -1p libcrypt

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25:0/1::gentoo  USE="(compat) (split-usr) static-libs (system) -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  r  U  ] virtual/libcrypt-2:0/2::gentoo [1-r1:0/1::gentoo] USE="static-libs (-abi_riscv_lp64%) (-abi_riscv_lp64d%)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.37.2-r1::gentoo  USE="caps cryptsetup hardlink logger ncurses nls readline (split-usr) static-libs test udev (unicode) -audit -build -cramfs -fdformat -kill -magic -pam -python (-selinux) -slang -su -suid -systemd -tty-helpers" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9 -python3_8" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-apps/shadow-4.9-r3::gentoo  USE="nls (split-usr) su xattr -acl -audit -bcrypt -cracklib -pam (-selinux) -skey" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-lang/perl-5.34.0-r3:0/5.34::gentoo  USE="-berkdb -debug -doc -gdbm -ithreads -minimal" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-print/cups-2.3.3_p2-r2::gentoo  USE="X dbus ssl threads usb -acl -debug -kerberos -pam (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd -zeroconf" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] app-misc/screen-4.8.0-r3::gentoo  USE="-debug -multiuser -nethack -pam (-selinux)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-fs/eudev-3.2.10-r1::gentoo  USE="hwdb kmod static-libs -introspection -rule-generator (-selinux) -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-lang/python-3.9.7_p1:3.9::gentoo  USE="ncurses readline ssl test xml -bluetooth -build -examples -gdbm -hardened -sqlite -tk -verify-sig -wininst" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-misc/openssh-8.6_p1-r2::gentoo  USE="X pie scp security-key ssl test -X509 -audit -bindist (-debug) -hpn -kerberos -ldns -libedit -livecd -pam -sctp (-selinux) -static -xmss" 0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-misc/whois-5.5.10-r1::gentoo  USE="iconv nls -idn -xcrypt" 0 KiB

Total: 11 packages (1 upgrade, 1 new, 9 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(virtual/libcrypt-2:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (sys-apps/util-linux-2.37.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-lang/perl-5.34.0-r3:0/5.34::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (net-print/cups-2.3.3_p2-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (sys-fs/eudev-3.2.10-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (net-misc/whois-5.5.10-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (app-misc/screen-4.8.0-r3:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (sys-apps/shadow-4.9-r3:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (net-misc/openssh-8.6_p1-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-lang/python-3.9.7_p1:3.9/3.9::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Code:

# emerge -p --info
Portage 3.0.28 (python 3.9.7-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib, gcc-11.2.0, glibc-2.33-r7, 5.10.52-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-5.10.52-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-3470_CPU_@_3.20GHz-with-glibc2.33
KiB Mem:    16287268 total,   3813424 free
KiB Swap:          0 total,         0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 09:00:02 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 3c3a4e89e56518f4edf1305fc408133da8b05598

sh bash 5.1_p8
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.37_p1 p0) 2.37
app-shells/bash:          5.1_p8::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.34.0-r3::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          3.9.7_p1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.20.5::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.7::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.44.7::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.25::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.71-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.16.4::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.37_p1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            11.2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     2.4::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.3::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 5.10::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.33-r7::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 28

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=ivybridge -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mavx -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mrdrnd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mxsave -mxsaveopt --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=ivybridge -fstack-protector-strong -mfpmath=sse"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=ivybridge -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mavx -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mrdrnd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mxsave -mxsaveopt --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=ivybridge -fstack-protector-strong -mfpmath=sse"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=ivybridge -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mavx -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mrdrnd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mxsave -mxsaveopt --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=ivybridge -fstack-protector-strong -mfpmath=sse"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news pid-sandbox protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict test test-fail-continue unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -march=ivybridge -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mavx -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mrdrnd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mxsave -mxsaveopt --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=ivybridge -fstack-protector-strong -mfpmath=sse"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j4 --load-average=4"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="10bit 64bit 8bit R X a52 aac aalib acoustid acpi additions adobe-cff aio alsa amd64 ap arcade arping asf asm audio audiofile avcodec avformat blake2 blksha1 bookmarks bwscheduler bzip2 cacert cairo caps cdda cdio cdr chm chromaprint chromium chroot classic cli client clock-panel-plugin cpumining crypt cryptsetup css cups daemon dav1d dbus desktop-utils device-mapper dga directfb display-manager djvu downloadorder dri dri3 drm drop-root dvbpsi dvd dvdnav dvdr e2e ebook egl eigen encode epub espeak exceptions exif expat extra extra-filters fast-redirects fbcon fdt ffmpeg file-transfer filecaps flac fluidsynth fontconfig force fortran gallium gbm gcj gd ggi gif glass glib glibc-omitfp globalcfg gmp gpm gsm handbook hardcoded-tables hardlink harfbuzz hddtemp hpcups hpn hunspell iconv icu idea image-blocking imap imlib infowidget inotify iostats ipc ipfilter iptables ipv6 javafx jbig jit joystick jpeg jpeg2k jsbsim kdcraw kmod lame lcms less libass libglvnd libinput libkms libmpv libsamplerate libtirpc libwww live lm_sensors logger logviewer luajittex lzma mad matroska mbox mdns-bundled memlimit mesh midi mime minizip mmx mmxext mouse mp3 mp4 mpeg mta nas native-extensions native-symlinks ncurses net netifrc network nls no-old-linux nodrm npm nptl ntfsprogs ntp ocamlopt offlinehelp ofx ogg okular omemo opengl openmedia openmp openssl opus osdmenu p2p pango pch pcre pcre16 pdf pie pin-upstream-blobs pkg-config pm-utils png portmon postproc private-home ps qml quotes raptor readline real recursion-limit redland rsync-verify rtc rtmp savedconfig scanfolder scanner scp scrypt sdl search seccomp secure-delete security-key sensord shared-glapi shm silc slirp slit smbclient smtp snapshot sndfile sound speex spell spice split-usr sse sse2 sse2_4way sse2check sse4 ssl ssse3 standalone stats svc svg swscale sysfs system-icu systray taglib tcmalloc tcpd test theora thin threads threadsafe tiff tinfo tls-heartbeat toolbar truetype udev unicode upower urandom usb usbredir userlocales userns utils uvm v4l2 vaapi vainfo vdpau vhost-net vhost-user-fs video vorbis vtv vulkan wav webdav-neon webp wg-quick whitelist widgets x264 x265 xattr xcb xinerama xkb xml xmp xscreensaver xslt xv xvfb xvid zlib zrtp zstd" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2019" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="sheets stage words" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx f16c mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" L10N="en-US" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-3 php7-4" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres12 postgres13" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_9" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby27" SANE_BACKENDS="hp" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RUSTFLAGS

I saw similar complaints in bugzilla, but no answers other than "file a new bug" (which no one has done yet that I know of).

Last edited by curmudgeon on Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second system I updated ran into the same problem. This worked: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1144560.html. Tomorrow I'll tackle system number three.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrade guide wrote:
This will be a regular update, and in nearly all cases you
will not have to take any action and not observe any problems.

Only a two month old mostly stable system, trying to fight through this for the first machine now... so much for "not observing any problems"... ugh. need to stare at this for a while but just wanted to vent a bit...

---

Fix apparently was to manually merge sys-libs/libxcrypt manually after the merge fails. So far so good.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System number three also worked as per the link I posted.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what a disaster this has become. I tried re-emerging glibc, because a developer said they had fixed the problem. Now, the ebuild can't find perl:

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 11) sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25::gentoo
 * libxcrypt-4.4.25-autotools.tar.xz BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                                             [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking libxcrypt-4.4.25-autotools.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25 ...
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25 ...
 * xcrypt_compat: running multilib-minimal_src_configure
 * abi_x86_64.amd64: running multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
 * econf: updating libxcrypt-4.4.25/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
 * econf: updating libxcrypt-4.4.25/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating libxcrypt-4.4.25/build-aux/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
 * econf: updating libxcrypt-4.4.25/build-aux/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25/configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/libxcrypt-4.4.25 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/libxcrypt-4.4.25/html --with-sysroot=/ --disable-werror --libdir=/lib64/ --with-pkgconfigdir=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig --includedir=/usr/include/ --disable-static --disable-xcrypt-compat-files --enable-obsolete-api=yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/lib/portage/python3.9/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a race-free mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether the compiler supports GNU C... yes
checking whether x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc option to enable C11 features... none needed
checking whether x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking whether make supports the include directive... yes (GNU style)
checking dependency style of x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... none
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config... /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -E
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking whether /usr/bin/perl is version 5.14.0 or later... no
configure: error: Perl version 5.14.0 or later is required

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25-xcrypt_compat-abi_x86_64.amd64/config.log
 * ERROR: sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  127:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 2563:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant 'multilib-minimal_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 1464:  Called _multibuild_run 'multilib-minimal_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 1462:  Called multilib-minimal_src_configure
 *             environment, line 1534:  Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 1787:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 1464:  Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 1462:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line  394:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
 *             environment, line 1528:  Called multilib_src_configure
 *             environment, line 2011:  Called econf '--disable-werror' '--libdir=/lib64/' '--with-pkgconfigdir=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig' '--includedir=/usr/include/' '--disable-static' '--disable-xcrypt-compat-files' '--enable-obsolete-api=yes'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line  711:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  112:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/sys-libs:libxcrypt-4.4.25:20211106-170209.log'.
 * For convenience, a symlink to the build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25-xcrypt_compat-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25/work/libxcrypt-4.4.25'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-libs/libxcrypt-4.4.25, Log file:

>>>  '/var/log/portage/sys-libs:libxcrypt-4.4.25:20211106-170209.log'
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the exact same problem I ran into with system number one. I worked around it by downloading the stage3 tarball and extracting libcrypt.so.* into my system to get things going again. For system number two, I had made a backup copy of those libs.
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three out of four worked for me. Grateful for this thread - I anticipated possibly having to boot into rescue and needed to for #4. No libcrypt, and perl not functional so impossible to emerge libxcrypt. Boot into rescue, copy the backup libcrypt, and emerge libxcrypt from chroot. Not sure exactly why this system failed to get through the glibc and libxcrypt transition.

I'll chalk it up to operator error - trusting `emerge -uDN @world` instead of isolating the glibc / libxcrypt updates. Although, trusting `emerge -uDN @world` did work on the other 3 machines.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the procedure for migrating glibc[crypt] to libxcrypt still an issue? A couple of days ago I synced both my laptops (Stable on one; Testing on the other) and both upgraded successfully. Does a new note need to be added to the Wiki article?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEATURES=-preserve-libs
is probably not helpful for this migration.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt for the libxcrypt transition succeeded. Although watching shakenly until the last merge ended, because I knew that in case of an error out in the middle of the process .... I would have been lost.
And since ever after I wonder how the Gentoo developers got this right for the transition of my Gentoo installation. But watching the mess for others here in this thread I cannot believe, why the hell there is no more robust way, a more phased transition with having the needed binaries staticly bound the crypt functionality. ... Of course such a phased procedure would have produced much more compiling time.
Or another idea: A transition where the needed binaries don't get installed at first but ony binpkg's are produced?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm surprised this issue was hidden from us for so long, then again sometimes wish it was rip the bandage off kind of deal.

This indeed would have been a disaster if it wasn't cleaned up correctly, and I'm not talking of the merge failures. The dependencies needed to be recompiled and would have been mostly dead in the water if crypt suddenly disappeared from glibc.

Thanks to the Gentoo devs for keeping this up for so long and relatively painless update even if it had a hiccup. It could have been much worse (programs suddenly stop working when glibc changes underneath) especially if something else failed to build.

Then again if I had some binaries that couldn't be recompiled to link against libxcrypt, those would need to run in a chroot... like other stuff...

(Ugh I still have one machine that hasn't gone through the 17.1 migration, I need to do that soon!!!)

---

Had another machine go through the update. It gave a very weird block that did not seem to autoresolve in a world update, but was resolved by merging libxcrypt separately... this does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, seems dev-libs/boost will include crypt.h so it looks like there should be a dependency on virtual/libcrypt for boost?
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
BTW, seems dev-libs/boost will include crypt.h so it looks like there should be a dependency on virtual/libcrypt for boost?

Where do you see this? I don't see it for 1.78.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: