[solved] llvm rR ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: [solved] llvm rR ? Reply with quote

Recently llvm (11, 12, 13) on ~arm64 wants to be rebuilt, repeatedly. What is going on?

python 3.9 and 3.10, glib 2.7, gobject-introspection, and p11-kit also are rebuilding.

It's the rR output. The man page indicates it is due to slots changing. There is no message indicating what is causing the rebuilds, I thought I remembered seeing that message when there were rebuilds, but not here.

Last edited by flysideways on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have noted at the end of emerge output

"this and that package are causing rebuilds"

"rR" maybe caused from new USE or dependency updates.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it, the message is not there.

Code:
 emerge --quiet -avuDN --with-bdeps=y @world
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-lang/python-3.9.7_p1  USE="bluetooth gdbm ncurses readline sqlite ssl xml -build -examples (-hardened) -test -tk -verify-sig -wininst"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-lang/python-3.10.0_p1  USE="bluetooth gdbm ncurses readline sqlite ssl xml -build -examples (-hardened) -test -tk -verify-sig -wininst"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-libs/glib-2.70.0  USE="dbus elf (mime) xattr -debug -fam -gtk-doc (-selinux) -static-libs (-sysprof) -systemtap -test -utils"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.70.0  USE="-doctool -gtk-doc -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_9 -python3_8 -python3_10"
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/iputils-20210722-r1 [20210722] USE="arping filecaps ipv6 nls ssl -caps -clockdiff -doc -gcrypt -idn -nettle -rarpd -rdisc -static -test -tftpd -tracepath -traceroute6"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-12.0.1  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR (-CSKY) -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-13.0.0  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR (-CSKY) -Hexagon -Lanai (-M68k) -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-11.1.0  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/debianutils-5.5 [5.4] USE="installkernel -static"
[ebuild  rR   ] app-crypt/p11-kit-0.24.0  USE="asn1 libffi trust -debug -systemd"
[ebuild     U ] dev-python/setuptools-58.2.0 [57.5.0] USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9 -pypy3 -python3_8 -python3_10"
[ebuild     U ] dev-python/idna-3.3 [3.2] PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_9 -pypy3 -python3_8 -python3_10"
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/openrc-0.44.6-r1 [0.44.6] USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode (-audit) -bash -debug -newnet (-selinux) -sysv-utils"

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Running pre-merge checks for dev-lang/python-3.9.7_p1
>>> Running pre-merge checks for dev-lang/python-3.10.0_p1

It's a curiosity for me. I can look for the dependencies later, when I have the time.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing equery depends on the updated packages yields nothing, as does equery depgraph on the rR packages. After the update, the box still wants to do the rebuilds.

Code:
emerge --quiet -pvuDN @world
[ebuild  rR   ] app-crypt/p11-kit-0.24.0  USE="asn1 libffi trust -debug -systemd"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-lang/python-3.9.7_p1  USE="bluetooth gdbm ncurses readline sqlite ssl xml -build -examples (-hardened) -test -tk -verify-sig -wininst"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-lang/python-3.10.0_p1  USE="bluetooth gdbm ncurses readline sqlite ssl xml -build -examples (-hardened) -test -tk -verify-sig -wininst"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-libs/glib-2.70.0  USE="dbus elf (mime) xattr -debug -fam -gtk-doc (-selinux) -static-libs (-sysprof) -systemtap -test -utils"
[ebuild  rR   ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.70.0  USE="-doctool -gtk-doc -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_9 -python3_8 -python3_10"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-12.0.1  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR (-CSKY) -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-13.0.0  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR (-CSKY) -Hexagon -Lanai (-M68k) -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"
[ebuild  rR   ] sys-devel/llvm-11.1.0  USE="libffi ncurses xml -debug -doc -exegesis -gold -libedit -test -xar -z3" LLVM_TARGETS="(AArch64) BPF -AMDGPU (-ARC) -ARM -AVR -Hexagon -Lanai -MSP430 -Mips -NVPTX -PowerPC -RISCV -Sparc -SystemZ (-VE) -WebAssembly -X86 -XCore"

Any ideas?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a slot has already been changed, and LLVM and friends should have been updated then, but were not, so this is a delayed update, and that is why no package is cited as a cause? That would not explain why they keep rebuilding if you allow Portage to do them once, though.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:

Code:

If you want Portage to tell you more about the need to reinstall, using --quiet is probably not a good idea.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
flysideways wrote:

Code:

If you want Portage to tell you more about the need to reinstall, using --quiet is probably not a good idea.

DOH! Thanks, I don't know why I was thinking that it still mentioned blocks and rebuilds while using --quiet. The Pi has gotten me in the habit of using quiet during the emerge to see the progress without genlop, and the load average. I'll be doing a -vp, then a quiet emerge in the future.

It looks like I fixed the problem. I had firefox masked at 78.6.0, since, I can't remember. It was to stay on the ESR version while otherwise being ~arch. Now it's masked to the current, in the tree. ESR. It let go of the llvm-11.0, and is rebuilding a bunch of others that were being kept due to the old firefox, along with updating three that were being kept back. I'll know in a while, a long while.

My ~amd64 ryzen desktop was masked at 78.11.0, it too is now current. It had yet to develop the nastiness.

I would like someone to chime in as to how they deal with keeping firefox-esr on and otherwise ~arch install. Maybe there is some better way other than what I am doing.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Gentoo maintainers only mark ESR series as stable, and keep non-ESR as testing. If so, then it should be sufficient to set Portage to only accept stable-keyworded www-client/firefox.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hu. Of course it is that easy. Once and done.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: