View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Tor Browser randomly not using correct GTK theme and mouse c Reply with quote

It started to happen recently. When I start my system or logout/login, maybe two times out of five, Tor Browser is not using my GTK theme, including the cursor theme. I'm using KDE Plasma 5.23 (it also occurred before on 5.22.5). The rest of the time, it uses my custom theme/mouse cursor.

What I've tried so far, to no avail:

- Switching to another theme in System Settings > Appearance > Application Style > Configure GNOME/GTK Application Style... and switching back to my custom theme, which is Monochrome KDE. While this fixes the issue for the current session, it comes back (again, every now and then) after a reboot or a logout.
- Deleting:
Code:
~/.cache
~/.gtkrc-2.0
~/.config/gtk-3.0
~/.config/gtkrc
~/.config/gtkrc-2.0

- Creating a new user with an empty $HOME: the issue also occurs inconsistently after a few logout/login

Other GTK programs such as Firefox, GIMP or LibreOffice are always using the correct theme. I have Arch Linux installed on the same machine with an identical setup (KDE Plasma, same theme...) and I'm not having this issue.

Any idea?

Thanks!
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Probably you are using the portable version of tor-browser since it is not available in Gentoo repo.
Suppose you have unpacked it in your home dir.
Then force it to use the theme of your liking by
Code:

cd ~/tor-browser_en-US
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark ./start-tor-browser.desktop   ### OR
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark XCURSOR_THEME=Adwaita ./start-tor-browser.desktop

If it works--and apparently it does -- you may wish to edit your desktop launcher if you have created one,or write a simple script to start the browser.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Probably you are using the portable version of tor-browser since it is not available in Gentoo repo.

Yes, I'm using www-client/torbrowser-launcher and the program is installed in $HOME/.local/share/torbrowser/.

alamahant wrote:
Suppose you have unpacked it in your home dir.
Then force it to use the theme of your liking by
Code:

cd ~/tor-browser_en-US
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark ./start-tor-browser.desktop   ### OR
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark XCURSOR_THEME=Adwaita ./start-tor-browser.desktop

If it works--and apparently it does -- you may wish to edit your desktop launcher if you have created one,or write a simple script to start the browser.

I knew about this workaround and it works fine indeed, thank you. I never had to do this before and my custom theme / mouse cursor are used 100% of the time on my Arch Install with similar setup. I wonder what happened.

I cannot get the XCURSOR_THEME variable working though, "KDE Classic" is always used no matter which mouse cursor I try (unless Tor Browser uses my GTK settings, once in a while...).

Yet:

Code:

echo $XCURSOR_THEME
Bibata-Modern-Ice

Edit: the XCURSOR_THEME variable works fine for any QT app but doesn't for any GTK app here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: