Switching to Gentoo from Mint
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
complexnumber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Switching to Gentoo from Mint Reply with quote

Hi,

So I'm new, I'm reading the install documentation and some pages off the wiki. I can follow the installation instructions not a problem. I'm rocking a Ryzen 9 3950X system with an nvidia RTX3080Ti for gaming... well I only play Cyberpunk2077 via Steam. I have questions though... I'm nervous about switching because usually when there are Linux options for software they list the major distributions. I need to run Microsoft Teams for TAFE (am from Australia btw), Mega.nz sync client as well as some other bits and pieces.

I'm nervous compiling a custom Kernel, but I want to learn so I suppose I'm going to have to anyway.

So, I'm leaving familiar waters for a journey into the unknown... I suppose I have a lot of reading to do.

Thank you
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to Gentoo from Mint Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo and the gentoo forum.

complexnumber wrote:
I'm nervous compiling a custom Kernel, but I want to learn so I suppose I'm going to have to anyway.

Before to configure your kernel manually you can try sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel or sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin that are already precofigured (the sencond is also precompiled).
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy, with a 3950x the compile times become almost trivial.

When you read the docs, take note of the suggested -j 33 for your processor in make.conf, also when compiling the kernel. That uses all of the available threads.

If you want to keep the system you are currently running, installing dual boot on a separate drive is an option. Most UEFI systems are very easy to select the drive to boot from. If you dual boot, that can be used while you figure out the boot loading method you want to use.

Last edited by flysideways on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. You'll find plenty of help here, and from your intro you are inclined to read and try on your own first.

I made the move from Mandrake many years ago, and what worked for me was to have both systems on the hard drive at the same time, and booting into one or the other. That way there was no serious pressure to get the new system (happened to be Gentoo) working. It took a month or two -- not always working on the transition.
xahodo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, regarding your own kernel; you can always use genkernel. That way, you can first let it build the default kernel and then you can tweak it to your liking.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

complexnumber,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Two pieces of advice.

1. Gentoo is not a distro. The Gentoo repo and and the portage package manager are tools that you use to design and install your very own distro,
Everything else is $UPSTREAM.

2. Build on what you know works. Install a bit, test it. Once it works add to it. That keeps the problem space small for when your very own distro breaks.

3. You don't have to learn to build your own kernel as a part of your initial install. You can add that later. You can and should have several kernels on your boot menu.

Now I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, welcome. You can also build Gentoo in a virtual machine (i.e. VirtualBox ~.vdi) while still using Mint on the desktop. After building a system sufficiently to your liking, backing up regularly as you go), restore the backup to hardware, tweak your settings, i.e. network, fstab, boot manager, and finally boot into it. You can keep your Mint until your sure you no longer want it.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
complexnumber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for making me feel welcome! I'm writing this from my Desktop, I have Cinnamon and Firefox installed with an XFCE4 Terminal.

I need to install VMWare Workstation for School and Steam for Gaming (not as important as Vmware) Where should I start looking on the Forums?

I had a small hiccup during the install. My network adapter is enp6s0 the handbook says when you install to run

Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0

This didn't work for me. I had to configure it using the following

Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.enp6s0

Aside from that the documentation is really apt! I got Xorg up and running and as I mentioned I'm on Cinnamon. I'm guessing there is a section on the forum for asking desktop related questions.

Thank you again!
"If you are new to UNIX, you may be used to clicking something and seeing either an "OK" message, an error, nothing, or (all too often) a pretty blue screen with nifty high-tech letters' explaining exactly where the system crashed" - Michael Lucas
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Welcome to the club.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

complexnumber wrote:
I need to install VMWare Workstation for School and Steam for Gaming (not as important as Vmware) Where should I start looking on the Forums?

I had a small hiccup during the install. My network adapter is enp6s0 the handbook says when you install to run

Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0

First port of call for configuration and package queries is the Gentoo wiki.
When that's not enough, a Google query such as
Code:
site:forums.gentoo.org VMware

will probably be more useful than the forum's built-in search (which nobody uses). The forums are going to be upgraded "real soon now" (TM); probably about the same time as the world gets fusion power :-) . IIUC the new forums should have a better search engine.

Device names such as network adapters are subject to the udev persistent device naming rules, which for most users buy nothing and occasionally turn out not to persist. You can disable them, in which case your network adapter will revert to being /dev/eth0; Alternatively, define the link with net.enp6s0.
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On disabling the persistent network device names, over the years I've run into directions that include custom udev rules as well as instructions that involve a kernel command line parameter (or equivalent using sysctl).

Turns out that a kernel command line parameter is sufficient. net.ifnames=0
nikolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

complexnumber,

Welcome to Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: