View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanley_Johnson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Dump Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to use dump 0.4b47 (using libext2fs 1.46.4 of 18-Aug-2021) on a new installation of Gentoo on a Sparc Ultra 30 workstation. Dump hangs after telling me the approximate size of the backup. It does not open any file for writing, and CPU usage remains near 100%.

I have verified that Debian SID with dump 0.4b47 (using libext2fs 1.46.4 of 18-Aug-2021) works ok. I'm using the same kernel in both Debian and Gentoo:

# uname -a
Linux ultra-30 5.14.0-1-sparc64 #1 Debian 5.14.6-3 (2021-09-28) sparc64 GNU/Linux

I'm running dump as root, attempting to backup a 16 GiB filesystem (that has about 3 GiB of data). The primary disk on the ultra-30 is a 146 GB ST3146807LC.

thanks for any information

-Stan
Stanley_Johnson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the same version of dump is working in Debian on the same filesystem on the same Sparc Ultra 30; it is only failing in Gentoo, so it's likely an issue with one of the Gentoo compile options for dump or one of its required libraries.

In case it helps, I'm using the following syntax for dump:

dump 0sbf 999999 64 file.dmp /dev/sdaN

The /dev/sdaN filesystem is a 16 GiB ext3 partition with approximately 3 GiB used. CPU usage on one of the dump processes stays at about 100% right after the estimated size is given and right before it should start dumping directories.

Perhaps if Gentoo used whatever compile options for dump that Debian uses, it would work, but I don't know how to determine which options Debian is using. I do see that Gentoo has a patch for dump; I'll try compiling without that patch and see if anything changes.

Thanks for any suggesstions.

-Stan
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until something more useful comes along, maybe this will help regarding debian build options?
https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial

This looked promising:
Quote:
Every Debian (or Debian derivative) package includes a debian directory, where all the information related to the Debian package is stored. Anything that's outside of that directory, is the upstream code, i.e. the original code released by whoever programmed the software.
Quote:
This is the directory that the package maintainer has added to the source code to build the package.

In this directory you'll usually find lots of files related to Debian's version of the program, Debian specific patches, manpages, documentation, and so on. We won't be going any deeper about these files here. Look at its contents by typing ls.

Just keep in mind that

the rules file is the executable file that we will be running in order to build the package.

in the patches directory, there are also a number of patches applied by the maintainer

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: