Changing from a non-multilib to a multilib profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Changing from a non-multilib to a multilib profile Reply with quote

Hi there.

Semi fresh install here. I am having a bit of a second tough after doing a non-multilib install. The main problem is when I tried to change to the Desktop profile and I got libc, gcc compile errors. After a bit of tough I remember I did choose the no multilib stage3.

I was wondering: IF I decide to change profiles (I tried just an eselect profile set without any sucess), would be factible to just download the latest stage 3 and quilckly do an emerge -uD --changed-use @world? That makes sense on my head, but also sounds patchy as hell.

Might need to reinstall anyway, as I keep having key authentication problems, and from today I can' t even do an emerge --sync, but I might reconsider if I fix that.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986,

To go from no-multilib to multilib you need a different on disk layout to keep the 32 bit and 64 bit things with the same names apart.
Then you need a multilib toolchain. That's hard as it needs to be installed atomically.

installing a piece at a time does not work. Its like crossing a chasm by planning to make a number of small jumps.

The conventional wisdom is that it can't be done and that you should reinstall.
However, this is Gentoo. Several users have done it and posted instructions here.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
vladimir1986
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
vladimir1986,

To go from no-multilib to multilib you need a different on disk layout to keep the 32 bit and 64 bit things with the same names apart.
Then you need a multilib toolchain. That's hard as it needs to be installed atomically.

installing a piece at a time does not work. Its like crossing a chasm by planning to make a number of small jumps.

The conventional wisdom is that it can't be done and that you should reinstall.
However, this is Gentoo. Several users have done it and posted instructions here.

You are right, probably it would be better to clean install. And it would be a good moment now, as the system has very little packages installed. Even the .config file is being recycled on my Slackware partition, so it'll be super easy to recover without having to manually go trough the Kernel config.

But you know what? I am going to stick to my original project of seeing how far I can do with a pure 64 bit system. I know it's going to suck for playing games, but after all, I can use a different partition for that. I can stick to productivity on this install. You can also argue than Gentoo is the best for a pure 64 bit OS, as some software you usually find in 32 bit fashion can actually be recompiled for 64 bits... (I am guessing a lot of closed software will be KIA here because of that, like Steam still only offering a 32bit client for F*** You reasons)

Thanks for the reply.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986,

If you add 32 bit support to your kernel, you can run a multilib or even a 32 bit chroot on your no-multilib install.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Romanticio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladimir1986 wrote:
But you know what? I am going to stick to my original project of seeing how far I can do with a pure 64 bit system.

I posted the best way to combine Desktop and no-multilib here in post 7
It's Plasma-no-multilib but should be easy enough to change to different desktop profile.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: