Weird behaviors with Pcie network wifi on Dell Optiplex 7010
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Weird behaviors with Pcie network wifi on Dell Optiplex 7010 Reply with quote

From the beginning I say that this Dell Optiplex 7010 have been bought used. All the network wifi cards have been bought new. Inside this Dell there is a primary 16x Pcie blue slot mainly for a video card. All the video cards that I have putted in have work correctly. There is a secondary 1x Pcie slot too.

With a 1x Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01) drived by the ath9k module, if I put the card in the 1x slot it is detected as 000:abcd Vendor/Product ID by Linux and it is not possible to use it. I have to put it in the blue 16x slot to be correctly detected. Than I can use it in managed and access point modes between others. One problem is that all my computers in my wireless home network see the Atheros access point and connect to it but, they don't see them as usual. I have found no solution for this.

With a 1x Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:2723] (rev 1a) using the iwlwifi as module driver if I put this card in the 16x blue slot it is detected correctly but, it make Linux to have an oops and stop to work. I have to put it in the 1x slot and than it work perfectly even with some periodic kernel messages.

I have a 1x Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01) drived by the rtl8821ae module who work correctly on both the 16x and 1x slots but perform better in the 1x slot. I have to tweak the parameters of the rtl8821ae module to disable some ennoying kernel messages related to encryption and to be able to disable the power saving. I have to disable the power saving in managed mode using iwconfig before to put the card in master mode with Hostapd. I cannot disable the power saving in master mode. An other weird behavior of this card is that I had to remove the heatsink from the card to make it perform as well than the two other cards. It do not heat a lot anyway.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3250 with two 16x slots. All cards work perfectly in both slots except the Intel one who have to be put in the secondary slot to work perfectly. Only the Realtek allow me to create a 5G access point and only with the 165 channel frequency. It have some other 5G enabled channels but hostapd refuse to start using them. The Intel and the Atheros wifi cards cannot be use in 5G band, all 5G channels are disabled.

Well, according with my experience, the lesson is don't use a primary Pcie slot for something else than a video card. I would like to use those 3 cards in 5G but it seem's impossible. I may continue to experiment with NetworkManager who create nice Access Points with not too hard work without Hostapd.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:

Well, according with my experience, the lesson is don't use a primary Pcie slot for something else than a video card. I would like to use those 3 cards in 5G but it seem's impossible. I may continue to experiment with NetworkManager who create nice Access Points with not too hard work without Hostapd.

I disagree, imho it is all in the bios and os config.
I'm running a server with 4 pci nics, one of them sits on the main (blue) pciex16 slot and I have no problems at all
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you DaggyStyle for your comment. I'll check in the EFI/BIOS the available options who can resolv those problems. I haven't think of that but I have configure myself the bios options. They are not on the default options.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: