View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbryant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Weird problem with KMail Reply with quote

I have been working on KDE documentation for about two years. Recently I started playing around with "kdesrc-build". a script from KDE that allows one to build KDE programs from the master (development) branch at KDE. I suppose it might be used for other branches as well, but I haven't really tried to do that.

The kdesrc-build script builds execcutables in the ~/kde directory, so it's easy to keep the development version of stuff separate from the Gentoo packages I have installed. If I had been smart, I would have also created a second user account. But I didn't do that. So changes to configuration files, etc. that the KDE development version of KMail makes also affect my Gentoo version of KMail.

I had been having some trouble with the development version of Akonadi, the database management interface for KMail et al. I don't know exactly how this happened, but now when I run the Gentoo version od KMail I have two copies of "Local Folders" showing in the folder list. They both point to the same actual physical collection of email messages.

Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before? I can live with the extra set of "phantom" messages. But I'd like to figure out how to make them go away. I suppose if I uninstall all the KDE PIM apps and rebuild akonadi et al. from the ground up I can probably fix it. But I'd like to find an easier method, if possible.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's probably a duplicate maildir somewhere

if you go to settings configure kmail, accounts, receiving tap you can hit modify then it will show the directory containing the maildir
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
davidbryant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
there's probably a duplicate maildir somewhere

if you go to settings configure kmail, accounts, receiving tap you can hit modify then it will show the directory containing the maildir

Thanks for the hint, djdunn. I figured it out yesterday (there were two maildir resources defined in "collectiontable" / "resourcetable" inside the mysql backend). I deleted one of them, and the problem went away (temporarily). But later that day I tried to run the alpha version of KMail, and now it's broken again. I can probably patch it up again. "akonadiconsole" is a useful tool.

I do know where the mail data "lives" on a Gentoo system. It's at ~/.local/share/local-mail. And I have KMail working OK with one user account I have set up. The problem is with the account I'm using to compile he newest possible version of KMail. The Akonadi resources in that directory got messed up somehow when I was experimenting with two different versions of KMail. Also, I'm certain my problem is with Akonadi / mysql, not with KMail per se.

Just an observation. The "receiving" tab just shows the sub-directory structure under "Local Mail". It doesn't tell you where on the hard disk you can find the local-mail directory. On most distros it's in ~/.local/share/. But it doesn't have to be called local-mail ... that's just a convention. For example, on an openSUSE system I used to run (LEAP 13?) it was in ~/.local/share/akonadi-mail-resource/. That was about five years agp.

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: