Can Gentoo save my 32bit hardware?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engaged-Unbundle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Can Gentoo save my 32bit hardware? Reply with quote

I have an old laptop. It has a 64bit CPU but the mainboard can't support it so it's stuck on Ubuntu(Xbuntu), which is dropping 32bit support next year.

The laptop has 4gb of RAM and is functioning as a headless file server but with the nice option to be the household linux box. I could upgrade it to SSD. In other words: It's bad to throw it in the trash.

Can Gentoo really save this piece of hardware? And if so, to what degree?

I heard that vulnerabilities haven't been well patched for 32bit. What I could do is just keep the server on a private network.
Then, assuming it's possible to get something very well maintained, just keep a VPN up to date enough to publicly expose and then tunnel in, if and when I need it. (or that other super-easy VPN-like alternative I've forgotten the name of)

Finally, I really don't want a lot of hassle keeping this thing updated. The last time I used Gentoo about 10 years ago I found that it worked great at first but after 5-10 system wide upgrades something would break and need manual intervention. Also, I needed to monitor config files on every upgrade, which was a lot of hassle, time I don't have anymore to deal with, sadly.

Any comments on this plan? Perhaps I should just keep it exactly how it is, let it get out of date and get a separate Raspberry Pi just for the linux itch?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the cpu at least have sse2 support, then x86 gentoo works just fine and isn't going anywhere. You'll be building packages based on the same ebuilds that get used for amd64 so it's neither behind nor generally less secure (albeit less tested).

No sse2 can work too but it can be more annoying (especially when rust or go is involved, rust is becoming harder to avoid entirely).

4GB isn't too bad to compile too, although you may optionally prefer to build binpkgs on another machine since it's faster (can notably be done in a x86 chroot on an amd64 machine without too much hassle).

As for updating, problems tend to come up when you don't update often (i.e. wait months/years to update anything), if you update regularly while keeping sane configs and reading news, then there's rarely issues, especially nowadays in stable -- maybe was wilder 10 years ago but I wasn't there :?

If not staying headless I hope it's not a nvidia laptop though, nvidia official support for old hardware is pretty down the dumps (esp laptop offloading and x86 -- nvidia doesn't even support x86 in newer drivers) and may require workarounds in Gentoo because of it. Although nouveau can work most of the time, just not great beside just giving you a working display (but is more future proof and shouldn't become a hassle).
Engaged-Unbundle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yes, I think it has SSE2 so that's good to hear.

"although you may optionally prefer to build binpkgs on another machine"

My main laptop is a Mac. I'm not sure I want to setup a whole build environment just for this. Just curious; Is there a worker I can run on osx just to help processing only and let the Gentoo box do more of the work? I know there was something, but I've forgotten what it was called.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engaged-Unbundle wrote:
"although you may optionally prefer to build binpkgs on another machine"

My main laptop is a Mac. I'm not sure I want to setup a whole build environment just for this. Just curious; Is there a worker I can run on osx just to help processing only and let the Gentoo box do more of the work? I know there was something, but I've forgotten what it was called.

Not familiar with that myself, although in that case I feel this may just be more hassle at this point than just letting the laptop build overnight. I do recommend to use -bin (prebuilt) variants for a handful of packages where it exist for x86 (like firefox-bin has it, rust-bin good to use over building rust too, building some of these is already bad on modern hardware).

Last edited by Ionen on Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engaged-Unbundle,

You can install Parallels on your Mac and install Gentoo as a guest.
That Gentoo can do whatever you want.
distcc
binhost

An x86 install on the laptop will see about 3G RAM which is plenty to build most things.

As a first step, do a normal x86 on the laptop and see how it goes. Helpers can be added later.
All Gentoo installs are built from the same codebase, using the same ebuilds.
x86 is not as well tested as amd64

I'm curious about
Quote:
It has a 64bit CPU but the mainboard can't support it
That sounds very odd.
Would you care to expand on that.
What Make and model is it?
What is the BIOS revision?
What happens when you try to boot a 64 bit Linux kernel?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
libfab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Gentoo save my 32bit hardware? Reply with quote

MKG may save you some time.
This software has been designed to help people like you, who need Gentoo for practical purposes yet have little time to spend on it.
Currently MKG only works for amd64 (Gnome, Plasma openrc and systemd profiles, hardened profiles are being tested).
If all goes well, MKG should support x86 before late October.
If you so wish, send me a PM and I'll keep you informed of how to test and install.
Installing a Gentoo platform is just a matter of running a short command line on your amd64 platform (be it Linux or Parallels on a Mac, or even WSL2 on Windows).
The output is a DVD or USB stick installer.
The rest of the process is headless.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used VirtualBox on my macbook to host Gentoo. One advantage is the ability to pause the guest.

Installing to a decent usb 3 thumb drive is also an option now.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Pi Zero's that I mount as OTG devices from my macbook, either with ssh or RealVNC. The macbook internet connection is also shared with the Pi Zero that way. Those Pi Zero's are using Raspberry Pi OS.

Then there are 8GB Pi4's with Gentoo ...
joanandk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Gentoo save my 32bit hardware? Reply with quote

Engaged-Unbundle wrote:
Can Gentoo really save this piece of hardware?

Hi

I have a PC-Engines Alix board which is running Gentoo. I make use of a VirtualBox VM to compile everything for that board, as the board uses CF and has only 256MB RAM.
I have some custom scripts on the VM to create the Kernel and a squashfs file containing the root. So upgrading is to copy the Kernel, the squashfs file and execute Lilo and reboot the device.

There has been many tweaking and testing until the VM was creating a boot-able system for the Alix. My experience shows that using VM is far faster than using distcc (as everything make use of the faster CPU, not only the compilation).

VPN might be not possible to obtain enough troughput. I have seen that with older 32b CPU, OpenVPN tops at 2Mbps.

Gentoo helps you to keep your installation very lean. This cannot be said for any other distro.

BR
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: