Is Calculate Linux dead? [Answer: No, it just smells funny]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Is Calculate Linux dead? [Answer: No, it just smells funny] Reply with quote

[That was a Frank Zappa reference.]

I just installed the most recent Calculate Linux (21) into a VM to try it out. It installed just fine, but their own updater won't update it from the binhost. If you try to do it using portage, you find that it has passed the gentoo event horizon: the current portage requires packages that can only be installed by the current portage (because of this summer's shift to EAPI 8). I suspect this is the problem of cl-update as well, but they hide the diagnostics. CL 21 is from last April, and anybody will tell you a build that old can't be upgraded.

Am I missing something?

[Update: It's the official release that's broken beyond upgrading. There are nightly builds of every flavor of calculate, try that]

Cheers,
Jon.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently one must download the nightly build and there is currently one for 9/19/2021. Their web site it's very up-to-date.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
Apparently one must download the nightly build and there is currently one for 9/19/2021. Their web site it's very up-to-date.

Thanks! I wish I had known that the "standard" download is hopelessly out of date:

THE "STANDARD" CALCULATE LINUX DOWNLOAD IS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE! USE THE NIGHTLY BUILD!

Then everything is wonderful. I'd say it's a better Gentoo installer than Gentoo. You get a nice binhost with nice neutral use flags activated and several different flavors to choose from for common use cases.

I'm using it for containers and such that don't need or want to be compiled. But I'm asking myself why I don't just move all my computers to Calculate.

I hope this thread gets enough hits when people are wondering about why it's not working to save them the time I lost.

Cheers,

Jon.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
I hope this thread gets enough hits when people are wondering about why it's not working to save them the time I lost.
If you still have, or can regenerate, any error messages you saw when trying to use the non-nightly build, posting them somewhere in this thread may be helpful. Future users searching for an explanation will probably search for those error messages, and if the messages are reproduced verbatim in this thread, search engines are more likely to make the connection and lead the user here. (I see your note about cl-update not showing diagnostics, so there's probably no hope there, but the Portage error messages from when you tried to go by hand might still lead someone here.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: