View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoissonAerohead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Wallpaper Fails for JPEG Reply with quote

I am setting up a machine and recently tried to put up a custom wallpaper to replace the default. I am using Awesome Window Manager. When I put a test photo on the machine and made a config file in my ~/.config directory, the root window was blank. After some elimination, I am fairly sure the issue is that this is a jpeg. The default picture that comes with awesome is a png. To eliminate awesome itself as the problem, I installed nitrogen and tried to manually set the wallpaper after booting into X. I got the following result.

Code:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Gdk::PixbufError'
Aborted

I confirmed that in the absence of the wallpaper being set, nitrogen can set it to the awesome default (the png).

I am going to pull a few more pngs and jpgs in to make sure this is the case, but it seems likely to me. Does anyone know if there is a flag I need to set for Cairo or something to handle jpg?

I am otherwise able to view jpeg. I navigated my web browser to the file I tried to set as a wallpaper and opened it. It looked fine.

EDIT:

I have confirmed with 2 more pngs and 2 more jpgs.

SOLUTION:

I after poking around the dependencies a bit, I found the culprit in x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf. It was built without the jpeg use flag. While I was at it, I added the tiff use flag as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: