Filtering by username
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Filtering by username Reply with quote

Will there be a day when unsympathetic users can be filtered out of view? I myself come here for positive experience, some users are marring it for me. For instance, whatever is the idea of choosing a nickname after a mass murderer who killed millions of people is none of my business, but I'd like to have the option not to see it.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the switch to phpbb3 is made you will have the possibility to have friends and foes lists.
The posts from foe nickname are hidden.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although none of the forum guidelines specifically prohibit the username I believe motivated this post, I can certainly understand the sentiment expressed here. The general guidelines about "good etiquette" certainly seem to suggest not using the offending username. Forum administrators can rename accounts on request. Perhaps someone could convince the offending user that the existing username is in poor taste, and that the offending user should request an administrator rename the account to something more appropriate.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, how about usernames that suggest being part of (significant) hate groups be acceptable for flagging for name changes?

Just comparing the moderation between different forums, of course every forum is different.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Filtering by username Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
[..]

I can understand why people wouldn't want to be called names associated with particular groups, as it can (and often is) used for character assassination, but this is the opposite case.

Really makes me curious.. Are you able to read a newspaper? It has names of mass murderers on pretty much every single page.
To make things worse those guys are still alive and often in positions of power.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its difficult to draw the line.

We have had (may still have) a user named after a second world war German general.
We took that up with the user who asserted it was his real name and that said German general was actually his grandfather.
Are we to ban the use of real names?

Then there is the cultural side. By what cultural norms do we judge these things?
The forums users come from all over the world. It would be wrong/impossibe to suppress any cultural norms.
e.g. Do we forbid avatars containing images of female faces unless they wear a Yashmak?
Yes that's real too.

Lastly, offence is taken, not given. The forums are a microcosm of the real world.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Then there is the cultural side. By what cultural norms do we judge these things?

So true.
For example the swatika much hated in the west is an ancient symbol of energy and well-being in Hinduism.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much the name 'Stalin'. The user also starts his posts with "comrades". He doesn't say 'comrade-in-arms' - but 'comrade' still has a very negative touch, especially in combination with Stalin.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the users choice of nickname and style of writing will influence the amount of time that helpers spend on his posts.
From none at all on up.

Unfortunately phpBB-2 cannot help with that filtering.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow .... really :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote:
Lastly, offence is taken, not given.

Seems that most have a really hard time grasping that concept.

As far as not seeing users (other than the concept of just skipping over what you don't want to see) there used to be a greasemonkey script for phpbb 2 that would remove users posts, but I don't remember the name.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
It's not so much the name 'Stalin'. The user also starts his posts with "comrades". He doesn't say 'comrade-in-arms' - but 'comrade' still has a very negative touch, especially in combination with Stalin.
I thought it was a general form of address as mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comrade

I'm also familiar with the mentioned form that it is used to mock communism in general -- that's the only form I've used -- but I'm not otherwise aware of what makes it negative.

Is the problem a perception that the combination of a username and greeting is somehow promoting or otherwise supporting Soviet era communism?

To NeddySeagoon's point of where to draw the line, what happens when someone wants to ban other cultural usernames and greetings associated with non-Soviet era isms?

It seems more useful to focus on inappropriate content or problematic interactions.

Although maybe it would be easier to use a uid instead of a name and a lone @ for greeting, or no greeting at all.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Lastly, offence is taken, not given.

This is very true. I'd like to add:
Instead of filtering it so yo don't see it, you can also take the time and ask yourself why it triggers you so much you don't want to see it. Of course there are the historical events related to the example in this topic, but why does it trigger you as a person? In that way you can learn something about yourself, and that can help you grow as a person. We all have our triggers, i've also had mine over here, try to learn from it, it's worth the effort.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a bullwhip effect here. At this point we really should acknowledge that everyone can make his own decisions whether or not he wants to interact with other individuals, and without any obligation to explain himself.

I'd rather not see it evolve into a regulation though.
One example: some time ago I have actually got lectured because some user got all touchy-feely over a little metaphor.
What makes it even more funny, I've said way worse things too, and nobody cared.
So... Yeah, where do you draw the line, why is it the correct place to drat that line, how do you ensure all users know where the line is, and how will it affect the whole community?

ps: this touchy-feely user would have made his way to my personal ban list, if it was available at the time. To protect his touchy-feelings from insensitive me, at a small price of never receiving any help from me again :)
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense Taken, but Why?

Last edited by flysideways on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another forum that I frequent that has the ignore ability, while I rarely use it, it can surely improve the experience at times.
spica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Although maybe it would be easier to use a uid instead of a name and a lone @ for greeting, or no greeting at all.
:idea: additional idea: add a line onto sign up page that recommends users to avoid usage of names which are tied to well known historical persons or historical events.
This is a forum where people seek for a technical help, masquerade is not something they are looking for.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spica wrote:
add a line onto sign up page that recommends users to avoid usage of names which are tied to well known historical persons or historical events.
This is a forum where people seek for a technical help, masquerade is not something they are looking for.

You know, there are a bunch of technical forums which I avoid solely because of how hostile and punishing they are.
Sure, they do have some good content, but they are not paying me to put up with their BS. I don't want to think twice about every single letter I punch when I create a new topic or write a response.
SO is a mild example, though already bad enough I won't bother contributing. I've seen far worse too; won't name them 'cause these are non-english.
Don't mistake style for substance. Not all problems require solutoins
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways,

It's free with phpBB3, which is coming here 'real soon now'.

spica,

That hard bit about changing the login page is that it is available in lots of languages.
We don't have the language skills to support them all.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: