Help getting Nvidia GeForce MX450 working properly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Help getting Nvidia GeForce MX450 working properly Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've bought myself a new laptop (Dell Latitude 5520) with an 11th Gen i7, 16 GB RAM, and a Nvidia GeForce MX450 that I'm trying to get working properly with SLiM and FVWM.

I can boot to a logon screen, login and get FVWM, and the Xorg log seems to say it's loading the NVIDIA driver (see Xorg.0.log linked below).

If I attach my USB-C dock with two external monitors and try booting that way, I get a black backlit laptop screen, and nothing on the monitors (status light shows orange (no signal)). If I detach the USB-C dock and restart display-manager, I get SLiM fine. I can then attach the USB-C dock and use xrandr after login to set up the two displays, then restart FVWM so it sees the new layout, and the three screens work fine.

Also, when I run Minecraft and check the F3 output, it tells me it's using MESA Intel Iris Xe, not Nvidia, and I'm getting down to 15 FPS at times on a relatively new vanilla world.

What's the proper setup for this? Should I be following the Intel or Nvidia driver guides, or both? What about Optimus? Is the xorg.conf required, or should I expect to get it working without one?

I've linked some info that I think may be helpful; let me know if more is needed. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get this working better.

lscpu : https://pastebin.com/KTaL9kkg
lspci -knn : https://pastebin.com/3fJZYN7j
Kernel config : https://pastebin.com/WHtSumN0
dmesg : https://pastebin.com/6F8JCJrU
Xorg.0.log : https://pastebin.com/U2UH8rz1
lsmod : https://pastebin.com/9h4LELE0
emerge --info : https://pastebin.com/0UifWAqD
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thinkpad with NVIDIA on it running ubuntu 20.04, it's a pain because you have two gpus.
try setting the PRIME profile in NVIDIA-settinsg to ondemand or performance.

you can use optirun to define which gpu you will use when running minecraft.

what I found useful for me and my co workers with that is to disable one of the gpus
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DaggyStyle, that thought had occurred to me; it turns out it's really difficult to find a computer these days without integrated graphics, I wanted a basic discrete GPU for basic gaming (Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Terraria), and I wound up getting this one as a compromise at 40% off for EOFY. Although if I understand correctly, things are shifting in the other direction, and Intel are starting to make CPUs without GPUs? Seems so much simpler when I built my first computer in 1995...

Would disabling the Intel GPU be something I'd do in BIOS, or is it done via kernel / Xorg / portage config?

And "optirun" sounds a lot like "optifine", but it doesn't appear to be a Minecraft mod. :-P Do I install that as part of x11-misc/bumblebee? That's being blocked by steam-client-meta from steam-overlay. :-S I also haven't set up Optimus yet; will it still work? And I was presuming that if I'm using the proprietary Nvidia drivers, I'd need to use the proprietary Optimus, but perhaps they're not tied together?

Time for more research....

Quote:
jmoe@dream ~ $ sudo emerge -a bumblebee
Password:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] acct-group/bumblebee-0
[ebuild N ] dev-util/opencl-headers-2021.04.29
[ebuild N ] sys-power/bbswitch-0.8_p20200526 USE="-dist-kernel"
[ebuild N ] dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader-2021.04.29 USE="-test" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild N ] virtual/opencl-3-r1 ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild N ] x11-misc/virtualgl-2.6.5-r4 USE="ssl" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild N ] x11-misc/bumblebee-3.2.1_p20210112-r4 USE="bbswitch" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -nouveau"
[blocks B ] x11-misc/virtualgl[-abi_x86_32] ("x11-misc/virtualgl[-abi_x86_32]" is blocking games-util/steam-client-meta-0-r20210804)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(x11-misc/virtualgl-2.6.5-r4:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
x11-misc/virtualgl required by (x11-misc/bumblebee-3.2.1_p20210112-r4:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="bbswitch" ABI_X86="(64)" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -nouveau"

(games-util/steam-client-meta-0-r20210804:0/0::steam-overlay, installed) pulled in by
games-util/steam-client-meta[steamruntime?] (games-util/steam-client-meta[steamruntime]) required by (games-util/steam-meta-0-r20160817:0/0::steam-overlay, installed) USE="steamruntime" ABI_X86="(64)"

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a bios feature. try looking for it.
for me it was harder to get the bios passwd from IT than to find and disable it in the bios.

btw, if you set nvidia-settings PRIME profile to performance, it will use mostly you nvidia gpu while keeping the other one in case you want to use it in a multiseat setup or something like that
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near as I can work out, disabling in BIOS isn't an option for me. But I've emerged prime-run, and using that, Minecraft now reports using Nvidia rather than MESA Intel, as does glxinfo. Basically, with my setup, I have VIDEO_CARDS set to i965, intel, iris, and nvidia, added nvidia to USE, and that seems to be the extent of the config needed.

Hopefully, before long the documentation (both in Gentoo and elsewhere) will catch up and iGPU/dGPU, Bumblebee/Optimus, and PRIME will be easier to figure out, but for now, this appears to be working for me. The only current documentation I could find was Nvidia's driver documentation, but I wasn't able to follow it and get it working; I presume it would have made switching between the two GPUs automatic, but I'll have to live with using prime-run when needed.

Thanks for the info, DaggyStyle.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkMoon74 wrote:
Near as I can work out, disabling in BIOS isn't an option for me. But I've emerged prime-run, and using that, Minecraft now reports using Nvidia rather than MESA Intel, as does glxinfo. Basically, with my setup, I have VIDEO_CARDS set to i965, intel, iris, and nvidia, added nvidia to USE, and that seems to be the extent of the config needed.

Hopefully, before long the documentation (both in Gentoo and elsewhere) will catch up and iGPU/dGPU, Bumblebee/Optimus, and PRIME will be easier to figure out, but for now, this appears to be working for me. The only current documentation I could find was Nvidia's driver documentation, but I wasn't able to follow it and get it working; I presume it would have made switching between the two GPUs automatic, but I'll have to live with using prime-run when needed.

Thanks for the info, DaggyStyle.

as said, the best close thing to bios disablement is setting the profile to performance in nvidia-settings
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any PRIME settings in my nvidia-settings; do you mean PowerMizer? That's the only thing I can find with Performance as a setting.

https://imgur.com/a/s9rgJ70
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this will help: https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.27.04/README/primerenderoffload.html
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that appears to be what I'm using; prime-run seems to just be a shortcut script that sets those variables and runs the command specified. :-)

Code:
jmoe@dream ~ $ cat `which prime-run`
#!/bin/bash
__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia "$@"
segmentation-fault
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkMoon74 wrote:

If I attach my USB-C dock with two external monitors and try booting that way, I get a black backlit laptop screen, and nothing on the monitors (status light shows orange (no signal)). If I detach the USB-C dock and restart display-manager, I get SLiM fine. I can then attach the USB-C dock and use xrandr after login to set up the two displays, then restart FVWM so it sees the new layout, and the three screens work fine.

Well, I would look in a different direction: USB Type-C hubs use internally the PCI Express bus and since they are removable, they need hot-plugging functionality in the kernel to be recognized. Even then, my own Type-C hub is not recognized when I boot with it already being plugged-in - I have to plug it in manually later, in order to produce the hot-plug event that triggers the recognition of the hub. This may explain that you have to re-insert your hub to make things work.

Quote:

Some newer USB Type-C root hubs are only enabled when a device is connected to the port. This requires PCI-hotplug support to function. This should also allow hotplugging Thunderbolt devices.

KERNEL PCI Hotplugging

Device Drivers --->
[*] PCI support --->
[*] PCI Express Port Bus support
[*] PCI Express Hotplug driver
[*] Support for PCI Hotplug --->
[*] ACPI PCI Hotplug driver

(https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide#USB_Type-C_and_Thunderbolt)

If you are looking for the CONFIG_* parameters (to be seen in your /usr/src/linux/.config file), I have:

Code:

CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
# CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_HOTPLUG_CPU0 is not set
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0 is not set
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_SMT=y
# CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI_IBM=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI_ZT5550=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI_GENERIC=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_SHPC=y
CONFIG_MLXREG_HOTPLUG=m
CONFIG_CPU_HOTPLUG_STATE_CONTROL=y

Off-topic, but important:

:arrow: A WARNING from my own painful experience with a GeForce GTX 980M: any power level other than "Performance" drives the power consumption down - unfortunately DOWN TOO MUCH!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: