Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
multiseat with one monitor and nested kwin-wayland?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: multiseat with one monitor and nested kwin-wayland? Reply with quote

is it possible to run multiseat with only one graphic card and one monitor using kwin-wayland nested?

i have a projector which can show a large screen on the wall in my living room. The projector is used as monitor for my desktop PC which have intel GPU and only one VGA port.

now, i want to share the projector with my kid.

its easy to start a new kde-plasma session with command: XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland

but this nested kwin-wayland share the same keyboard and mouse with its parent.

So, i want to create a new seat with loginctl and associate the nested kwin-wayland with this new seat, is it possible?

i find relevant tutorial here: https://blog.ladslezak.cz/2018/08/11/dual-head-dual-seat-two-users-at-one-computer-at-the-same-time/

and my current seat0 status contant something as follows,

seat0
Sessions: *1
Devices:
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
│ input:input1 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input10
│ input:input10 "Video Bus"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
│ input:input0 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0
│ [MASTER] drm:card0
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1
│ [MASTER] drm:card0-VGA-1
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/graphics/fb0
│ graphics:fb0 "i915drmfb"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1
│ usb:usb1

if i run:

loginctl attach seatNest0 /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1

i can see this device appear under seatNest0 now, but it is removed from seat0, which i don't think OK. I think this device shall be shared seat0 and seatNest0, is it possible?

I had tried Windows multipoint server, where i can "split" the projector screen into two parts and used by two "seats". But i need a linux solution.

I also have a laptop, which have buildin LVDS screen and i can connect the projector to it through HDMI. And with loginctl , i can attach LVDS and HDMI to different seats. But i see only one graphics/fb device in the list, is it because i only have one GPU? can i configure multiseat with this laptop?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: